The Final Victory
A Novel Inspired by True Events
by Roger Jones
You must sign in to see if this title is available for request. Sign In or Register Now
Send NetGalley books directly to your Kindle or Kindle app
To read on a Kindle or Kindle app, please add firstname.lastname@example.org as an approved email address to receive files in your Amazon account. Click here for step-by-step instructions.
Also find your Kindle email address within your Amazon account, and enter it here.
Pub Date 30 Apr 2024 | Archive Date 31 May 2024
THE RACE TO WIN BACK HOPE
In a novel that fuses the riveting action of The Boys in the Boat with the emotional heft of The Fault in Our Stars, twenty men and women with cancer-ridden bodies compete in a grueling race only to discover that real victory is achieved within.
After he is diagnosed with neuroendocrine cancer, Tripp Avery feels like all is lost. He finds himself coaching a team of twelve men and eight women with cancer diagnoses of their own, hoping to qualify for the Mixed Masters Dragon Boat national championship and defy their prognoses. If they win, they will represent the United States at the International Dragon Boat races in Hong Kong.
But things soon get complicated, as four of his teammates struggle against their physical limitations and the psychological weight of their conditions. In the summer heat of Chattanooga, their resolve grows thin—along with Tripp’s patience. After a devastating loss to the defending national champions, Tripp can only see the finish line, and he pushes the team even harder. Soon, the team starts to fall apart.
As members of the team collapse under the pressure and one is hospitalized, he must confront his own failings and find a way to move forward. He begins to question his motives, wondering if the win is worth the trauma and what that says about him. Despite the odds, he resolves to rally the team toward a comeback that seems impossible, if only for one final victory.
- “In this notable debut, Roger Jones explores the strength, resilience, compassion, and willpower of a band of athletes who define courage and triumph over unspeakable odds. These twenty men and women overcome cancer to not merely win a national championship but to survive. I laughed. I cried. I was inspired. The Final Victory is an uplifting novel we all need to read.” – Mary Alice Monroe, New York Times bestselling author
- “A bitter, hardened coach, facing his own illness and inner demons, reluctantly agrees to lead a crew of cancer survivors in their quest for a national championship in a dragon boat race. Ultimately, the race becomes a metaphor not only for the struggle to survive but also a pathway for redemption. Based on a true story, The Final Victory is the kind of spiritually uplifting novel that you’ll want to share with everyone you know.” – Cassandra King, award-winning author of Tell Me a Story: My Life with Pat Conroy
- “An inspiring and stirring tale of courage, The Final Victory is inspired by the true story of a group of athletes who face life-threatening illnesses and are bonded together by their indomitable will to win. Jones gives us a novel that is equal parts laugh out loud funny, moving, and uplifting. You will love it!” – Patti Henry, New York Times bestselling author of Becoming Mrs. Lewis
- “In this excellent book, Roger Jones plumbs the depths of driven competitors in a powerful, compelling way. In the end, they learn what really matters. Read this wonderful novel and you will as well.” – Bill Curry, author of Ten Men You Meet in a Huddle, winner of two Super Bowls with the Green Bay Packers, former Head Coach at Georgia Tech and Alabama
- “To push oneself to the limit in sport while dealing with a life-debilitating disease defies logic. It’s the drive to win against the odds—to conquer the unconquerable—that fuels the members of this incredible dragon boat team. The story of their journey together is truly inspiring!” – Cathy Graham, Co-owner, Copperfish Books, Punta Gorda, FL
- "One man tells his story of surviving and living. It is the story of thousands of people. It is an example to us all. As a physician, I thank Roger Jones for sharing awareness of Neuroendocrine cancer. As a human, I thank him for allowing me to experience the power of hope, teamwork and love." – Eric Liu, MD Internationally recognized surgeon specializing in neuroendocrine tumors, Co-Director, Rocky Mountain Cancer Centers and The Neuroendocrine Institute
- "A little parable from heaven. So much a person could use to reflect upon their own strengths and weaknesses in how they deal with themselves and the people they love… A good story told well." — Jeffrey Blount, author of Mr. Jimmy from Around the Way
- “I feel honored to have this book in my hands. A true labor of love... Thank you for writing this novel.” — Sarah Evans, Executive Director, Dragon Boat Charleston
- Partnership with Dragon Boat festivals and teams
- ARC submission to all major trade review publications
- Host 2-3 giveaways on Goodreads, StoryGraph, and/or LibraryThing
- Media outreach to local and national outlets: magazines, newspapers, podcasts
- Conduct pitches for author events, interviews, features, and op-eds
- Multiphase social media campaign
- Outreach through the Beaufort Bookfluencer Program
- Book blogger and social media influencer outreach campaigns
- Amazon A+ content
- DRC uploaded to Edelweiss
- Monthly e-blast newsletter features to Beaufort’s 400+ contacts
- Front page spotlight on the Beaufort Books website
- Ongoing submission for special promotions with major retailers
- Submission for award consideration to (including but not limited to): Foreword INDIES, IPPY Awards, and Shelf Unbound Best Indie Book Competition
Average rating from 2 members
What a remarkable book about a competitive journey of twenty determined incredible people! Roger captured my attention from beginning to end. The experiences and emotions of the cancer survivors are relatable to those who have had close ones go through the ordeal while others could learn what it involves and how it affects the patient and family. The reader will cheer on each paddler to good health, while cheering on each paddler in the teams' quest to capture the gold. There is much wisdom to be learned especially how to live each day. You will walk away with a new hold on life.