The Dangers of Loving a Rogue

Pub Date 14 Dec 2022 | Archive Date 15 Jan 2023

Talking about this book? Use #TheDangersofLovingaRogue #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

If not for deplorable timing, Celia Breckenridge might have avoided a pirate attack. She’s grateful for her rescuer, truly, however the stubborn man is sailing in the wrong direction! Most alarming still? The silver-eyed rogue is devilishly attractive and Celia must keep reminding herself she’s betrothed to another.

Jackson Beaumont had a plan: sail to the Caribbean; find a hidden cache of emeralds; return to society a wealthy man. Alas, he arrives in Charles Town with marauding pirates, a disgruntled heiress, and a hurricane at his heels. Rescuing the lady from pirates posed little challenge - allowing her to return to her betrothed is proving far more difficult.

But Jack won’t return to England without his fortune, and when it comes to another man’s bride, he’s not above a little plundering himself.

EDITION Ebook
PAGES 400

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Celia Breckenbridge longs for an adventure before she is to be married to her betrothed Brett, who is more like a brother to he than anything else. So when her aunt falls ill, she travels to the Bahamas to visit her. When she returns, her ship is attacked by vicious pirates but fortunately she is rescued by Jackson Beaumont.
What I expected was a typical pirate story with a pirate lord and a lay on his ship. But this story turned quite differently, which was refreshing.
There were a few things at the beginning that made me doubt this book. The pirate attack contained quite a graphic description of the violence, I skipped that, I don’t like to read it quite so detailed. Also, it was assumed that Celia “feels things, knows things about her sister and her surroundings” - totally hate that stuff, I would scrap that. Then there was talk about Jack’s loins: ‘blood had dispatched to his loins with vicious intensity.’ So I seriously wondered what kind of story this would be and what would happen next.
But things got a lot better after that. There was a surprising storyline, which created the circumstances for Jack and Celia to grow closer and for their relationship to develop naturally. I really liked the way it was handled.
The writer has the ability to paint a picture, making you see every scene in detail, as if watching a movie. Very well done!
In the end Celia acted very immature and egotistical, which was disappointing, and the end wasn’t this bombshell you might expect. It didn’t work for me. But the dialogues with Jack are marvelous, I was really rooting for him and totally agreed with his reasoning. The secondary characters are lovely; the shipmates, Celia’s family and the twist with Brett and Jack and Rianna brought a smile on my face. Overall, a nice read and well worth your time.
I received and reviewed an advanced copy of this book and am grateful for this opportunity. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Celia Breckenridge takes the opportunity to visit her ailing aunt in the Bahamas, having longed for an adventure before she resigns herself to marrying her betrothed and childhood friend Brett. After Celia's aunt passes away, she seeks quick passage back to England to see her sister. However, Celia's shipped is attacked and raided by pirates before Celia, the lone survivor from her ship, is saved by the handsome Captain Jack Beaumont and his ship.

Overall, I enjoyed this story. Jack was very endearing and it was lovely to watch Celia and Jack's relationship develop. We really get to see the friendship they come to have with each other. Each character, even the side characters, were quite unique and well-developed. The story is certainly filled with lots of adventure, and the dialogue was highly entertaining.

The writing, while quite good, wasn't quite to my personal taste though. It was wonderfully descriptive and usually engaging, but it moved at a very slow pace and I thought some things could have been left out for a snappier story to keep my interest stronger. Also, the use of 'Twas, 'Tis, 'Tisn't and etc. outside of dialogue was quite distracting.

I am thankful for receiving an advanced copy to read and review with my honest opinion.

I really enjoyed this pirate story - some great twists, a psychic link, and a feisty heroine I cheered for. I’m hoping there’s a sequel with her sister’s story.

I loved this captor captive story and relationship between Celia and when her ship gets attacked by pirates and this pirate lord named Jackson Beaumont.
The beginning of the story I feel was a little slow and dragged on but it got good in the middle and end. I loved the slow burn of the two characters.
The cover of this book is what brought me to apply for the book and hope I get approved to read it. I am greatful I got to read this book!