A breathtaking YA pirate romance based on the true story of a girl who disguised herself as a boy in order to sail with the infamous pirates Anne Bonny and Calico Jack.
There’s no place for a girl in Mary’s world. Not in the home of her mum, desperately drunk and poor. Not in the household of her wealthy granny, where a girl could never be named an heir. And certainly not in the arms of Nat, her childhood love who never knew her for who she was. As a sailor aboard a Caribbean merchant ship, Mary’s profession—and her safety—depend on her ability to disguise the fact that she’s a girl.
At least, that’s what she thinks is true. But then pirates attack the ship, and right in the middle of the swashbuckling crowd of bloodthirsty pirates, Mary spots something she never could have imagined: a girl pirate. The sight of a girl standing unafraid upon the deck, gun and sword in hand, changes everything. In a split-second decision, Mary turns her gun on her own captain and earns herself a spot among the pirates’ crew.
For the first time, Mary has a shot at freedom. But imagining living life as her true self is easier, it seems, than actually doing it. And when Mary finds herself falling for the captain’s mistress, she risks everything—her childhood love, her place among the crew, and even her life.
“At this point, Sky Pony Press is basically the BOOM! Box of YA publishers. If you’re not a comics nerd, you probably don’t get that reference, but suffice it to say, they’re a small publisher rocking the marketplace with fantastic, unique, and inclusively diverse young adult fiction.”—Tor.com
· DEBUT NOVEL
· Trend alert! Much-buzzed-about bestsellers like Passenger and The Girl from Everywhere are ushering in a new era of pirates in YA.
· Pirate madness: With another movie in the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise releasing in May 2017, pirates are only going to get bigger.
· Name recognition: Fans of the TV show Black Sails will recognize Anne Bonny's infamous lover, Mary Read, who introduces herself to Anne as Mark Read in the show's final episode in April 2017.
· #WeNeedDiverseBooks: Mary Reade’s feminist and LGBTQ themes speak to the #WeNeedDiverseBooks movement and many calls for both incidental diversity and strong female protagonists.
· Great romance: The love triangle is sure to have fans split between their favorite love interest!
· Based on a true story: The real Mary Reade sailed with Anne Bonny and “Calico” Jack Rackham and, along with Bonny, is one of only two women convicted of piracy on record.
· Big-name blurbers: Rita Williams-Garcia (Newbery Honor and Scott O’Dell Award winner) and An Na (Printz winner and National Book Award finalist) have both agreed to blurb.