A Girl Returned
by Donatella Di Pietrantonio
Pub Date 12 Jul 2019
Talking about this book? Be sure to tag it using #AgirlReturned #NetGalley
Winner of the Campiello Prize.
A pitch-perfect rendering in English by Ann Goldstein, Elena Ferrante’s translator.
“I was theArminuta, the girl returned. I spoke another language, I no longer knew who I belonged to. The word ‘mama’ stuck in my throat like a toad. And, nowadays, I really have no idea what kind of place mother is. It is not mine in the way one might have good health, a safe place, certainty.”
Told with an immediacy and a rare expressive intensity that has earned it countless adoring readers and one of Italy’s most prestigious literary prizes,A Girl Returned is a powerful novel rendered with sensitivity and verve by Ann Goldstein, translator of the works of Elena Ferrante. Set against the stark, beautiful landscape of Abruzzo in central Italy, this is a compelling story about mothers and daughters, about responsibility, siblings, and caregiving.
Without warning or explanation, an unnamed 13-year-old girl is sent away from the family she has always thought of as hers to live with her birth family: a large, chaotic assortment of individuals whom she has never met and who seem anything but welcoming. Thus begins a new life, one of struggle, tension, and conflict, especially between the young girl and her mother. But in her relationship with Adriana and Vincenzo, two of her newly acquired siblings, she will find the strength to start again and to build a new and enduring sense of self.
Marketing & Publicity
• Reading group outreach and advertising; discussion questions available
• Submission to B&N Discover
• Targeted outreach to strong Ferrante stores
• Galleys available
• E-galley available on Edelweiss + NetGalley • Library outreach // Library Reads
• Winter Institute 2019 galley room + rep picks • Submission to Indies Introduce
• Major media outreach
• Key reviews and interviews with the author to be translated and distributed
• Interviews with the award-winning Italian author in print media
• Parenting publication outreach
• Women’s magazines and translation focus