Klara and the Sun

A novel

Pub Date 02 Mar 2021 | Archive Date 19 Aug 2021

Talking about this book? Use #KlaraandtheSun #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

NEW YORK TIMES BEST SELLER • Once in a great while, a book comes along that changes our view of the world. This magnificent novel from the Nobel laureate and author of Never Let Me Go is “an intriguing take on how artificial intelligence might play a role in our futures ... a poignant meditation on love and loneliness” (The Associated Press).

BOOKER PRIZE LONGLIST Nominee • GOOD MORNING AMERICA Book Club Pick • On PRESIDENT OBAMA’S SUMMER 2021 READING LIST

“What stays with you in ‘Klara and the Sun’ is the haunting narrative voice—a genuinely innocent, egoless perspective on the strange behavior of humans obsessed and wounded by power, status and fear.” —Booker Prize committee

Here is the story of Klara, an Artificial Friend with outstanding observational qualities, who, from her place in the store, watches carefully the behavior of those who come in to browse, and of those who pass on the street outside. She remains hopeful that a customer will soon choose her. Klara and the Sun is a thrilling book that offers a look at our changing world through the eyes of an unforgettable narrator, and one that explores the fundamental question: what does it mean to love?