The Truth About Her

Pub Date 07 Apr 2021 | Archive Date 30 Apr 2021

Talking about this book? Use #TheTruthAboutHer #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

How can you write other people's stories, when you won't admit the truth of your own? An absorbing, moving, ruefully tender, witty and wise novel of marriage, motherhood and the paths we navigate through both, for fans of Ann Patchett and Anne Tyler.

Journalist and single mother Suzy Hamilton gets a phone call one summer morning, and finds out that the subject of one of her investigative exposes, 25-year-old wellness blogger Tracey Doran, has killed herself overnight. Suzy is horrified by this news but copes in the only way she knows how - through work, mothering, and carrying on with her ill-advised, tandem affairs.

The consequences of her actions catch up with Suzy over the course of a sticky Sydney summer. She starts receiving anonymous vindictive letters and is pursued by Tracey's mother wanting her, as a kind of rough justice, to tell Tracey's story, but this time, the right way.

A tender, absorbing, intelligent and moving exploration of guilt, shame, female anger, and, in particular, mothering, with all its trouble and treasure, The Truth About Her is mostly though a story about the nature of stories - who owns them, who gets to tell them, and why we need them. An entirely striking, stylish and contemporary novel, from a talented new writer.

Advance Praise

‘Read the first sentence of Jacqueline Maley’s debut novel, and you will be in it until the end. Electrifying, deeply unsettling and so, so satisfying. And, if you’ve ever tried to manage the sharp end of a career with the blunt demands of parenthood, fiercely recognisable.’ Meg Mason, author of Sorrow and Bliss

‘I loved The Truth About Her. I could not put it down - whip-smart, sexy and with so much heart – and god, that ending packed a punch. The sort of book that all mothers need to read.’ Eliza Henry- Jones, author of In the Quiet and Ache

‘I loved The Truth About Her. It's an intelligent, compelling, nuanced tale of guilt, culpability, pride, shame and atonement. But most of all, it's a love letter to daughters, from the mothers who raise them. I read this novel pretty much all in one fascinated go, so compelling is it. But the nuance is such that I immediately want to read it again. Jacqueline Maley has done more than "just" write a gripping, thought provoking novel. She has given luminous voice to the fierce, protective love of the single parent in a way I cannot recollect encountering anywhere else. A superb and original love story. An astoundingly good debut.’ Annabel Crabb

‘A stunning novel, sharply observed, beautifully written, enthralling.’ Julia Baird

EDITION Paperback