Unfollow Me

Essays on Complicity

Pub Date 07 Sep 2021 | Archive Date 31 Aug 2021
Bloomsbury USA, Bloomsbury Publishing

Talking about this book? Use #UnfollowMe #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

An intimate, impertinent, and incisive collection about race, progress, and hypocrisy from Jill Louise Busby, aka Jillisblack.

Jill Louise Busby spent years in the nonprofit sector specializing in Diversity & Inclusion. She spoke at academic institutions, businesses, and detention centers on the topics of Race, Power, and Privilege and delivered over two-hundred workshops to nonprofit organizations all over the California Bay Area.

In 2016, fed up with what passed as progressive in the Pacific Northwest, Busby uploaded a one-minute video about race, white institutions, and faux liberalism to Instagram. The video received millions of views across social platforms. As her pithy persona Jillisblack became an "it-voice" weighing in on all things race-based, Jill began to notice parallels between her performance of "diversity" in the white corporate world and her performance of "wokeness" for her followers. Both, she realized, were scripted.

Unfollow Me is a memoir-in-essays about these scripts; it's about tokenism, micro-fame, and inhabiting spaces-real and virtual, black and white-where complicity is the price of entry. Busby's social commentary manages to be both wryly funny and achingly open-hearted as she recounts her shape-shifting moves among the subtle hierarchies of progressive communities. Unfollow Me is a sharply personal and self-questioning critique of white fragility (and other words for racism), respectability politics (and other words for shame), and all the places where fear masquerades as progress.

Jill Louise Busby spent years in the nonprofit sector specializing in...

Advance Praise

“Real, raw, and unrelenting. Full of brilliance and badassness. Now is definitely not the time to be unfollowing Jill.” —Killer Mike

Unfollow Me reminds me of just how much courage I lack. Busby is asking us to sort and see our many selves in a more honest light. And for that, I am grateful.” —Jason Reynolds

Unfollow Me demands a follow, a like, a heart emoji, and a reader who is not afraid to be floored.” —Darnell L. Moore

Unfollow Me reminds me of just how much courage I lack. Busby is...

PRICE CA$35.00 (CAD)