Dancing in Thatha’s Footsteps

Pub Date 30 Jun 2021 | Archive Date 10 Aug 2021
Yali Books, Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA), Members' Titles

Talking about this book? Use #DancinginThathasFootsteps #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Celebrate AAPI Heritage Month With an Own Voices Picture Book Featuring a South Asian American Family That Loves to Dance!

On Sundays, Varun has his karate lesson, and his sister Varsha heads to dance school with their grandfather. One weekend, Varun reluctantly accompanies his sister to her lesson. Bored of waiting, he peeks into the classroom, and almost immediately, he is fascinated by the rhythm and grace of bharatanatyam, a dance from India that Varsha is learning to perfect. Varun tries a few moves at home in secret because…well, boys don’t dance, do they? His grandfather is not so sure. Will Thatha be able to convince Varun to dance in his footsteps?

This charming picture book celebrates a multigenerational Tamil-American family’s love for bharatanatyam. An ancient classical dance form that originated in India, bharatanatyam continues to be taught and performed worldwide today. Diasporic Indian communities see classical dance as a way to connect with their heritage, and bharatanatyam is especially popular with young dancers. This book serves as a gentle reminder that bharatanatyam has always been a dance form for all genders and that dance is an activity for everyone to enjoy.

A Note From the Publisher

Book illustrator: Kavita Ramchandran

Paperback: 9781949528893

eBook: 9781949528886

Book illustrator: Kavita Ramchandran

Paperback: 9781949528893

eBook: 9781949528886

Advance Praise

“This book’s charming protagonist and believable plot provide a wonderful opening for conversations about the dangers of strict gender constructs.”
Kirkus Reviews

“I absolutely loved it! It resonated with me so much and reminded me of all the struggles and mental hurdles I faced as a young boy. This is so important for young readers to have.”
—Jeeno Joseph, NYC-based bharatanatyam dancer

“I’ve been teaching dance for the past 30 years and my son has been my only male student. This book was relatable for me.”
–Vidya Babu, bharatanatyam teacher from Chicago, IL

Kirkus Reviews

“I absolutely loved it! It resonated...

Marketing Plan

Virtual book fests and author events, Blog tours, Bookstagram and BookTube reviews, LibraryThing giveaway, Asian-American press coverage.

EDITION Hardcover