Why Did Jesus Live a Perfect Life?

The Necessity of Christ's Obedience for Our Salvation

Pub Date 26 Oct 2021 | Archive Date 26 Dec 2021

Talking about this book? Use #WhyDidJesusLiveaPerfectLife #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

How does Christ's obedience relate to our salvation? Speaking into current conversations about the nature of salvation, respected New Testament scholar Brandon Crowe argues that we are saved by Christ's perfect obedience, which has implications for understanding the gospel message, Christian hope, and discipleship. Jesus is not only the quintessential model of faithfulness in a fallen world, but his unique work frees us from the burden of perfect obedience.

Advance Praise

“In the extensive debates over justification that have captured a great deal of attention in the last quarter century, relatively little space has been allotted to the role of Jesus’s obedience. That lacuna has now been admirably filled by Brandon Crowe. The combination of his careful exegesis and his knowledge of earlier Reformed debates makes him an admirable guide across terrain that should not be bypassed.”—D. A. Carson, emeritus professor of New Testament, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School

“Many Christians today understand that Christ had to suffer on our behalf and bear the penalty for our sin, but they have no idea why Jesus also had to live a perfect life. Yet without the active obedience of Christ, how can we be justified before God? With profound biblical and theological insight, Brandon Crowe teaches us that we not only need our sins forgiven but also need the spotless righteousness of our Savior. Apart from the imputation of Christ’s righteousness, our salvation is incomplete! Here is a book that is not only accessible but timely: in a day when imputation is often rejected, Crowe reveals just how critical Christ’s entire life is to our union with Christ. There is no hope without it.”—Matthew Barrett, associate professor of Christian theology, Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary; host of the Credo Podcast

Send to Kindle (MOBI)