Good Intentions

A Novel

Pub Date 08 Mar 2022 | Archive Date 08 Apr 2022
Henry Holt & Company, Henry Holt and Co.

Talking about this book? Use #GoodIntentions #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

"An unbelievably gorgeous debut."—Angie Kim, bestselling author of Miracle Creek

For fans of The Big Sick and Nick Hornby
—a magnetic debut novel about a young man who has hidden a romance from his parents, unable to choose between familial obligation and the future he truly wants.

If love really is a choice, how do you decide where your loyalties lie?

It’s the countdown to the New Year, and Nur is steeling himself to tell his parents that he’s seeing someone. A young British Pakistani man, Nur has spent years omitting details about his personal life to maintain his image as the golden child. And it’s come at a cost.

Once, Nur was a restless college student, struggling to fit in. At a party, he meets Yasmina, a beautiful and self-possessed aspiring journalist. They start a conversation—first awkward, then absorbing. And as their relationship develops, so too does Nur’s self-destruction. He falls deeper into traps of his own making, attempting to please both Yasmina and his family until he must finally reveal the truth: Yasmina is Black, and he loves her.

Deftly transporting readers between that first night and the years beyond, Kasim Ali's Good Intentions exposes with unblinking authenticity the complexities of immigrant families and racial prejudice. It is a crackling, wryly clever depiction of standing on the precipice of adulthood, piecing together who it is you’re meant to be.

For fans of The Big Sick and Nick Hornby
—a magnetic debut novel about a young man who has hidden a romance from his...

Advance Praise

"Compelling, emotionally honest, and unafraid of the gray areas of race, faith, sexuality, and love. Kasim Ali's debut Good Intentions shows how complicated relationships can be, even with the best of intentions."
—Lillian Li, author of Number One Chinese Restaurant

"A sensitive, smooth-toned, and absorbingly honest novel that makes us question our inner worlds at a time when this kind of self-examination might be the thing that saves us."
—Diana Evans, author of Ordinary People

"Good Intentions is a magnificent and messy love story that broke my heart. Bittersweet and tender, Ali writes about modern day relationships with such compassion. This is a novel for anyone who has ever known what it is to be conflicted in falling in love, feeling the expectations of our families but also ourselves."
—Huma Qureshi, author of How We Met

"I found Good Intentions moving, modern, and utterly engaging. What a talent."
—Rhik Samadder, author of I Never Said I Love You