Let's Not Do That Again

A Novel

Pub Date 05 Apr 2022 | Archive Date 06 May 2022
Henry Holt & Company, Henry Holt and Co.

Talking about this book? Use #LetsNotDoThatAgain #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

From Grant Ginder, the author of The People We Hate at the Wedding, soon to be a major motion picture starring Kristen Bell, Allison Janney and Ben Platt, comes a poignant, funny, and slyly beguiling novel which proves that, like democracy, family is a messy and fragile thing —perfect for fans of Veep’s biting humor, the family drama of Succession, and the joys of Kevin Wilson’s Nothing to See Here.

Nancy Harrison is running for Senate, and she’s going to win, goddamnit. Not that that’s her slogan, although it could be. She’s said all the right things. Passed all the right legislation. Chapped her lips kissing babies. There’s just one problem: her grown children.

Greta and Nick Harrison are adrift. Nick is floundering in his attempts to write a musical about the life of Joan Didion (called Hello to All That!). And then there’s his little sister Greta. Smart, pretty, and completely unmotivated, allowing her life to pass her by like the shoppers at the Apple store where she works.

One morning the world wakes up not to Nancy making headlines, but her daughter, Greta. She’s in Paris. With extremist protestors. Throwing a bottle of champagne through a beloved bistro’s front window. In order to save her campaign, not to mention her daughter, Nancy and Nick must find Greta before it’s too late.

Smart, funny and tear-jerking, Let’s Not Do That Again shows that family, like politics, can hurt like a mother.

Advance Praise

“Nobody’s better than Grant Ginder at creating characters who are deeply flawed, vividly human, and wholly recognizable. Let’s Not Do That Again is not only perfectly tuned to this moment in time, but is hilarious, suspenseful, and whip smart. It’s also wise—wise about the ways we sometimes fail to love and care for each other but choose to keep trying. Like the best stories (and in spite of the book’s title) I can't wait to read it again.”
—Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney, New York Times bestselling author of Good Company and The Nest

“A champagne bottle smashes in Paris and Grant Ginder's newest and most poignant work begins. Let’s Not Do That Again combines the wit and hilarity of Ginder's previous work with deep examination of the confounding world we're finding our way through today. Pour a glass of your favorite bubbly and get ready to savor this important, brilliant novel.”
—Amanda Eyre Ward, New York Times bestselling author of The Jetsetters and The Lifeguards

Let’s Not Do That Again, is sophisticated, viciously funny (and sometimes just plain vicious—in a nice way!), and, perhaps improbably, at its core, sweetly bighearted. I couldn’t have enjoyed myself more.”
—Benjamin Dreyer, New York Times bestselling author of Dreyer's English