A Terrible Kindness

Pub Date 20 Jan 2022 | Archive Date 30 Jan 2022

Talking about this book? Use #ATerribleKindness #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

When we go through something impossible, someone, or something, will help us, if we let them . . .

'I LOVE IT! Utterly and completely brilliant.' JOANNA CANNON

It is October 1966 and William Lavery is having the night of his life at his first black-tie do. But, as the evening unfolds, news hits of a landslide at a coal mine. It has buried a school: Aberfan.

William decides he must act, so he stands and volunteers to attend. It will be his first job as an embalmer, and it will be one he never forgets.

His work that night will force him to think about the little boy he was, and the losses he has worked so hard to forget. But compassion can have surprising consequences, because - as William discovers - giving so much to others can sometimes help us heal ourselves.

'It's a long time since I've read a debut novel that moved me so much.' RACHEL JOYCE

'Extraordinary.' SOPHIE HANNAH

'A brave and tender novel.' JOANNA GLEN

What readers are saying:
'One stunning read to remember.'

'Beautifully written . . . I would recommend this book to all.'

'Utterly heartbreaking and uplifting . . . I loved it.'

'Tremendous.'

'I LOVE IT! Utterly and completely brilliant.' JOANNA CANNON

It is October 1966 and William Lavery is...

Advance Praise

'I LOVE IT! A Terrible Kindness is utterly and completely brilliant.' – Joanna Cannon

'I think it's really extraordinary. Brilliant writing, completely fresh and unique, moving, elegant, memorable.' – Sophie Hannah

'I was drawn into William's world right from the first page. It's a long time since I've read a debut novel that moved me so much.' – Rachel Joyce

'This is a brave and tender novel, which truthfully exposes life's shadows whilst dwelling in the beauty of its light.' – Joanna Glen

PRICE £14.99 (GBP)