Vladimir

A Novel

Narrated by Rebecca Lowman

Pub Date 01 Feb 2022 | Archive Date 03 Mar 2022

Talking about this book? Use #Vladimir #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

An NPR, Kirkus Reviews, Newsweek, New York Public Library, and Washington Post Best Book of the Year * “Delightful…cathartic, devious, and terrifically entertaining.” —The New York Times * “Timely, whip-smart, and darkly funny.” —People (Book of the Week) * “A deliciously dark fable of sex and power.” —Esquire

A provocative, razor-sharp, and timely debut novel about a beloved English professor facing a slew of accusations against her professor husband by former students—a situation that becomes more complicated when she herself develops an obsession of her own...

“When I was a child, I loved old men, and I could tell that they also loved me.”

And so we are introduced to our deliciously incisive narrator: a popular English professor whose charismatic husband at the same small liberal arts college is under investigation for his inappropriate relationships with his former students. The couple have long had a mutual understanding when it comes to their extra-marital pursuits, but with these new allegations, life has become far less comfortable for them both. And when our narrator becomes increasingly infatuated with Vladimir, a celebrated, married young novelist who’s just arrived on campus, their tinder box world comes dangerously close to exploding.

With this bold, edgy, and uncommonly assured debut, author Julia May Jonas takes us into charged territory, where the boundaries of morality bump up against the impulses of the human heart. Propulsive, darkly funny, and wildly entertaining, Vladimir perfectly captures the personal and political minefield of our current moment, exposing the nuances and the grey area between power and desire.

EDITION Other Format, Unabridged
DURATION 9 Hours, 40 Minutes, 16 Seconds

NetGalley Shelf App (AUDIO)