Future History 2050

Pub Date 01 Mar 2022 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #FutureHistory2050 #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

This future history of the next thirty years, imagined by bestselling author Thomas Harding, is a compelling and startling call to action.

In 2020, a researcher is shocked to find a set of notebooks detailing the history of the next thirty years. Is this a hoax? Or could it be real?

The notebooks, written in the year 2050, contain interview transcripts between teenage Billy and Gran Nancy. We learn about the great climate SHOCK, when global temperatures rise much faster than anticipated, resulting in catastrophic consequences for humanity. We learn about a shift away from democracy, toward unelected “ethnarchs” — heads of corporations who use their access to our personal data to competently run the world. We learn about the giant city towers where most people live, work and play inside — where it's safe from natural disasters and viral outbreaks.

And between these interviews, we learn more about Billy, whose interest in the history that has been erased from the official record is causing trouble in 2050. Is it too late to change the past to save the future?

Key Text Feature

glossary

In 2020, a researcher is shocked to find a set of notebooks...

Advance Praise

This book was originally published in German by Jacoby & Stuart, where it was nominated for the German Youth Literature Prize.

EDITION Hardcover