by James Barretto
Send NetGalley books directly to your Kindle or Kindle app
To read on a Kindle or Kindle app, please add email@example.com as an approved email address to receive files in your Amazon account. Click here for step-by-step instructions.
Also find your Kindle email address within your Amazon account, and enter it here.
Pub Date 06 Sep 2022 | Archive Date Not set
Boston star-prosecutor-turned-corporate-attorney Jack Marino has risen fast and far from his upbringing in the Mystic housing projects. But after he’s savagely beaten in retaliation for his work as head of the District Attorney’s Urban Gang Unit, he’s fired because his powerful boss is running for governor and fears the beating may have shaken Jack’s formidable confidence.
Jack lands a plush suite at his father-in-law’s mega law firm, making big money practicing corporate law. Although he seemingly has everything—money, privilege, and an heiress for a wife, what he doesn’t have is his own self-respect.
When he is given a chance to get back into criminal law—this time as defense counsel in a capital murder case—he finally feels alive again. But to save his client from death row, he’ll face a criminal network far more organized and powerful than he could have imagined.
The case will take Jack back to the projects he thought he’d escaped. He’ll risk personal and professional ruin, and ultimately his very life, to fight the corrupt forces determined to see his client go down—forces that may have already given absolute immunity to the real killer.
Perfect for fans of John Grisham and Scott Turow
“James Barretto breaks into the publishing world with an outstanding debut. Fast-paced, carefully crafted, and terrifically well-written, Mystic Wind satisfies on every level. You won’t want to put this winner down!” —John Lescroart, New York Times best-selling author
“Mystic Wind is a classic legal thriller by an exciting new talent, delivering surprises to the very last page. It grabs us and pulls us into 1980s Boston, a world of violent streets and corrupt politicians, and attorney Jack Marino is the guy we want on our side.” —Joseph Finder, New York Times best-selling author
"Mystic Wind is a hurricane force legal thriller that blows away the best of John Grisham and Scott Turow. James Barretto's sizzling tale of a murder case that's much more than it seems doubles as a beautifully honed character study of a hero forced to confront his own past. Reminiscent of both Michael Connelly's Mickey Haller novels and Barry Reed's classic The Verdict, this is an absolute must read." —Jon Land, USA Today best-selling author
“This one pushes the envelope to the edge and beyond with a protagonist racing time and his own shadowy instincts. Lush, lusty, fascinating, and smart. Enjoy this walk on the perilous side." —Steve Berry, New York Times best-selling author
Hardcover PR & Marketing Highlights:
• Mailing of physical & digital ARCs to major trade publications, notable bookstores, book reviewers, social media influencers and digital media
• Submit for BookBub promotion
• Pitch title at Distributor Sales Conference
• Goodreads giveaway of 100 digital copies, 2 months prior to publication
• Advertising in trade publications
• Featured new release in Oceanview monthly newsletter
• E-blast to Oceanview’s email list of mystery, thriller & suspense fans, booksellers, and librarians
• Launch month feature on Oceanview’s social media and website home page
• Submission for award consideration
• Amazon A+ description/feature
• Ongoing co-op advertising with Amazon, Ingram, Baker and Taylor via distributor
• Ongoing submission for special promotions with major retailers
Available on NetGalley
Average rating from 38 members
Readers who liked this book also liked:
C. Hope Clark
Craig Morgan and Jim DeFelice