Taste

A Book of Small Bites

Pub Date 09 Aug 2022 | Archive Date 16 Nov 2022

Talking about this book? Use #Taste #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Taste is a lyric meditation on one of our five senses, which we often take for granted. Structured as a series of “small bites,” the book considers the ways that we ingest the world, how we come to know ourselves and others through the daily act of tasting.

Through flavorful explorations of the sweet, the sour, the salty, the bitter, and umami, Jehanne Dubrow reflects on the nature of taste. In a series of short, interdisciplinary essays, she blends personal experience with analysis of poetry, fiction, music, and the visual arts, as well as religious and philosophical texts. Dubrow considers the science of taste and how taste transforms from a physical sensation into a metaphor for discernment.

Taste is organized not so much as a linear dinner served in courses but as a meal consisting of meze, small plates of intensely flavored discourse.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Jehanne Dubrow is a professor of creative writing at the University of North Texas. She is the author of nine poetry collections, including most recently Wild Kingdom (2021), and a book of creative nonfiction, throughsmoke: an essay in notes (2019). Her poems and essays have appeared in Poetry, New England Review, Colorado Review, and the Southern Review.

Advance Praise

"If 'tasting begins with sight' (and what a synaesthetic provocation that is!) Dubrow goes on to show this strangely elusive sense manifesting in every form of perception—mind, body, and soul. She writes: 'We acquire tastes just as we acquire knowledge: with time and patience, a belief that the pursuit can lead to something delicious'—and something delicious describes this trove of riches perfectly."

--Lia Purpura, author of All the Fierce Tethers