Bliss Montage

Stories

Pub Date 13 Sep 2022 | Archive Date 13 Nov 2022

A National Indie Bestseller
A Best Book of the Year at The New York Times, The New Yorker, Vogue, and Kirkus Reviews
A New York Times Book Review Editor’s Choice

“Dazzling.” —Maureen Corrigan, NPR’s Fresh Air
“Uncanny and haunting . . . Genius.” —Michele Filgate, The Washington Post

What happens when fantasy tears the screen of the everyday to wake us up? Could that waking be our end?

In Bliss Montage, Ling Ma brings us eight wildly different tales of people making their way through the madness and reality of our collective delusions: love and loneliness, connection and possession, friendship, motherhood, the idea of home. A woman lives in a house with all her ex-boyfriends. A toxic friendship grows up around a drug that makes you invisible. An ancient ritual might heal you of anything—if you bury yourself alive.

These and other scenarios investigate the ways that the outlandish and the ordinary are shockingly, deceptively, heartbreakingly alike.

A National Indie Bestseller
A New York Times Book Review Editor’s Choice

“Dazzling.” —Maureen Corrigan, NPR’s ...

PAGES 240