The Alien Perspective

A New View of Humanity and the Cosmos

Pub Date 15 Nov 2022 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #TheAlienPerspective #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A journey through the evolving cosmos, considering how human survival will depend on otherworldly perspectives.

In David Whitehouse’s most ambitious book to date he explores how human evolution has been intertwined with the workings of the cosmos from the very beginning, and what the far-distant future may hold, both for the universe and for ourselves.

Given enough time, Whitehouse contends, we must communicate with intelligent aliens whose divergent perspective will transform our understanding of the universe. First contact may even come sooner than we think. We have already transmitted signals towards promising exoplanets. If, say, Gliese 581d harbors life, the return signal could reach us in 2051.

Drawing the thread of human consciousness from the cave to the cosmos, the acclaimed author of Apollo 11: The Inside Story charts our future journey to the end of space and time, and considers whether something of humanity could remain at the end of it all.

Send to Kindle (PDF)