I Am Not a Tin Can!

Pub Date 06 Sep 2022 | Archive Date 06 Sep 2022

In this one-of-a-kind story, a robot and a boy consider who --- or what --- makes a good friend. When a robot asks a boy, “Can we be friends?” the boy replies, “I don't think so. You're a tin can.” The robot disagrees. And to prove that it is not a tin can, the robot shows the boy all that it can do: Play music! Do math! Bake a cake! But the robot has no brain, the boy insists, and no heart. So surely it is a tin can. Is there anything the robot can do to change the boy's mind? What does it take to prove you're more than what you appear to be? And, more important, what does it take to be a good friend? Whimsical and a little offbeat, Barroux's endearing picture book offers a delightful twist on the familiar theme of making a new friend. The spare story, told entirely in dialogue, and simple drawings convey poignant lessons: the boy comes to understand the importance of empathy, the robot discovers what happiness feels like and both characters learn a little bit about the meaning of friendship. With its comforting blend of humor and heart, this sweet book strongly supports social-emotional learning. It also supports the character education topics of empathy, kindness and caring.

EDITION Hardcover