by Michael Solis
Send NetGalley books directly to your Kindle or Kindle app
To read on a Kindle or Kindle app, please add email@example.com as an approved email address to receive files in your Amazon account. Click here for step-by-step instructions.
Also find your Kindle email address within your Amazon account, and enter it here.
Pub Date 12 Sep 2023 | Archive Date 31 Aug 2023
The near future is progressively free from discrimination based on race, class, and sexual orientation. But in a world populated by the gifted, fifteen-year-old Alejandro Aragon (Alé) is part of the only remaining minority—he’s a Deficient. Powerless. The one that accelerated genetics left behind.
Alé knows that he’ll need a miracle to graduate and pursue his dream of a legal career in the capital. His only ally is his best friend Yalamba, an outspoken and exceptionally gifted artist renowned for her unique ability to draw things into existence. But when she’s kidnapped in a hate crime against her ability, it appears that Alé has every motive and no believable alibi.
To prove his innocence and track down the real culprit, Alé teams up with the other outcasts in school, who each have their own reasons for getting involved. But the deeper they dig, the more they fear Yalamba’s kidnapping is linked to a string of unsolved murders against the exceptionally gifted.
With time running out, Alé must discover who he really is if he and his new friends plan to track down the culprit, clear his name, and rescue Yalamba—all before she herself is drawn out of existence.
A Note From the Publisher
“A clever premise skillfully executed. Solis creates a vivid, fantastical world populated by fully-drawn, relatable characters, and a compelling storyline that never flags. Deficient is a thoroughly entertaining read and an impressive first novel.” —Ross LaManna, Screenwriter (Rush Hour)
“Deficient is a unique spin on superhero stories. I can see where Solis drew his inspiration from, having grown up in the shadow of the super-human world of professional wrestling. His book is about finding yourself, even when you feel powerless, and fighting for what you believe in. It’s a message everyone can relate to. The book is a must read.” —Kenny Casanova, author of Don't Call Me Chico and former professional wrestler
• Book submitted to Publishers Weekly book announcement issue
• Book submitted for any ongoing calls for information in trade publications
• Indie Next List Nomination Coverage
• Library Reads Nomination Coverage
• Prepublication Buzz Campaign
• Extensive Bookseller, Librarian, and Book Influencer ARC Newsletters
• Targeted Consumer Email Marketing Campaign
• Extensive Social Media Promotion
• Reading Group Guides Available at bhcpress.com
• Outreach to bloggers/reviewers to solicit for reviews
• Banner/Slider Promotions of book at publisher website
• Newsletter promotions and features
Key Selling Points:
• Solis's debut novel is an exciting action and adventure novel featuring a world filled with people with super-human abilities
• Fans of the DC superhero novels by Leigh Bardugo, Sarah J. Maas, and Marie Lu will find a new favorite author in Michael Solis
• The book features a cast of diverse characters and features strong elements of friendship as well as som LGBTQ+ elements.