Face of Greed
by James L'Etoile
You must sign in to see if this title is available for request. Sign In or Register Now
Send NetGalley books directly to your Kindle or Kindle app
To read on a Kindle or Kindle app, please add firstname.lastname@example.org as an approved email address to receive files in your Amazon account. Click here for step-by-step instructions.
Also find your Kindle email address within your Amazon account, and enter it here.
Pub Date 07 Nov 2023 | Archive Date Not set
When a prominent Sacramento businessman is killed and his wife injured in a brutal home invasion, Detective Emily Hunter and her partner, Javier Medina, are called to investigate. At first glance, it seems like a crime of opportunity gone horribly wrong, but Emily soon finds there might be more to both the crime and the dead man.
The high-stakes investigation also comes at a time when Emily is caring for her mother, who has early-onset Alzheimer’s, and Emily struggles to balance her job with her personal life. The city’s political elite seem to want the case solved quickly, but darker forces want it buried.
Could there have been a motive behind the attack, making it more than a random home invasion? Emily uncovers clues that cause her to reconsider her understanding of the crime. A deadly game of greed and deception pulls Emily deeper into the shadowy world of gang violence and retribution. She has to walk the razor’s edge to identify the killer—without becoming the next victim.
Perfect for fans of Michael Connelly and Karin Slaughter
“James L’Etoile’s Face of Greed is fantastic, one of the most engaging police procedurals I’ve ever read; a smart, twisty, multilayered story that features a detective who is utterly fearless in her quest for truth. Don’t even try to guess how this story ends—just put yourself in L’Etoile’s eminently capable hands and enjoy the ride!” —Karen Dionne, USA Today best-selling author
* “Smart-mouthed, tough, pull-no-punches Emily will do whatever it takes to solve the case, and she and Javier keep investigating until they finally uncover the tragic, shocking truth. The suspenseful, twist-a-minute, fast-moving plot . . . make[s] this an outstanding must-read.” —Booklist (Starred Review)
“In Face of Greed, James L'Etoile gives us a Sacramento rarely seen in crime fiction. In a city without an identity, L'Etoile's Sacramento bursts with good cops and crooked cops, skinheads and tweakers, bad men and femme fatales. This helluva page turner has hella heart!” —Rachel Howzell Hall, best-selling author of We Lie Here
“The award-winning James L'Etoile launches a compelling new series with a baffling home invasion mystery that packs an impressive one-two final punch! L'Etoile knows crime—and this gritty whodunnit bears testimony. I can't wait for book two!” —Wendy Corsi Staub, New York Times best-selling author
“Detective Emily Hunter is a sharp, compelling heroine with brains, heart, and true grit—everything I've been looking for in a series character. I loved getting to know Emily—and I adored this tight, twisty, and very suspenseful book. I could not put it down!” —Alison Gaylin, USA Today best-selling author
“James L’Etoile is such a talented and terrific storyteller! His real-life experience in the criminal justice system gives his compelling, high-stakes thrillers an authenticity that only a savvy insider can provide. You'll be turning the pages as fast as you can!”—Hank Phillippi Ryan, USA Today best-selling author
“An incredible story that grabs you by the throat and tosses you across the room. L’Etoile is a gem.” —J.T. Ellison, USA Today best-selling author
“Face Of Greed is yet another fantastic offering from James L'Etoile, thoroughly enjoyable, a true winner—Bravo!” —Baron Birtcher, Los Angeles Times best-selling author
“L’Etoile’s long career in California criminal justice lends veracity to this page-turner—the courtrooms and precincts feel uncommonly lived-in. Admirers of strong female protagonists will be eager to see more from Hunter down the line.” —Publishers Weekly
“The plot thread characters are raw and coarse. L’Etoile weaves those plot threads into a satisfying police procedural tapestry.” —Bookreporter
“Face of Greed launches a new series that shows great potential. A strong character, Emily has an innate intelligence that drives the story. Emily and Javier make a formidable team who will steer future plots.” —South Florida Sun Sentinel
Hardcover PR & Marketing Highlights:
• Mailing of physical & digital ARCs to major trade publications, notable bookstores, book reviewers, social media influencers and digital media
• Submit for BookBub promotion
• Pitch title at Distributor Sales Conference
• Goodreads giveaway of 100 digital copies, 2 months prior to publication
• Advertising in trade publications
• Featured new release in Oceanview monthly newsletter
• E-blast to Oceanview’s email list of mystery, thriller & suspense fans, booksellers, and librarians
• Launch month feature on Oceanview’s social media and website home page
• Submission for award consideration
• Amazon A+ description/feature
• Ongoing co-op advertising with Amazon, Ingram, Baker and Taylor via distributor
• Ongoing submission for special promotions with major retailers