Trivial Pursuits

Why Your Real Life Is More Than Media, Money, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Pub Date 01 Apr 2014 | Archive Date 28 May 2014

Your life is not a reality show. It's actual reality. But too many of us spend our lives discontented with reality and focused on trivial pursuits--media, money, perpetual youth, and a culture of constant entertainment. We try to avoid the realities of pain, depression, loneliness, and mortality by filling our lives with diversions. Even worse, our churches that might use the reality of pain and suffering to point us to the cross instead dress the gospel up in the world's clothing so that it will seem more "relevant."

With pinpoint accuracy, LA club DJ-turned-pastor Ian DiOrio diagnoses the problem and gives us the cure. Exposing our most common empty attempts to find meaning apart from God, DiOrio points us back to God and calls us to find meaning in our identities as followers of Christ, as shapers of culture, and as people who participate in communities of worship.

Advance Praise

"Ian has written a prophetical call to probe a deeper faith. It is an invitation to the search for substance."--John Ortberg, senior pastor of Menlo Park Presbyterian Church; author of Who Is This Man?

"My friend Ian DiOrio hits the nail on the head. Significance in life isn't found through success, salary, status, or sex. It's the result of serving God by serving others."--Rick Warren, senior pastor of Saddleback Church; author of The Purpose Driven Life

"This book promises to liberate many from the entanglements of our culture. It is a wonderful offer to join Jesus in finding our lives by giving them away and to laugh when folks try to convince us that happiness has a price tag."--Shane Claiborne, activist and author

Send To Kindle (PDF)