Cover Image: Treat Yourself!

Treat Yourself!

What a fun book! Jessica Siskin, who admits that she isn’t a cook, has taken Crispy Rice Treats to another level in her book, Treat Yourself!: How to Make 93 Ridiculously Fun No-Bake Crispy Rice Treats. Not only has she perfected the recipe (which isn’t huge, since most of us make them successfully from time to time, but her recipes turn out perfectly and there is a chart so that they can be made different quantities for projects), but she has used her amazing imagination to create treats in shapes and colors that most of us haven’t even imagined. Who knew that crispy rice treats could be made into amazing works of art!

There are instructions for treats shaped like bagels and lox, a wizard hat, a mouthwatering cheeseburger, apples that are red on the outside and white when they’re sliced just like real apples. There is a darling gingerbread man for Christmas, and a spider web for Halloween. The watermelon is very clever, and can be sliced just like a real one. There is a bicycle, a bikini, a zebra, and a slice of pizza. Siskin has included sushi, a fishbowl, a Christmas Tree and a Statue of Liberty. There are dozens of other ideas, and her ideas will surely motivate you to think of a few projects of your own.

Each Crispy Rice “Project” is photographed, and there are easy-to-follow instructions for amounts, coloring, shaping, and decorating different shapes suitable for dozens of occasions. The Easter Egg was really quite simple, and some, like the breast cancer ribbon, are no-brainers. There are a few that are a little more involved, but definitely doable.

It’s nice to see that even a non-cook can write a good cookbook that will inspire everyone; Siskin’s creative no-bake treats will set off our own creative ideas allowing us to create beautiful, edible treats for every occasion. These crispy rice projects make great centerpieces for holiday parties, and are always a good idea to take to a pot-luck or gathering. This fun book is definitely recommended for everyone who likes to have a little fun in the kitchen, even kids.

Special thanks to NetGalley for supplying a review copy of this book.
Very cool and very easy!  LOVED IT and I hope the author comes out with more!
I need to get myself some rice krispies, food dye and marshmallows! This book shows you how you can make some awesome-shaped rice-krispie-treats. Including a lobster. A rice krispie lobster. And a watermelon! I need to make everything they showed in this book.
Whimsical and delicious! This is a wonderfully photographed instruction book on creating fun, unusual and memorable treats using the basic recipe for Rice Crispy Treats. I imagine that it would be great fun to do this with children, or even a group of children for a special treat. There are some great ideas for shaping the treats, and often candy is used to visually enhance the end result.

Not crazy about the recipe calling for artificial food coloring and mini marshmallows instead of marshmallow 'fluff.'
Interesting concept. The book explores into a whole new world of non-bake baking I've never known before. Informative, detailed text with easy to follow instructions.
This is a clear and lively recipe book with a chatty and friendly introduction. There are lots of photographs and the information is clear and easy to read. Such a creative and exciting book! Cannot wait to try out some of these recipes.
Treat Yourself! by Jessica Siskin is an adorable book of design options using Rice Krispie treats. Some are easy, and some are very elaborate and impressive. Each recipe and design idea includes color pictures of each step of the process. Very easy to follow instructions. This book would be really cute for the crafty parent looking to impress their kids class!
One vegan treat I've wanted to make for a while are vegan rocky road bars, as vegan marshmallows and chocolate are easy to find so they should be easy to make. The cover drew me in; it's a fantastic book with so many creative ideas of what to make with crispy rice - so many of which I never even thought of! I love the idea of making a newspaper, pizza and book out of puffed rice, chocolate, icing and marshmallows! I will definitely be making some of these, they'd be a great birthday treat idea to make instead of cake! My only negative about the book is that at least half of the photographs are quite boring and they could be really creative, eye catching and fun but they aren't sadly which I think is a big letdown for a food focused book.
Great book to have as a resource or give as a gift!