Cover Image: One Of Us Is Lying

One Of Us Is Lying

An interesting whodunnit with a good few twists and turns. Lots of unlikeable characters!
I loved this – clever, often tense, addictive to the ninth degree and with as many twists as a plethora of pretzels – except the twists don’t always come within the mystery but just as often within the characters.

So this is The Breakfast Club if The Breakfast Club was a murder mystery. That is the best way I can describe it (and for those of an age to appreciate the true genius of The Breakfast Club the highest compliment I can give it)

5 students enter detention only 4 come out alive. But what happened to them? Murder? Accident? And who were they? Victim? Undeserved of their fate? And most of all, who hated them enough to want to see them dead? Well all of those questions will eventually get answered but before that we have a genius of a novel, brilliantly insightful storytelling that starts with a group of teenagers who have easy labels applied to them (the Jock, the popular girl etc etc) but over the course of the novel grow layers and flesh and bone and become actual people. The people they are…

One of them may be a killer. All of them are not as shallow or as easily read as would first appear. As they enter the spotlight, not only within school gossip but also under intense scrutiny as the police investigation unfolds, the media looks on and nothing will ever be the same again. We hear from all of them and start to understand what has led to this moment, Karen M.McManus slowly but surely takes us towards the ultimate resolution, peeling back the hidden underneath of their friendships and loyalties, pushing them together and pulling them apart.

It is absolutely riveting – seriously I was hooked, I really engaged with all of them and their plight – so when I say this is utterly character driven I mean that exactly. As relationships are tested, not just within the school hierarchy but within each of their families, all of them have some serious growing up to do and you watch them do just that.

Not all of the reveal moments are unexpected but they are all emotionally resonant, this is not just a Young Adult mystery but an unravelling of substance and what makes us tick as people. Plus to be fair the mystery element is HIGHLY intriguing – there is also a Christiesque touch to things that really adds to the sheer joy of reading it.

That’s it – The Breakfast Club if Agatha Christie had written it. One Of Us Is Lying in a nutshell for me.

Highly Recommended. Beautifully written and a genuine barnstormer of a page turner.
Originally I wasn’t going to read One of Us is Lying until much closer to its publication date (June 1st) but when I read the blurb – think The Breakfast Club with murder thrown in – and a few lines and I was immediately intrigued. I love The Breakfast Club and McManus’ take on it sounded so interesting that I couldn’t resist. I wanted to know (read: had to know) how the story unfolded and I wasn’t willing to wait until later in the year. And let me tell you, it was worth it. This book is fantastic – a masterful mix of young adult, contemporary, murder mystery, and romance, all tied up into a thrilling debut.

The blurb already tells us what happens when five students enter detention but only four leave:

Bronwyn, the brain, is Yale-bound and never breaks a rule.
Addy, the beauty, is the picture-perfect homecoming princess.
Nate, the criminal, is already on probation for dealing.
Cooper, the athlete, is the all-star baseball pitcher.
And Simon, the outcast, is the creator of Bayview High’s notorious gossip app.

Only, Simon never makes it out of that classroom. Before the end of detention Simon's dead. And according to investigators, his death wasn’t an accident. On Monday, he died. But on Tuesday, he’d planned to post juicy reveals about all four of his high-profile classmates, which makes all four of them suspects in his murder. Or are they the perfect patsies for a killer who’s still on the loose?

But the mystery surrounding Simon’s death is relentless and consumed my mind when I wasn’t reading the book. For some three hundred pages we are taken on a wild ride, constantly wondering who is telling the truth, who is lying, and how the story will unfold, especially as each of the protagonists had something to hide. I had so many theories about Simon’s death but I didn’t see the truth coming at all, which is probably the highest praise I can give to a murder mystery.

It probably goes without saying but I loved the characters. Although the blurb could make it seem like they were one dimensional stereotypes, they were anything but. McManus has crafted four multi-dimensional and well-rounded characters and I can honestly say that I loved every single one of them by the end of the book (finding out more about Simon was fascinating as well although I can’t say I loved him at any point in the novel). All show great character development and growth, especially Addy and Cooper who, I feel, had the biggest fall out from their secrets being revealed. They are all badass in their own way and I loved that the book was told from each of their perspectives; I really enjoy spilt narratives and it worked exceptionally well here.

Obviously I haven’t said too much in this review, as the gradual reveals and build up to finding out what actually happened to Simon are what makes the novel so interesting, but I highly recommend people to seek this out when it’s published – I have a feeling you won’t be disappointed if you do.
The synopsis is what drew me to One of us is lying and my god it didn't disappointment. Have you ever seen the film breakfast club?!
 Yeah, well One of us is lying reminded me of the breakfast club but with a major twist. Like a major twist!
 The storyline is narrated by the four remaining students. Which I felt added to the story. One of us is lying is filled with twists, and a whole load of mystery.
A book I definitely recommend.
This book is so good, I couldn't put it down and I read it in one sitting!  It's a tense thriller with a lot of twists.  The question throughout the book 'who killed Simon' keeps you guessing right until the end.  I would throughly recommend anyone to read this it's brilliant and I can't believe it's a debut, I can't wait to read more from this author!
I loved this book. It’s really hard to review without giving anything away so I suggest you just read it.

Really gripping and I loved the relationships between them all. I did guess who did it quite early on but I still couldn’t believe it.

Brilliant book.
This was such a good read - I loved it. I went into it thinking it was going to be a weird Breakfast Club ripoff, but apart from the underlying character archetypes in terms of who ends up in detention, One of Us is Lying starts off with a bang and just keeps going - I couldn't put it down. The four main characters were really well written, which was great, but even better, all the minor characters we come into contact with had depth and nuance. I loved that we had alternating view points from the four leads, as each time we switched characters we learn a little more about them, their secrets and why they may have killed to protect them. I loved the character development for Addy - she was the character I was least invested in to begin with, but by the time I put the book down, she was my favourite. Character development was fantastic across the board though, with each of the leads growing through the course of the novel. The plot was fantastic - it was well thought out and definitely kept me guessing. The climax was complex, and it tied together the entire novel. Overall, it was a great read.
Omg omg omg.

I got this book from Netgalley ahead of release date mostly because I like a murder mystery and I was intrigued. This book was legitimately amazing.

It had interesting characters that developed so much throughout the book and I have to say I loved them all.

The book had a lot of twists and turns, some that I guessed (Cooper) and others I didn't expect at all!

Overall I loved it, this book kept me enraptured the whole time I was reading it, I couldn't put it down!! Definitely a must read.
Thanks to Netgalley, I had the privilege of receiving an advanced copy of this book on my Kindle.

WOW!! Amazing book from start to finish. I finished this book within 24 hours. It was absolutely fantastic.

I loved the breakfast club and this is exactly the same but better! So many plot twists throughout the whole book and I absolutely love how we are questioning everything that happens. I loved how you're getting the thoughts of all the characters on different perspectives.

I got so intrigued with all of the characters and felt like they had become 'friends'  (so to speak) and you really don't want them to be the murderers. I would 100% recommend this to all of my friends and will definitely when the book comes out.