Cover Image: Story of L

Story of L

I wanted to love this a premise was right up my street. I just found it was a bit too much and it just got too much as it went on. I really liked the first few chapters and really got into the story but the more that the story progressed, the less I liked it and could not finish it.
This was a very good book in the BDSM genre. It shows the growth of a dom/sub relationship without the stereotypes which many people associate with kink. L, the main character is not a weak person. She is a strong woman that has discovered her sexually and without shame. Plenty to like in this book.
So I have read the BDSM genre many times, it is one of my favorite genres.  I am new though to the F/F genre.  This was an interesting book to start my journey into this sub genre.  The story was very true to life in the in it's telling.  The story was well written and characters come together nicely making the story enjoyable and an easy read.  I do  plan to read more stories by this author in the future.
Thanks to NetGalley for a copy of this book In exchange for an honest review.

Like other readers I requested this book because I was curious to see how the author handled the BDSM angle from a female/female perspective. Whilst the erotic handle of the book was handled well by the author (although some terminology I found arcane or altogether superfluous) the ‘story’ was a little one-dimensional. Characterisation was adequate but not written with any real depth and I did not find myself engaged with the narrative for any sustained period of time.

The author does however deserve credit for her invention. For curiosity sake this was worth the read.
Pretty hot erotica mixed into a kind of meh story. Definitely contained a satisfying sexy story, but I didn't really connect with or care about the characters. So whether I would recommend it would depend on which aspect you're looking for.
This reworked title I had a lot of issues with.  At times I was really enjoying the title and then at others I wasn't.  I finally just had to call it quits around 55% as I was just having so many issues.  The story could be amazing but I think it just needs more editing and reworking.
Story of L, wow, was an great read. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. The cover leads much to the imagination encourage people to read it and explore the story within its pages. Certainly was pleased with the read. Great book and is entertaining especially for its genre.
Where to begin? I requested this book from NetGalley because BDSM and erotica books can be really well written and have a nice story going. So I remember requesting this book based off the cover alone (I'm usually not that judgey lol).

The story is about Liv, nicknamed L by the woman who becomes her "dom" Cassandra halfway through the bok. Their dynamic is very strange, and not typical "D/s" behavior in my opinion. There's a few other side characters, all in the scene of course, who don't have too much bearing on the overall story. There's a "bad guy" type naturally, but it was so weak it honestly wasn't needed. Something called The Void is mentioned a lot in the beginning on the story and it is a rather stupid name to call that hunger inside all of us who craves sex. And there were less than a handful of sex scenes in this story, which was disappointing for an erotica genre book. Plus no safe word agreement mentioned? Yikes!

I did not care for this book. I had a very hard time getting through it all. The story nor the characters captured me in the slightest. Thank you NetGalley for this read.
I enjoy a good BDSM book but this is the first time I read from f/f perspective.  It wasn't bad and of course, the lifestyle was presented in a positive way.  Sometimes the story dragged but overall, I thoroughly enjoyed.
Very descriptive book but I loved it from beginning to end. I will definitely be reading more from this author in the future. Highly recommend.
Story of L is not a typical romance, but rather a unique, intriguing and engaging love story that runs deep and tells the tale of a woman on a search for something. Without even realizing it, that elusive thing is satiated by a woman that is revered and respected in the lesbian BDSM community as very nearly an icon. She offers Liv the chance to become something more and they embark on a journey of discovery and deliverance.

This is such a hard book to review because its nuance and depth are difficult to put into words, but it is a fulfilling and engaging read that gripped me throughout.
3.5 stars - Story of L by Debra Hyde was a very well-written BDSM full-length novel between Dominatrix Cassandra and her sub, Liv (L). I think the dom/sub dynamic between the two main characters was extremely well depicted in a way that was believable and healthy. Cassandra always asked for consent and gave Liv the space to think before taking major decisions. I really enjoyed learning more about the lesbian BDSM scene through Liv’s experiences at the BDSM club. The author describes scenes vividly; I never read anything like that and it was quite fascinating. However, some kink made me a bit uncomfortable (i.e. humiliation kink?), but that’s on me.

The part that has me dubious though is their profession of love for each other. There isn’t a moment where the two women talk about themselves, their lives, let alone their feelings for each other. And whenever they talk to each other, it’s about their arrangement or the lesbian leather scene. I can believe there’s an infatuation, but love?

Nevertheless, this is a really good story to just immerse yourself in and learn more about different facets of the scene. This isn’t just straight up smut for the sake of it, so don’t go in thinking that’s all there is. It’s a book about self-discovery, connection and trust.

Thank you to Riverdale Avenue Books and NetGalley for providing me with a free copy of this title in exchange for an honest review.
Honestly, I had no idea what to expect with this book. Having read the synopsis, I was very intrigued. I definitely enjoyed this book and I believe the sexual scenes were written very tastefully.
Thanks to the well-crafted publisher’s blurb and several well-written reviews on NetGalley, I went into this book eyes wide open about the subject matter and about the potential graphic nature of the content.  Which was important because I could see how some consumers of the Fifty Shades of Grey brand (or even the Crossfire brand) might not be able to dive in headfirst into this book - let alone finish it.  There are no brand names or trendy music sprinkled throughout.  The sense of place remains vague.  And there is definitely no renunciation of the lifestyle or other return to the mainstream at the end.  Yes, there is profound self-reflection by the characters and a happy ever after ending.  There is true love at the end.  But it all works out in a way that makes sense for the reality that the characters live in.  This all may be uncomfortable for those who don’t live in - or fantasize about - that reality.  But if you’re open to it, this is definitely investing a few hours in reading.
I received an ARC of this book via #NetGalley.

I felt like this was a very solidly written BDSM story. It seemed more realistic than most. I didn’t realize that it was a solidly lesbian story, which I am personally not into, but I did still enjoy the story and thought it was quite well done. I took a star off the rating because I felt it could have used a bit more proof reading. I don’t know if it was intentional or not, but I did get confused in some areas when transgenders were referred in some places as female and others as male with pronouns. I do recommend this story to fans of BDSM erotica.
I received this book free from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
Thanks NetGalley!

erotica, dom/sub/ bdsm, lesbianism;

definitely a sexy read.    i'm a huge fan of erotica that touches down on submission and bdsm.   i'd read others by this author
uhrm .... this story was difficult for me to read...and now difficult for me to review.

I requested this book out of curiosity of how lesbian bdsm world would be betrayed. This book was disjointed and the flow was hard to keep in line. One minute its a descriptive narrative on a persons feelings and the next was about some other scenario entirely,  The word 'yet' seemed to be used repeatedly, which always comes across as a filler word when it's not even necessary.
Liv is being plagued by the "void" that seems to consume her.  It is almost an unquenchable sexual hunger that demands satisfaction beyond all common sense.  Liv turns to her friends to help he slake her needs.  While she does find some type of relief, it just isn't enough.  Well, until She walks in.  Cassandra is a legend in her own right.  She not only tames Liv's void but gives her so much more to hold onto.  Before long, Liv finds herself on the road to being a true submissive at the hands of Cassandra.  This is the very first bdsm f/f book that I ventured into reading.  I really enjoyed it.  Debra Hyde's writing is fantastic and kept me turning the pages.  Her characters literally leaped off the page and never left you wondering.  It was a quicker read, I managed to finish it in one day.  I enjoyed the depth of emotion that she packed into it.  It has plenty of juice and steam in it too.  I was really glad I gave it a shot.  I do recommend it.  I did receive this book from Net Galley for an honest review.
DISCLAIMER: The book is given by NetGalley, the author and the publisher in exchange of an honest review. All the review written is not related to any personal issues or connection.

TRIGGER: This is an erotica book which offers several sexy and steamy scenes or things related to BDSM. Get your vibro ready!

“By contrast, Liv fell somewhere in the nebula of androgyny. No doubt in form and soul, and a lesbian in love and desire but neither butch nor femme in either presentation or whom she found attractive, Yet she did not feel undefined; being queer was being enough, and she liked not having to fall into a strict dichotomy. It was like having your cake and eating it too.”

Defo a very sexy book to read

Full review https://literatureisliving.wordpress.com/2019/04/01/story-of-l-by-debra-hyde/
I've loved reading books by Debra Hyde for awhile and this one did not disappoint. While a quicker story than some, this is well developed and intense.  A lot of emotion and not gratuitous sex scenes but things that really advance and add to the story.