#MeToo

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Sep 2019

#MeToo is a well curated book of essays by Ms. Perkins that are written from all points of view in the #MeToo movement. The essays range from the Hollywood stories to the uncle in (most) everyone's family. The essays are sad, humorous and every emotion in between. What it portrays is a deeply pervasive issue of abuse, misogyny and overall contempt for women and their value. Disturbing, but recommended reading, particularly who doubt such a problem even exists. It's hard to say I enjoyed the book, but it was eye opening.

Thanks to #NetGalley and the publisher for an e-copy of the book in exchange for an unbiased review.
Part of me is wondering how many more times we'll keep having to have this conversation.  None of these stories are pleasant, none of them are pretty, and some are their own kind of offensive that makes you wonder why women (and men to a lesser extent) participate so easily in their own degradation.  Then there are the stories of the ones who refuse to really see themselves as innocent and claim complicit-ness is what was clearly never their fault.  The people who still can't bring themselves to hurt a family member because "they're family" as if that mattered?  For the life of me, I still can't figure out why women haven't gone on full on rampages, like that woman in Turkey who, after a period of being raped, cut off her attacker's head and brought it to the town square.  When the law fails us, as this book illustrates, one wonders how long it will be until someone decides that Turkish woman had the right response.

This book makes me disgusted at the lack of outrage and anger.  The sadness of the stories falls away after awhile until it turns to burning rage. And I guarantee someone reading this is going to say, "Oh, don't get mad, elect new people, change the laws..."  like the simpering fools in these stories who only hoped to perpetuate the attacks on the women writing.  #praying won't get you anywhere btw.

Reading this book made me pissed at the men and women who refuse to get involved, who refuse to get angry.  Give this book to our young women.  It's time for them to be angry.
A collection of essays written by brave women about their experiences of sexual harassment, abuse and assault -  this should be on school curriculum and shared worldwide - everyone NEEDS to read this.
This is my unbiased and honest review of #MeToo, which I received at no cost from #NetGalley.

The essays run the gamut of the emotions and responses that this subject provokes. As a woman who entered the workforce in my 20s at the beginning of the 80s, I understand why so many people coming forward now never said anything. Who, exactly, were we to tell? The people in charge were all members of the club, and that includes the women. If you weren't in the club, you were powerless. Women did not mentor other women, because other women were competition for scarce slots. Unless you've been in that environment, or you've been the only woman in the room at a time when Debbie was doing Dallas, then you might have trouble imagining the challenges.

So read these, and feel free to disagree with them. You are allowed, after all. But do not discount the stories you hear, do not blame the victims, and do not allow this to occur to someone's daughter or son. Speak up and be supportive of those who do, because the reality is that while there are false accusations, they are a small portion of the accusations being made, and that "fake news" hurts people who have been assaulted or battered by an aggressor.

Read these and make intolerance your benchmark for assault or battery by an aggressor.

Read these and make our society intolerant of assault or battery by an aggressor.

Read these and hold the aggressor responsible for their actions.

Until WE do, they will continue being "boys" or "girls" who act without regard for OUR right to say yes AND no.
As a husband and a father of two young daughters I am a huge supporter of #MeToo.

Whilst the essays in this compilation are raw and heart-wrenching, they are not the best written.

My thoughts were not provoked and my understanding was not expanded to the extent that I would have liked.

I really expected more than what was proffered.
A must read especially in today's current political and social environment. I appreciated how raw and honest the essays were and how they even incorporated the male point-of-view on the topic. This could trigger some readers so I would advise a caution before proceeding.
I don’t read many essays but requested that one on Netgalley because of the subject.

I found the essays to vary in quality and I have to admit, as a non-us citizen, I had no inkling of who the writers were.
That being said, just as the #metoo movement, everybody had a right to comment on the subject so i don’t think it to be a bad thing personally.

As a book sold at cost, I think you can appreciate the effort to continue #metoo as we can see only a few weeks later, it appears to have quieted down. This is not a project to take advantage of the movement but to continue it and it is appreciable.

Now, as essays, they are quite different, and some more relevant than others in my opinion and I feel it lacks a bit of an agenda as a whole collection goes.
Many essays you find in this collection have been written and published as reactions to the #metoo campain and you might have already read them.
I think this anthology is a very important one to have an idea behind the #MeToo movement that happened back in November. The stories all shared different point of views, some of them want us to fight while others just want to understand it.
#metoo, #metoo, #metoo.

I’ve been following the discussion on #metoo and honestly, this is one of the more important conversations we need to be having with each other. As I followed the news, I felt myself getting angrier and angrier. At a tender age of 13/14, I met a boy. And in the span on those turbulent 9 months, those were the most difficult times of my life. Back then I didn’t think of the word for it — I didn’t see it for what it was, but I knew that whatever happened wasn’t right. It wasn’t then, and when I think about it now, it’s not okay now either. At that age, I thought it was my fault, that maybe I brought it upon myself for being too forward with a boy a year older than me. That maybe I had led him on into thinking that this was okay.

I was wrong, and I want to tell my 13 year old self that whatever happened to me then, was not and will never be my mistake. #metoo taught me a lot — about sexual harassment, the different types of; the fact that sexual predators can be so sly and cunning and be as young as kids in high school. It’s something that’s been going on for centuries long, one that I hadn’t put my finger on or a name on it — until now.

I think the saddest part of reading this is that most people didn’t have an adult or person they could trust. The people they trusted betrayed them the most, and in search for help, they found themselves stuck in a cycle of hurt and distrust. Sexual harassment and abuse does a lot to a person’s psych. It damages them in some form and sadly… the predator usually doesn’t realise he’s in the wrong. Then there’s the people who are aware and don’t do anything, or the people who minimise the situation by telling you “it’s your own fault”.

I didn’t ask for this. I didn’t. It just happened when a boy gave me the ultimatum of a negative and a negative. I lost, no matter my decision.

I need you to read this. I need you to.

I want you to know that I’m here for you.

We need to change the system and make it safer for our children.

Please, I pray it will never be you too.

(review to go live on 7 mar 2018)
This book is a collection of essays from the current #METoo movement that has taken off globally. Like any book of essay collections, it can be a hit or miss.

I found most of the essays thought provoking. I appreciated that there were essays from the male point of view too. The was only one cringy movement in the book for me was when one essay writer stated that all middle-class women voted for the current president because they suffer from Stockholm Syndrome. I was left completely confused and disturbed by that comment. I prefer my nonfiction topics to be unbiased. I realize this subject is hard to be unbiased towards, but I feel the author tried to include a variety of essays to bring it down that road and she almost succeeded if it wasn't for some completely biased statements like that.

All in all, I still recommend giving this a read. It's short and fast, but will still leave an impact.
I've read a lot of written works that surround the #MeToo movement as well as assault, rape, and harassment. That said, I very much appreciated where this was coming from, and it's intent, as well as the fact that anyone can download it for free (amazing!!) as an ebook, but I felt that some of the essays were lacking. The books purpose was raw, gritty and necessary and  I didn't feel like the essays included were accurately representing the tone of the movement. Some of the men that contributed to this book came off sounding ignorant and supportive only because of the current #MeToo movement.  Regardless, I think it's important for women of all ages to read and educate themselves and those around them by reading works similar to these.
I really appreciate this essay collection for its attempt to provide context and lend support to such an important movement. Because it was prepared with some urgency, it's inevitable that some essays will be stronger than others. A couple of standouts for me were "The Bully Culture of the Weinsteins" by Jesse Berdinka and "Tit for Tat" by Katherine Ramsland. But overall, I enjoyed the diversity and the range of viewpoints.
This is an important book about an important movement. I appreciate Perkins' immediate reaction. Why haven't I rated this higher then? Well, it's a collection of essays - and some of them just weren't good.
I had the chance to take a look the this book today. Amazing and empowering! This is the book the kind of book that you give as a gift to family and friends. The movement started long time ago and the author gives you a good scope of the the beginning of Hollywood stories  to today's women experiences.
The goal of this book was to inform and make this movement more than a hashtag online by sharing real stories and how to get involved in the movement. I was a spectator and still am a spectator of the movement but the essays do have valid points of concern that much change. I recommend this book to every man and woman who wants more on why this movement is so popular and has sparked the Times up movement!
Mini Review: #MeToo by Lori Perkins @LoriPerkinsRAB @riverdaleavenue
January 25, 2018 ~ Betty	~ Edit "Mini Review: #MeToo by Lori Perkins @LoriPerkinsRAB @riverdaleavenue"

#MeToo cover

#MeToo Essays About How and Why This Happened, What It Means and How to Make Sure it Never Happens Again is a collection of twenty-six essays—written mostly by women, but also a few men—with many sharing their personal stories about sexual harassment, assault, or rape.

#MeToo isn’t a fun read, but it’s an important one.  In November 2017, millions of women from around the world shared their stories on social media (or simply #metoo if they were unable to tell their story). If you followed the movement and read even a tiny portion of these heartbreaking stories, you couldn’t help but be both saddened and enraged at how pervasive this problem is. Rape culture and misogyny have enabled this pernicious abuse of women and young girls. All too often, there is no justice for the victim, leaving women unwilling to report sexual crimes, fearing they won’t be believed.

(NB: I’m aware that there are men and young boys who have also been victimized and are survivors of sexual harassment, assault, and rape. Their stories are just as important to be acknowledged; their trauma just as real.)

We need a society in which those who have been hurt are no longer afraid to speak up. Rather than doubt those brave enough to come forward with their stories, we should allow them the dignity to be heard, help them heal, and seek justice for them. We can only do better as a society when we shine the harsh light of truth on the evils of the world, and make a commitment to change things for the better… and that’s what this book is about.
The essays in this book give women a voice that has not been seen or heard before.
Ultimately... This book was not what I expected it to be. Springing out of such an amazing movement made me think that this would be a letdown, simply because I couldn't see it living up to the stories women have told. I was mistaken. Although not perfect, this book was an amazing read. Some essays were better than others, which I suppose is to be expected, but overall, I really loved this, and would definitely come back to this a second time after some more research.
This book cuts to the chase. You feel the stories as you read them. This book is a group of essays written by various women. Some of the stories are heart-breaking and some will definitely give you something to think about. Yes, some of the essays are stronger than others, but overall, a good read. Thanks to NetGalley, the authors and the publisher for the ARC of this timely book.
There are possible sexual assault triggers in this book. It is a very powerful read and one I would recommend for everyone who wants to know what the whole #MeToo movement is really about, how you can be a part of it, and how you can DO something about the situation.

This is a collection of personal essays--most written by women, but also some by men. While it doesn't seem appropriate to say I enjoyed this book, it was definitely an educational read. Some are politically slanted, and others are personal experience stories. I was touched by many of them, and even found myself in tears at a few.

The ebook version of this book is available free on all platforms, and the print version is available at cost.

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley and the publishers, with no expectation of a positive review. All thoughts and opinions are entirely my own.