Dreams of Falling

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 05 Jun 2018

I don't know what it is about Karen White and the stories she tells. As with all her previous books, I'm drawn into the characters, their lives, and their history. With this tale, Larkin has been away from her Southern home for 10 years working in NYC denying any connection to her roots. Now her mother is in the hospital. Larkin returns home and must face why she stayed away and the history of her family. All of which she tries to avoid until the truth pulls her in.
Karen White has the ability to write a book that speaks to your very soul.  Dreams of Falling is one of those books. This was a multi-generational novel with vivid characters living in an area that was as vibrant as a color pallet.  Larkin leaves the South behind hopefully severing her emotional roots and lives a clean uncluttered existence in New York City.  After years of therapy she believes that she has moved past her pain and is healed.  But is she? Dreams of Falling is a story of love and loss, secrets and love for our friends and family.  It was hard to put this book down and one that will not be soon forgotten. Highly recommend.
No one does the Low Country better than this author. This one I read in one day.  The story about three old friends who harbor a devastating secret, The effects of that secret requires them to come to terms with the past. I especially liked that one of the narrators was a woman in a coma.
This is a powerful novel by one of my favorite authors.  Besides bringing the south to life with her vivid, sensory description, this is the story of family, love, and forgiveness. It is also about coming to terms with the past and then letting go of it so that it doesn’t control us. I particularly loved the last paragraph… It felt like All the threads of everyone’s stories were leading up to those last few sentences. Perfect!
I am a big fan of Karen White's books so I was so happy tho see that she has a new one coming out.  That said, this one I did enjoy it particularly because it was set In Georgetown South Carolina.  Been th;ere several times and I can see the places that she described vividly.  I don't think this is one of her better books(Fan of the Ghost Books set in Charleston).  However, I will recommend it to my patrons.
The disappearance of her mother is the only thing that would bring Larkin back home to Georgetown, South Carolina. When her mother is finally found in the ruins of her family’s rice plantation, no one can explain what she was doing there and why. Injured and unconscious, Ivy can’t answer Larkin’s questions, so Larkin knows she will have to find the answers herself, as she digs into her family’s past. Holding a book by Karen White is like holding treasure, she’s truly the gold standard in Southern women’s fiction with compelling characters and locations so real and vivid, you’ll swear you can smell the pluff mud