Cover Image: Dark Game

Dark Game

"After a scandal forces DI Kelly Porter out of the Met, she returns to her home turf in the Lake District. Crimes in the Cumbrian constabulary tend to be of the minor sort, but Kelly begins work on a cold case that shocked the local community – the abduction and brutal murder of ten-year-old Lottie Davies."

This was a great book and a lovely introduction to DI Kelly Porter (I am not sure if Rachel Lynch has written more books with her as the main character).  The twists and turns and shocks and surprises along the way kept me enthralled and I loved the dark style of writing of the more sinister scenes.

A new Author for me to look out for.
Fantastic novel with a tense storyline throughout. Great characterisation. Will look forward to reading more of Rachel‘s books.
I liked the setting for this crime novel in Cumbira, seemingly the first of a new series, and I liked the main character detective Kelly Porter.  It was a gripping read with a good plot and I think it will all develop into a good series.
DI Kelly Porter has returned to her childhood home in the Lake District after a scandal forced her out of the Met in London. She begins to work on 3 seemingly different cases but as she investigates further oils they be linked in someway? These people are dangerous and will stop at nothing to get what they want.

This is the start of a new series featuring a tough female cop. She is somebody who won't let things go, and is not afraid to push the boundaries. A great character and makes for a fast read. This story is dark and intriguing.
I loved Rachel Lynch's first book and was eagerly anticipating this next one. However, I was a little unenthralled. it wasn't as fast-paced and was more predictable. Solid read and I'd still recommend to fans.
I really enjoy a good thriller and last year I had the pleasure of reading several that were published by Canelo so when Ellie got in touch and asked if I’d like to take part in a blog tour for the first book in a new crime series I jumped at the chance, and Dark Game certainly didn’t disappoint.

DI Kelly Porter has left the Met Police under a cloud after a case went wrong, returning to the Lake District where she grew up she’s now trying to find her place in the squad room in Penrith. Dark Game sees Kelly taking the lead on her first cases since returning, starting with a cold case that had shocked the area several years before, she also finds herself investigating an abandoned baby and his mother who seem to have been smuggled into the country illegally, finally she finds herself taking the lead in a suspected robbery after a local businessman is found dead in one of his own hotels minus his expensive watch and a roll of money. As Kelly delves further into each case she soon discovers her three cases might not be as separate as first thought

Once I started Dark Game I couldn’t put it down, making my way through it in one sitting. I took an instant liking to DI Kelly Porter, she’s one tough cookie, determined to regain her confidence after being scapegoated and losing her drive in London. Kelly is clearly a competent detective, and is getting her professional life back in order, we also discover a little about her personal life, back living in her childhood room she struggles to connect with her mother and is the polar opposite of her sister which leads to tension. I think this insight into her personal life really helped me connect to the character, it was certainly something I could identify with. While Dark Game focused heavily on DI Porter as the lead character we were also introduced to a number of secondary characters who work with her, I’m looking forward to them being developed further in the following books.

The plot caught my attention and didn’t let up until I’d finished, it’s not a book for the fainthearted though, it deals with some difficult topics including people trafficking, prostitution and child abduction, and Rachel doesn’t shy away in her descriptions, there are some brutal murders and graphic descriptions, so Dark Games won’t be for everyone but for those who don’t mind their crime fiction more on the gritty than cosy side this book is for you.

Would I Recommend?
Yes, Rachel Lynch does a wonderful job of combining the dark underworld of drugs, prostitution and trafficking with the picturesque setting of the Lake District. The settings are described in detail, so while it’s an area I’m not familiar with I’m sure anyone who knows the Lake District will be able to picture the scene clearly. I may now know more about Darren’s gut than I ever needed to know Dark Game is a wonderful introduction to a new series. One that I will be eagerly following waiting for the next instalment.
Great thriller set in the Lake District.
I am happy to report that this book is geographically accurate! Living in the Lakes, I did enjoy reading about the places and the fells that I love, and it was obvious that the author knew what she was talking about, or rather writing about, when she set this series in Cumbria. That put me in a good mood, so I wasn't too upset about all the nasty things that happened in the book.
Three seemingly separate crimes were investigated, and the plot had been cleverly woven together so that they were all connected. It was obvious to me that this was what was going to happen, so I did enjoy finding out whether I had been on the right track! I did think that the author had done a good job in thinking up the crimes, and how seemingly different things would connect.
The lone female police officer is not a new idea, and there have been many recent series about such a person. However, I did find the main character quite believable, and did enjoy her relationship with her sister, particularly the things said towards the end. I will definitely read further books in this series.
Well, what can I say, except this was a really cracking read, and had me engrossed all the way through.  I’m not sure if it was a debut novel, but if it was, this author is up there with the major players.  It was grim, gritty and just fabulous.  The characters blended well together and were likeable except for the miscreants.

I’d forgotten I’d been given this as an ARC by Netgalley and my apologies for the delay in submitting a review.  I was also privileged to receive the 4th one in the series, but you’ll have to wait a few days while I catch up with 2 & 3!!

Thank you to Rachel and netgalley for the ARC.

Meanwhile, Kelly is also investigating two seemingly straightforward crimes: a case involving an illegal immigrant, and a robbery following the death of local businessman Colin Day. But evidence comes to light that reveals a web of criminal activity beyond anything Kelly imagined. Behind the veneer of sleepy, touristy towns lies a dark and dangerous underworld. As Kelly threatens to expose those with much to lose, she risks paying the ultimate price to get to the truth…

Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC.

Well, that was a gripper!

This is the first book I have read by this author and I really enjoyed it.  I think this could become one of my favourite detective series and so I am keen to get into the others.  There are different threads to the story but well-connected as the main character continues her investigation.  I really enjoyed the writing and characters felt real.
A great police procedural book that has the signs of a promising series. Very well written and characters with the strength to keep the reader wanting more.
Another thrilling crime fiction novel. Thank you Negalley and the publisher for this ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.

Dark Game is the first in this police procedural series and it was a great first book that set the tone for the series.

Detective Kelly Porter arrives back home in Lake District where mysteries and danger awaits her at every turn. She’s an awesome female protagonist with great dynamics to her. There’s more to this story than just crime at the forefront. There are also so many twists and turns! I also found it easy and quick to read. Looking forward to more in this series.
This is the story of things are not always exactly what they seem, two simple cases to solve but they are more than meets the eye. This is a gripping crime thriller, a genre which has exploded in the last year. One that will keep you turning pages until the very end.
I'm sad that I wasn't able to read this book, because it was too much at the same time. I guess that his book was amazing and I would love to try and read it.
Now i will have to buy one!
Wow!  This was a great first book of a series, which can be notoriously hard to get right.  The way the writer described Cumbria, also made you feel like you could imagine being there.  Definitely recommended and I look forward to reading book 2.
I apologise for the fact that I didn't download, read and review this book.  It was a particularly bad time for me and I'll confess that I completely forgot about it.  It's a pity as I have enjoyed and reviewed a later book in the series.
I was so engrossed in these books that I read all 3 one after the other. DI Porter was wonderful and she deserved to be respected for what she was doing. The way the books carried on from each other was very well written and the story lines were very easy to become  totally absorbed in. I will continue to look for these and carry on reading more of her stories. Can’t wait to see what happens with Johnny.
A new detective series from Rachel Lynch and it should do well if the follow on books are as good. DI Kelly Porter returns to her home after a career in the big smoke and reopens an old cold case. Thinking she could use her experience and solve the case, however she did not expect to be involved in one of the largest cases in the country. The author paints a very clear picture of the criminal underworld that in pursuit of greed, pander to the perverse needs of seedy and wealthy people, who appear to be normal upstanding citizens. The book moves very quickly building the case, piecing together all the clues and adding in some thrilling action which will keep you hooked till the end. The writing style is straight forward and uncomplicated making it a pleasure to read. Strongly recommended.
I received an ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to NetGalley, Canelo, and the author Rachel Lynch.
A good, gripping detective story, which was incredibly dark and gritty at times, but enjoyable nonetheless.
A book with a solid premise, but nothing to get overly excited about. 3 stars, right down the middle. Would recommend for some easy holiday reading.
The first 80% of this novel was a solid 4* for me and I was enjoying a strong female lead character. Unfortunately the final 20% was a 2* due to implausibility in the plot and some really stupid decisions.
Loved this book and would definitely like to read more in the series.  I enjoyed the Lake District setting, I dont think I have read a book set in the Lake District before and you can imagine how quiet and isolated some areas are for these criminals to run their activities.  I liked the character of Kelly and the eastern European receptions/night manager.  Although it was fiction i do think that these things could be happening!!  It was written so well that it was believable!