The Exes' Revenge

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 25 Sep 2018

definitely a good beach summer read - makes you want to find your exes' exes to see how they're doing...
Three women plotting revenge against the man who did them dirty is so novel and satisfying.  Look forward to more from this author.
I am sorry for not reviewing fully but I don’t have the time to read this at the moment. I believe that it wouldn't benefit you as a publisher or your book if I only skimmed it and wrote a rushed review. Again, I am sorry for not fully reviewing!
Love this! It was witty and charming and every girls dream! I loved these women and the bond they formed and I loved all their scandalous ways!
The cover and synopsis did its job. Both pulled me immediately in. And at first I found this book pretty interesting. A controlling, dirty dude who liked to  physically, emotionally, and mentally abuse his significant others. Three scorned women. And an innocent child stuck in the middle of it all, being used as a pawn by one of his parents.

I thought how freaking cool, girl power by three as they extract their revenge. Think along the lines of First Wives Club ( as others have mentioned.) That thought didn't last long before I became bored and the story just became meh.

I didn't care enough to even continue on to find out the fate of this group.

I have way too many books and not enough time to stick with a book that isn't doing it for me.

Next.
Disclaimer: I was given a free ARC of The Exes’ Revenge through NetGalley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.

Book TWs:
Domestic violence and all that it entails. Animal cruelty. Predatory behavior. Suicidal thoughts or actions.

I don’t often read psychological thrillers, nor do I typically watch them on the big screen. That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed The Exes’ Revenge! Was it at times OTT? Yes. Were there moments I considered abandoning the book altogether? Yes. However, once I hit the halfway mark, the story took an incredibly dark turn and I couldn’t put it down.

While the bulk of the story is told by Imogen, Phillip’s second wife, a chapter here and there gives the reader a look into each of the exes’ heads. Even Phillip had a chapter all his own, which somehow managed to make me loathe him more than I already did.

The pacing of the story had me on the edge of my seat, no major character was left undeveloped, and after too long in Imogen’s mind you’ll find yourself questioning the loyalties of everyone closest to her. Five stars for The Exes’ Revenge by Jo Jakeman. Brava!
I enjoyed reading this book, but I don’t feel it’s necessary to write an entire review because I feel that I’ve read this book before. It was just run of the mill. Good story, but nothing super crazy about it.
was a gripping thriller that took you to every aspect of trying to figure out what was really going on  and what was going to happen next! This was such an amazing book and I can’t wait to see what else is released from this author!
It got off to a slow start! But I stayed with it.  Drama with a few twists and turns.  Very entertaining.  I received a free copy of this book and am voluntarily leaving this review
I completely enjoyed this story.  Even though you know at the beginning exactly where it ends up (it starts with the husband's funeral), you don't know how they all got to that point - and that's the fun (???) of the story.  We have the abusive (verbally and physically) ex-husband, hippie ex-wife number 1, down-trodden soon to be ex-wife number 2, and the girlfriend.  They all come together and things slowly spiral out of control and take on a life of their own.  This isn't a thriller where you don't know who dun it...but rather a slow unraveling of the story of how these lives intermingle and the beauty of an Exes' Revenge.
A good solid thriller! Kept me engaged and I enjoyed learning about the characters. Definitely recommend.

I would like to thank NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for my honest review.
Imogen is walking on eggshells. She's going through a divorce with the most vial and evil man she could have ever encountered. One wrong move and she fears that he will take the one thing that means the most to her, their son.

When an opportunity arises, Imogen leaps at the chance to make things go her way. What she doesn't count on is a surprise visit from not one, but two of her husband's present and past loves. Needing them to understand where she is coming from, Imogen tries to head off a call to the police that would ruin everything.

Can these three very different women unite against this evil force? Are they all in this together or is there a mole on the inside, feeding information to the man they all despise.

An intriguing and thrilling read, with secrets being revealed around every corner.
This story is just a little dark for me and deals with domestic violence.  Three women who were all involved with the same man band together to help each other.  One to save her son, one to save her sanity and one to save her future.  Phillip is very cruel and demanding.  As a police officer he is controlling and threatening to all those he meets. The story starts with his funeral and backtracks to how he died through the stories of Imogene, Ruby and Naomi.  I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
I thought the exes revenge would make a very interesting made for TV movie or Netflix series. it’s one of those folks that you don’t want to put down because it’s very far out there but works really well. It was definitely a bit over-the-top but I like how things seemed to fall right where they should have. It definitely had an unrealistic unpredictable plotline but I can’t say how many times that actually worked for this one.

I liked that it showed how sometimes people don’t change as much as you would like them to it’s just not gonna happen. It also shows how some people are extremely manipulative and others are very naïve and seem to fall for it time and time again.

This book really gives the quote “revenge is the best medicine” a new take. At some point I kind of laughed out loud and how this could really never happen into life. But overall I really enjoyed this one and took it with a grain of salt.
This is a book about one man and his relationship with three women. Phillip Rochester is truly one of the most despicable characters in modern fiction. This sadistic abusive man is a cop and his brothers in blue have turned the other way and ignored his behavior. I wanted to jump in the bok and kil him myself. The woman are Ruby, the ex-wife who still loves him, Imogen the current but soon to be ex-wife who bore his son, and Naomi, the hot young thing and current girlfriend who thinks she will be the next wife. These women who have nothing in common except Philip band together to seek revenge. The book starts with Philip's funeral but we are left to find out the who and how. We know the why. The chapters move among the characters and from present to past. In this way the characters are well developed. It should be noted that there is explicit dometic abuse in this book.  This book kept me reading into the night and I wish to thank Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to read and review it.
The title of the book pretty much describes the plot of the book.  Our despicable husband/ex Phillip is a master manipulator and police officer whose ex wives and current fling all band together to seek revenge for all the terrible things he has done to them.   While there is a lot of action and suspense in the book, I feel like it dragged on just a little  in the middle section.  I also wasn't a huge fan of one of the exes, but it probably helps describe how a woman could manipulated and treated so poorly by her husband.  Lastly, I felt like the extent of Phillip's awfulness  was laid on just a bit too thick and therefore made it more unlikely these women wouldn't have gotten some protection from him somewhere down the line.  Overlooking those slight flaws, it was an interesting read and quite suspenseful in some places.
A psychological thriller that keeps readers on edge as three women decide to take matters in hand when they are all systemically abused by the same man. Edged with dark wit and tense simmering violence, Jakeman addresses domestic violence and the stereotypes that continue to revolve around it with a solid compelling voice and a well-plotted storyline. My only qualm was the flashbacks didn't mesh well every time and at times I became confused as to where and who was speaking.
Look, we have all dated some really terrible people. But I have never had the unfortunate experience of dating - let alone marrying - someone like Phillip Rochester. He's controlling and abusive and knows all the buttons to push to make a woman feel small. He eats power like Cheerios, and he uses it to his ever advantage. Imogen feels like she escaped practically unscathed, and with a darling son to show for it. But now Phillip has moved onto Naomi, a young woman who already felt lost in this world. When Phillip doesn't come home from Imogen's house one day, Naomi makes her way over to see what happened. Add in Phillip's first ex-wife Ruby, and you have a cocktail for disaster.
This is one of those thrillers where you know what happens to the bad guy from the very first page, but that doesn't change the fact that, as you read, you want the very worst thing to happen to Phillip at every moment in the novel. He's truly a terrible person with no redeeming qualities, and even when it's revealed why he's doing what he's doing, you don't feel bad. You're actually happy that he's getting all this dung piled on top of him, especially considering where he is throughout most of the novel.
Even though we know what happens to Phillip, that doesn't make any part of the novel any less stressful. The entire time, I'm thinking that maybe the girls are going to get away with what they've done, and then something throws a wrench in the plan. I was pretty much on edge from the moment Imogen ~does things~ until the last page. I kept expecting for the hammer to fall, for the moment when I'd be told that the first chapter was just a dream.
To me, this novel felt like a real testament to the horrors that women go through on a daily basis, and yet, we're still here. Phillip puts these women through hell, and they fight back in the best ways that they can, no matter how long it takes them. The absolute resilience of women is beautiful and awe-inspiring. Imogen never gave up her search for what happened to her one night, and even in the face of her own mortality, she fought back. The Exes' Revenge is the type of novel that has you cringing in fear one minute, and then cheering wildly the next.
I actually read it again right after I finished it, and it only got better the second time around. This is a thriller that will get your heart pumping and your mind racing. It's the kind of thriller to keep you up all night because you have to figure out what happens next. You'll be exhausted the next day, but trust me, it'll be worth it.
Thoroughly enjoyed this debut novel by Jo Jakeman! The book opens at Phillip's funeral and throughout the book the reader is introduced to Phillip's three "Exes" and the type of life each of them lived with Phillip ... The book has mystery, intrigue, darkness, good versus evil, some humor and definitely checks the box on revenge by an ex! If this book is any indication of the type of author Jo Jakeman is, I can't wait to read her future books!
I loved the idea of a book about exes getting revenge on a truly sadistic man.  We know from the start that the husband, Phillip is dead.  What we don't know is how it happened.  The book kept me in suspense from the start up until about the middle.  The revenge portion was really not something that could happen in real life, but Jo Jakeman's writing is so good and so engaging that it hooked me back in to the very satisfying ending.  I would read more by this author.