Cover Image: #MurderTrending

#MurderTrending

I don’t even know where to start with this. In a not-too-distant future, convicted criminals who have received the death penalty get shipped to a Survivor-style town, where they work minimum-wage jobs, hang out with their fellow criminals, and get hunted down on live television by celebrity assassins. Dee didn’t murder her stepsister, but she was convicted anyway, and pretty teenagers are always popular additions to the cast of Alcatraz 2.0.

There’s no real character development in Dee or her friends in the Death Row Breakfast Club (I’m not making that up), and while the serial killers’ murderous methods are described in gory, painstaking detail, there’s no real character development on that end either. I wouldn’t mind that so much if the plot held together, but it’s such a crazy mess: Wait, this whole thing has always been about Dee and getting Dee specifically to Alcatraz 2.0? Doesn’t that seem a little — complicated? — for a revenge scenario? I mean, there are actual laws that had to get through Congress to make this happen, which seems like a lot of work to get revenge on one teenage girl. How many years would that take? Did this whole plan start when Dee was in kindergarten?

I’m on board for a good accused-criminal-proving-her-innocence arc, and I’ll happily ruminate on the evils of reality of television, but this book was a mess. Which maybe would have still been okay if it had been an entertaining mess. Alas, it was not.
An interesting read! Purchased for our YA library collection. I encourage all library's with a YA collection to add this book (and the series) to their collection, especially for readers who appreciate a fast-paced story. I wouldn't go as far as to call this a true horror, but it was definitely a fun read.
#MurderTrending was on my TBR for a while so I was excited to finally get the chance to check it out! I loved the idea of the novel and thought it really had a lot of potential. It ended up being a little cheesier and more childish than I was imagining and that was a bit disappointing. I think there was a lot of potential in this novel, but it missed the mark a little. The characters were fun and entertaining, but I think the entire novel felt a little rushed and underdeveloped. All in all, it was entertaining but didn't really leave me wanting more. Thank you to NetGalley and Disney for sending this novel in exchange for an honest review.

Rating 2.5/5
This book took me a long time to finish, largely because I found it so. very. boring. This was especially bad since the book is marketed as a dystopian thriller. If a book is marketed as a thriller, the plot shouldn't be so slow and uninteresting. I had to restart this book so many times that I kept forgetting what had already happened. Overall, a very unmemorable book, BUT I will say that the cover is one of the coolest I saw all of last year.
I did not like this book at all. It was very slow and overall boring. The first parts were kind of okay but just acceptable. But, as of the rest of this piece, it was all over the place. The characters did have their personalities, but they were all just repulsive and I did not connect to any of them.
I am sorry for not reviewing fully but I don’t have the time to read this at the moment. I believe that it wouldn't benefit you as a publisher or your book if I only skimmed it and wrote a rushed review. Again, I am sorry for not fully reviewing!
Dee Guerrara wakes up in the worst possible situation. She has been convicted of a crime and will serve her time in Alcatraz 2.0. This subdivision of the Department of Justice is run by the Postman, who has set up a system in which stylized, branded killers target island inmates and issue the ultimate sentence. The Postman records the events on Alcatraz 2.0 & showcases them in an app, establishing a full fandom around each killer & occasional inmates.  After Dee accidentally kills her killer on her first day, she becomes a fan favorite and key target.  But the inconsistencies from her trial, and a number of scary coincidences on the island lead her to wonder if Alcatraz 2.0 is even more contrived and terrifying than she originally thought.

#murdertrending is a thrilling page turner with such a unique setting that you can help but be engrossed in Dee's story.  The details and systems of Alcatraz 2.0 & the Postman app are half the fun. What a clever setup! Each killer has a ridiculous name and persona (Molly Mauler, who uses wild animals to tear apart her victims; Gucci Hangman, who stages an elaborate theatrical scene for  his murders & always uses an expensive scarf as his weapon) & a dedicated fan base.  Dee and her fellow inmates, aptly dubbed the Death Row Breakfast Club by app fans, are endearing and easy to root for.  The themes and tone of this book are tremendously dark, but for a book filled with killers and murder, it was really fun.  I'm concerned about myself for saying that, but the book is so outside of the realm of reality that I never took it super seriously and just enjoyed it for what it is - a suspenseful, fast-paced mystery.  Grab this one if you love One of Us is Lying or The Purge movies.
An action-packed story with lots of twists and turns. I really enjoyed this book but recognize that the violent nature may not be for everyone.
A Hunger Games on steroids style fight to the death reality show with a KILLER plot. Sets up for sequel, #murderfunding , coming 2019
This book was MINDBLOWING! I love the characters, the details, the plot, that was very... unique and well-written. A little bit too fast in the beginning, i think. But I STILL LOVED IT!
Actual rating: 1.5 stars
I struggled through this one. I really wanted to DNF it, but I did request it from Netgalley and felt compelled to stick with it. It had all the elements of things I thought I would enjoy in a thriller/dystopian type book, but it just didn't work for me. I didn't like any of the characters at all. I didn't connect with any of the characters at all. Everything seemed so outlandish when I think it was meant to be somewhat believable. Some of the parts are like if Cube had a baby with Saw and then took elements of Gore from Hostel. Overall, I wouldn't recommend this read. I started it back in July if that hints towards how much I struggled to get through it.
Definitely a fresh twist on a unique concept! This is definitely a chillingly fun read over a wintery weekend.
Thank you for approving me for this title. I have found that I am no longer interested in reading this one and will not be reviewing it on my blog or anywhere else.
This was ok, I wasn't able to finish it completely but plan to try reading it again. I feel like I want to give this another chance.
The teens that come to our library YA sections have not been disappointed.  They love the story and futuristic vibes.  Will be ordering more from this author.
❝The instant Dee Guerrera peeled open her eyelids and gazed around the dimly lit warehouse, she knew she was screwed. Fifty million people are about to watch me die. ❞

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts are my own!

This book totally pulled me in from page one with its unique premise, a charming main character, and the mystery of an unsolved murder. #Murdertrending deserves more attention and is a fun read that I tackled in just two days.

First, let's jump into the premise. this is a future where the USA has turned to a figured called The Postman for a solution to its crime problem. with a blend of reality TV entertainment and twisted murder scenes, #Murdertrending is sure to be a hit with fans of Hunger Games and similar dystopian novels.

In Alcatraz 2.0., prisoners try to survive as long as they can on an island that hides twisted serial killers called executioners. The mysterious Postman controls everything on the island and with his special app, anyone and everyone in the world can tune into the hundreds of cameras on the island to watch every second of each gruesome death.

Dee is the newest inmate on the island and her arrival sets a dangerous game into motion. it also forces her to remember memories best left in the past. with a new group of allies, Dee begins to uncover the secrets of Alcatraz 2.0. She quickly becomes a new internet sensation after her first run-in with one of the executioners, which earns her the nickname #CinderellaSurvivor.

❝ Screw the Postman, screw the criminal-justice system, screw the government for letting it all happen. She wouldn't play their game, and if that meant she died faster, so be it. ❞

Aside from this interesting dystopian element, another aspect that I loved in this book was the writing style. McNeil really works the social media element by including snippets of forum posts from The Postman app. I thought this was a really thoughtful and cool addition that tied into the whole feel of the book very well.

While the prisoners of Alcatraz 2.0. were certainly interesting and well written, I think the over-the-top executioners really appealed to me. They were a little cheesy but I loved it. They were pretty colorful characters and had some interesting murder techniques. I like Prince Slycer who dressed his victims as Disney characters and Gucci Hangman who killed his victims in fashion. There were others, of course, but I'll let you discover them for yourself.

The pacing was fast in this one; every chapter was full of action and kept the plot moving. The constant progress fit well with the fast-paced lifestyle of Alcatraz 2.0. Prisoners didn't get a chance to catch their breath and neither did we. The story had me hooked from the beginning and the plot carried me through.

Finally, the conclusion of the book felt perfect and left things just broken enough to leave me craving more. I'm excited to see what McNeil does for the rest of the series. I'd really love to get the opportunity to see what the Death Row Breakfast Club does next.

#Murdertrending is a fun weekend read that fans of the horror/thriller and dystopian genres will enjoy. Definitely take some time to check this out!

#Murdertrending was released on August 7th, it's a book that's worth checking out!
Whoa! This technically sci-fi book takes place in such the close future that it seems like it could happen tomorrow. And that is terrifying! The premise was extremely fascinating and the mystery was unpredictable. All in all, a nailbiting book that was a fascinating read.
I received a digital copy of this book from Netgalley for an honest review.

This was definitely creative but I found the whole thing just rather silly. If you like campy horror movies you would probably like this. I don't, so it just wasn't for me.
Librarian: Like many other librarians (and other professional readers) I will admit to the fact that I am getting slightly sick of YA Dystopias. There's just so many of them, and for the most part they're all quite similar. There's a few general types (ie corrupt government, people divided up into some type of social classes, protagonist thrown into prison for a crime they didn't commit, etc). This one is of the "protagonist in prison for a crime they didn't commit" type. In this case, the crime is murder, and the prison is a town where prisoners systematically hunt one another down, all while being live-streamed around the world.
If that sounds like a Black Mirror episode, while it feels like one too. And that's part of why this YA Dystopia is a bit more fun and less formulaic than some others. It's not as heavy on the corrupt government thing as most examples of the genre, which may appeal to readers who feel like they see enough government corruption in the real world. This book also feels more mystery centered, and I think that might make it appeal to a slightly larger audience than it might otherwise.
Reader: As I said, this book feels like an episode of Black Mirror (and not the one with the two women who fell in love in the virtual reality world). As such, the dystopian aspects are more focused on the evils of technology than on the type of government who would find this a good idea in the first place. That's kind of nice. Also the story is fairly fast paced and enjoyable. It's a tad predictable at times, but then, what YA novel isn't? 3.5/5 Stars
This was such a cool and intense read. It really reminded me a lot of those 90 teen horror flicks like Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer. It seems a bit weird to say this was a fun read, but it was. I loved the element of not knowing who to trust and how Dee’s past was somehow connected to her present situation.

The concept behind Alcatraz 2.0 is interesting but also hella scary given the political climate we’re in.

I can’t wait to read the next book in the series.