Cover Image: The Liar's Room

The Liar's Room

Susanna Fenton has a secret. Fourteen years ago she left her identity behind, reinventing herself as a counsellor and starting a new life. It was the only way to keep her daughter safe.

Then Adam starts to tell her about a girl. A girl he wants to hurt.

And Susanna realises she was wrong.
She doesn't know him.
BUT HE KNOWS HER.
AND THE GIRL HE PLANS TO HURT IS HER DAUGHTER...

I felt it had a slow almost vague start I found it compelling and in comparison the latter half of the book really does pick up the pace and the intrigue as well as the sense of danger. And as the dots started to be connected I started to get a better idea of what was going on, in a sense I started to see the bigger picture. It is when I realised how deceptive the story actually was that the author had very cleverly woven. Predominantly set in one room, this book is the definition of claustrophobic. It’s definitely a thrilling page turner. Simon Lelic’s writing is incredibly immersive

Many thanks to NetGalley and Penguin Books (UK) for an advance copy for a fair and honest review
Susanna is a counsellor, well she is now! But she has a past that she is trying to hide from her friends, her daughter and also herself. Adam comes to Susanna as a patient, he has never visited her before but something about him is unsettling.

This is a book that took me a while to get into as I struggled to really find my feet with what the story was about and where it was going. It is only now as I write this review that I realise that this was probably a little bit how Susanna felt when this stranger turned up. What was he about, what was his problem, did he have a problem? But even though it did feel a little slow to get going I was so glad I stuck with it. There was something quietly compelling about it that held my attention.

As the story of not only Susanna but also Adam started to be made known the sense of “there is something going on here” starts to make its shadowy presence felt. All is not as first appears. A lie told years ago raises its head, it was told to protect loved ones, does that make it right? Can telling a lie ever be justified? The author does a great job of teasing and taunting the reader, I felt as if I was being manipulated as the truth of the story gradually snaked its way out.

Even though I felt it had a slow almost vague start I found it compelling and in comparison the latter half of the book really does pick up the pace and the intrigue as well as the sense of danger. The as the dots started to be connected I started to get a better idea of what was going on, in a sense I started to see the bigger picture. It is when I realised how deceptive the story actually was that the author had very cleverly woven.

This is a book I would definitely recommend to readers who like psychological thrillers with an emphasis on family, secrets, and lies. A book that I think would raise some interesting talking points for Reading Groups.
This is a very dark psychological thriller, where noone is what they seem. The themes are quite upsetting, but are dealt with in a thoughtful way, and you do feel for both Susanna, and to some extent, Adam. I will definitely search out more books by this author.
Very tense and very dark. I was pleased there wasn't too many characters bogging down the gripping plot.
Un-put-a-downable !!
What a fabulously tense, shocking thriller and a gripping read from start to finish
I have just read this book in one sitting. The intrigue from the start and throughout the book held. my attention.  Curious as to wher this plot was going  and anxious about the outcome. A very tense gripping read .
I read this in one weekend and it did keep me engaged.
I couldn't describe it as a thriller as it's not edge of the seat stuff but it is a sad story, superbly told.
I enjoyed the style of writing and found myself sympathising with both of the main characters, each of whom were flawed personalities, expertly explained.
Many thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity.
The liars room by Simon Lelic.

ONE ROOM.

TWO LIARS.

NO WAY OUT.

It was the only way to keep her daughter safe. But everything changes when Adam Geraghty walks into her office. She's never met this young man before - so why does she feel like she knows him?

Adam starts to tell her about a girl. A girl he wants to hurt. And that's when Susanna realises she was wrong.

She doesn't know him.

He knows her.

And the girl he plans to hurt is her daughter.
This was a good read with likeable characters.  Little bit slow in places but still a good read. And what an ending. 4*.
This book was not the easiest to read but if you keep going it is worth it. The ending was not rushed and was set at the right pace, keeping the reader gripped until the end. Well worth a look if you like suspense novels with a twist. I can't give this 5 stars as it is not the best book I have read this year, but it certainly in my top 20
I started this book unsure but quite quickly I was gripped and couldn’t put it down!!!! It was intriguing....who was this man ? What was the story? It unraveled and I was hooked! Thanks, an excellent read
I read The House by this author and I’ve got to say I had high expectations. I’m glad to say the author reached my high expectations and more as I really enjoyed this story.

The plot of this is so good. It’s well thought out and executed. Each chapter was like another part of the jigsaw, another step towards getting answers to the questions whizzing around in my head.

I’m not gonna go into the storyline. This is a story that needs to be read without spoilers.

I found this to be a creepy kinda read in that I could watch it on the tv...one of those movies where you wanna watch it but afraid of what’s gonna happen.

This is definitely gonna be one of my favourite reads this year. I can’t wait to read more from this author in the future.
Wow, I absolutely loved this book.  This was really grabbed my interest and just didn't let go.  I read this in 1 day.  Such a gripping read with an amazing plot full of twists and turns.  I don't want to say too much as I don't want to give away the plot. I cannot recommend this book enough.  You will definitely not be disappointed.  Wow wow wow, fantastic.  Well done Simon Lelic. Another fabulous read!!!
SImon Lelic, with "The Liar's Room", gives us a truly chilling and fast paced novel.  Full of unexpected twists and turns you are guaranteed an excellent read.  The story is based around that extraordinary bond that exists between mothers and their children and how this bond can lead to both good and grim outcomes.  In this novel we have two mothers, a suicide, a son with murder in mind, a daughter having a secret affair. It raises the question do mothers ever really know their children and what they get up to outside the home?  Lelic, cleverly and cohesively uses these elements to put together an all-too-believable scenario. Certainly not an easy read but immensely gripping and enjoyable.
I find it disappointing when the synopsis of a book has me gripped, but then the book fails to deliver. Sadly, ‘The Liars Room’ is one of those books.
The book starts well, but then doesn’t deliver anything. Both of the main characters, Susanna and Adam are, as the title says, liars and also very dislikable. I found it very hard to care what was going to happen at the end of the book as I couldn’t really care if neither of the characters got out of the room alive. It was only the supporting characters and storyline which kept me reading until the end, and I am not sure it was really worth reading until the end to reach that conclusion.
Thanks to NetGalley for a Kindle copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.
Good in parts and unbelievable in others. It was just an ok read. Quite good premise but fell down for me with some of the storyline. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to review it.
One of the biggest compliments I can give this novel is that I was surprised to realise it was written by a man about two thirds of the way through. As is the way with digital books, the actual cover is almost incidental and it was only by way of a technical glitch that I saw the author's photo at the end of the book when trying to relocate a current reading position.

The main voice is really well-written with a deft subtlety and relatability, despite the tragic events which just keep on unfolding around her. You can imagine the sheer bewilderment and even empathise with her subsequent defensive actions despite the reader having a degree of hindsight - always a wonderful thing.

I applaud any reader who guessed quite who has come to visit her at the start of the novel. I did start to work it out but as the book's title suggests, the narrative keeps wrongfooting you along the way.

A human look at a strong story behind the headlines and a timely reminder that more so than ever before  newspapers/websites/blogs etc are in the business of selling copies/getting clicks, likes or shares, no matter what the actual facts may be.
The Liars Room is a typical psychological thriller that drip feeds you the information all the way through and although I did enjoy it my attention wavered at points throughout the book and it never quite captivated me as I thought it would. 3.5 stars for me.
This thriller is based in one room with two people who from the beginning you think have nothing in common or connected by anything but as the story advances this becomes very clear that this is not how it seems at all.
This was an intriguing storyline but did slow down at various points which made my enjoyment fade a little. This does include sensitive issues of abuse and rape and this is the fourth book in a row to feature this but although it does it’s not as graphic as the others I have read and for this thriller that did work.
I would like to thank Netgalley and Penguin Books UK for this ARC I received in exchange for an honest review.
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest, independent review.

This is the first book I've read by Simon Lelic. Whilst a great concept for a story, with around 90% of the story set in one room with just two characters, it unfortunately didn't pull me in. I didn't connect with the characters, and felt I was just looking in rather than being there too. I also found that the ending was a little rushed after such a big build-up throughout the rest of the book.
The Liars Room was a great premise. It had the potential to be an edgy, stripped back thriller.

Two people, one room, two stories.

I loved the idea of trying to pick apart the lies and find the truth.

The book fell a little short for me. It didn't deliver the tension or pace I expected, it seemed to meander one minute and then thunder along the next.

While I still love the idea, and the writing was strong the story itself wasn't as powerful as I had hoped for.
Great character study and intense building up of tension with all the action taking place in one room between two people. I didn't really believe the voice of the teenage girl however.