Smothered

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 14 Aug 2018

This is a quick, fun, beach-y type read. I’m not the target demographic, being closer in age to the main character’s mother, but nevertheless found it to be a decent story.  It kind of reminded me of a Sophie Kinsella, if Becky Bloomwood was an American who graduated from Columbia and had a Real Housewife for a mom.  If you’re lookin for something lighthearted and not too involved I would definitely recommend.
I received an ARC of this book through NetGalley in exchange for my unbiased opinion.

Lou Hanson has just graduated summa cum laude from Columbia University and doesn't know what to do next.  She hasn't had any job offers, so she moves back home with her family in L.A.  Lou has set short-term, medium-term, and long-term goals to get out of her parents' house and start her life.  Her mom, on the other hand, is ecstatic to have Lou back and takes far too much control of Lou's life, as far as Lou is concerned.

I think this book was supposed to be funny, but I just found the characters annoying.  Maybe it was supposed to be more of a satire of how shallow and selfish people can be.  I did like the format of the book, told through journal entries, texts, bills,o and the like.  This book was not for me.  Maybe if you are closer to Lou's age, you could relate more to it?  Lou was making her life a lot harder than it needed to be with her lying.
Life for recent grad Eloise isn't quite what she expected, and moving back in to not only her childhood bedroom but with the helicopter mom of all helicopter moms is going to be a new challenge.  Cute story and characters and everyone will relate to Eloise or her mom and sometimes both.
Thank you for providing a copy of this book for review however I was unable to open the file for this document unfortunately! Apologies.
Smothered just was not for me. The book was very cringe-worthy and the shallow, racist characters just completely turned me off. Someone compared this to The Princess Diaries and I can't see the similarities. This was just a story of an entitled rich girl whining about how her life after college isn't automatically amazing and successful.
I really enjoyed this new adult novel from Autumn Chiklis! I wish I had more books in this age range. I thought it was funny, inspiring and hit me in the feels several times.
This book was a little to cheesy and shallow for me - not in a "Quick fun read" way but a hard to get through slow read. I may not be the right demographic for this book but it wasn't terrible!
I didn’t officially make a resolution or anything, but I have been trying to make a concerted effort to tackle some of the ollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllld reader copies that reside on the ol’ Kindle because (at the moment) I am doing a better job of requesting things far in advance of their release and not getting 27 library books at one time. I’ve also been tearing through like one book per day the past week or so (or in the case of this one TWO books in one day – that’s just pathetic) and need to blow the dust off as many of these as I can while I’m still in beast mode when it comes to book reading. So there’s the unnecessary info dump behind me finally diving into Smothered. Unfortunately, it missed the mark for me.

The story here is of Eloise Hansen. Recent Columbia University summa cum laude graduate (with a pretty worthless degree), Lou has to bite the bullet and move back in to her childhood home. That’s okay, though, because she has a firm 9-month plan on how she is going to get a job, get on her own two feet, and get out in the world.

I appreciate what this book was trying to do. Kind of a revamped Bridget Jones for the post-college sect. It’s not terribly written, uses “mixed media” of texts/e-mails/internet/etc. that I enjoy, and is over-the-top-silly (on purpose). The problem I had???? The characters.  So annoying.

First of all, we’re dealing with some real first-world ancillary people here with an “Instagram celebrity” younger sister and a vapid mother who is able to charge tens of thousands of dollars monthly and never really have it catch up to her. But the real problem is Lou. Now I know I’m old and cranky, but I 100% sympathize with youngsters today trying to make it upon graduating. The job market is hard and the housing market is nearly impossible. I’m pretty sure I couldn’t afford to buy my house today – and that sumbitch is pretty much an effing dump. However, I do not want my reading experience to make me feel even more curmudgeonly than I do on the regular and this one had me seriously channeling my inner John Witherspoon.

I mean maybe don’t major in Philosophy if you’re planning on immediately being able to obtain a paycheck upon receiving your degree, but at minimum be prepared to apply for jobs! - ANY jobs. Retail, coffee shop, ANYTHING. JFC, who does this girl think she is – Cousin Eddie?

The only likeable character in the whole mix was the boyfriend, but even he was a knock-off of Adrian Grenier’s chef character in The Devil Wears Prada . . . . and also he should have dumped Lou’s a$$ for being ashamed to introduce him to her parents.

This one is getting shelved under "maybe I'm too old for this $hit." because it made me feel like a geezer, but I’m not certain it won’t be a big hit for those of you who are (sadly) decades younger than me.

ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you, NetGalley!
Thank you NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for my review.

What a great fun beach read!  I love when I get books like these after reading a few heavy ones.
This was just a great story of mother and daughters filled with humor and love!
If you are looking for a light read and a few laughs out loud, this is the book for you! I enjoyed this book and the "real life" adventures and viewpoints of those who are hoping to go out on their own!
The way Smothered is laid out makes for such a pleasure-able and quick read. The content is relate-able. What does every college grad dread? Moving in with their parents and under their rules and watch again. Chiklis does a great job of making you feel like you're in her shoes.
Unfortunately the downloaded copy of this book was corrupted and it has since been archived, leaving me unable to read and review this.
I loved the format of this book and it was the main reason that kept me going, considering I wasn't really connected to the plot itself. The books tackles with ease many modern social media problems that the millenial generation faces nowadays. I loved the humour and the witty remarks on many dialogues and passages.

Overall, 3 out of 5 stars, and I think I want to read more books by this author, even if this one didn't stand out a lot to me. Thank you for the oppotrunity, NetGalley!
I loved part of the format for this book. Text messages, IMs, emails, etc are one of my favorite formats to read. It's so fun!

While the format was fun, I had a hard time getting into this book. It went super slow for me. I am a recent college graduate, but I have been out on my own for some time now. Due to this, the characters were hard to relate to. The mom seemed to be too over-the-top.

Overall, this could have been a really good book. In some aspects, it was. It just wasn't the book for me.
Modern day, text and, journal entries, social media... Felt very millennial.. and very old at the very same time,  I think it was ok, but I didn't love it.   I sometimes got very frustrated with the main character Lou.
Would be no stars if possible. DNF'd very early on--writing was cringe-worthy. I was disappointed because the premise sounded like a book I would be interested in, but overall, it was such a disappointment. I couldn't even force myself to get through it. Definitely one to skip.
I was excited to read Smothered because it sounded pretty relatable. A postgrad moves back to her childhood home because she doesn’t have a job lined up after graduation. Unfortunately I only got about twenty percent into the book before I DNFed it. It was just too privileged and too over the top that I kept rolling my eyes and wasn’t enjoying it at all. There was also a section about their housekeeper who is “part of the family” but then the main character goes on to say that no one in her family can talk to her because she only speaks about ten words in English, also she jokes about how she might me an undocumented immigrant. Nope, not funny. I don’t think I’m missing much by not reading the rest of this book.
This was quite the fun little read! it was very light hearted and kept me reading on! This got me through my summer reading slump and renewed my love for books in this genre.This is a great laugh out loud book and fans of sophie kinsella are sure to love this one.Written in diary style you cant help but fall in love with the main character and see what goes on inside their head... super totes adorable book!
A fun chick-lit romp that i found to be highly relatable. There was a distressing lack of pug pictures though.
Hilarious and fun read about a college graduate living at home with an overbearing mother and all the stereotypes of LA. I liked the style of writing - diary filled with text convos, emails, IG and FB posts. A good book to read on vacation.