A Quick & Easy Guide to They/Them Pronouns

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Feb 2019

At first glance, readers would judge this book as another pamphlet to hand out at school or workplaces to promote tolerance. What is great is that this book is so self-aware and recognizes this, this book embraces and satirizes the concept to make something as dry as grammar engaging and entertaining. I love how the authors entered themselves into the book to represent the different viewpoints: one not defined by gender and one who identifies with a particular gender and has a friend who is not identified by a particular gender. This exchange makes the subject approachable and relatable because readers love seeing their views validated and represented by individuals who resemble them.
I LOVED this little book. I'm reading from the perspective of being a non-binary person myself, and I have used they/them pronouns in the past. I think the authors bring an explosively wonderful energy to the pages, offering very well-rounded sides to this very important conversation. I wish I could purchase a bunch of these and leave them around my campus, church, and various other places. This is definitely a NECESSARY read for anyone who doesn't know where to start when it comes to just searching the information out for themselves. I can't wait to check out what else these two have done!
This was a great read.  I am glad it was made aware of this via NetGalley.
While it isn't very indepth, it doesn't claim to be.  I think this is a quick easy guide to using They/Them pronouns and why you need to use them--even if the grammar nerd in you says "It doesn't sound right".  Waah, boo hoo.  Suck it up and use them, or else you face making a person feel less than for it.

I love that this GN also shows what misgendering does to the psyche of a person.  As well as how to be a better ally by being aware of harmful language and verbiage and how to correct others when a misidentification happens.

This will be a helpful tool for me, when I have people ask about my agender child.  It explains things in a manner that is easy to understand, yet gives those who desire, a jump off point to delve deeper.
A wonderful little book which gives a realistic look at how difficult approaching the use of gender-neutral pronouns is - for both speaker and non-binary listener - but also many solutions as to how we can all make that transition to normalising their use easier.
The graphics are modern, easy to comprehend and relevant. Even reluctant readers should fly through reading it.
Does exactly what it says on the cover: an easy to use graphical guide to using non-gendered pronouns. This book is best read by someone who is curious about how they/them pronouns work and/or want to learn how to best support our gender neutral friends. It will probably make for a nice gift!
A clear and thorough explanation of when, why, and how to use gender-neutral pronouns. This graphic format guide explains the topic for and from the perspective of both cisgendered and non-cisgendered folks.  This is a simple, humorous, honest and straight-forward look at why it is important to value and respect people’s wishes regarding the pronouns they go by.
This book is a revolution. I myself don’t identify as they/them, but a handful of my friends do. This book is something I think everyone should pick up at least once in there life time.
The authors/illustrators have boiled down this topic of non-gendered pronouns so accessibly that no one has reason to avoid making their way through this book if they stumble upon it.  I can definitely see myself keeping a copy of this book on hand in my classroom and making it available for students to check out.  In fact, there is absolutely no reason why this book should not be in every single school.

The tremendous Gay-Straight alliance at my current high school has even presented to the staff on making classrooms more accepting, inclusive, and non-threatening places.  Since their presentation, I've gone to saying "y'all" a lot more, and I pretty much try to say "they" exclusively, sometimes even when I "know" the gender of a writer, for example.   As an English teacher, that does mean breaking some traditional rules of grammar; but hey, I'm pretty sure those need to change.   The content in this book echoes a lot of what they asked of us as teachers, and it's spot on.

This book is a simple introduction, but that's maybe exactly what the topic calls for.   The drawings are unadorned, but the content covers a lot in such a short amount of pages.  I especially appreciated the acknowledgement of what it means to be cisgendered ally.   And if someone isn't ready to be an ally, well at the very least, "it's [our] responsibility as a decent human being to learn and use whatever pronouns they ask you to."  Kudos to the authors providing a text that will provide comfort to young people who identify as genderqueer but feel disheartened by being misgendered—all while convincing/nudging/urging teachers to give up any firm grasp on their worldview when it comes to gender and make more space for their students.
This is a great, simple, quick overview of they/them pronouns, why and how to use them, and how to not be a jerk.
What a helpful, fun guide! I learned so much. The graphic format is indeed quick and easy to follow. It breaks down the usage of they/them pronouns in particular, but it really applies to all respectful pronouns a person might use—he/him, she/her, ze/hir, and so on. (My full review is at the link below.)
A quick and easy guide to they/them pronouns, just like it says. It doesn't really get into the weeds of gender identity and why some folks might identify as non-binary, which I think is actually great - just respect people's pronouns. They don't need to give anyone a reason for preferring "they/them."
This is exactly what it says, quick and easy. While some of it is a grammar lesson, I do feel like I learned new information. And having it done as a graphic novel makes it feel less textbook. I think it would be a good book to pass around to family and friends, or recommend, if you use gender neutral pronouns. Though, I didn't appreciate them insulting Diet Coke! How dare?!
I've purchased copies for myself, my library and family members. A beautifully  written, accessible,  and  supportive introduction.
I thought this was a great guide, but I don't see many people going for it. It is definitely geared towards a younger crowd with how it is written in dialogue.
This book is a very important resource about a concept that can be hard for certain readers to understand. It breaks down the subject in a friendly and easy to understand way but also in a very firm way that does not apologize for or minimize the experience of using gender neutral pronouns. It puts forth the information in a way that is a relief for those that use they/them pronouns and clear to understand for those that do not.
Absolutely adored this! It's a compact, easily understandable and very informative guide with well drawn illustrations and I just want to hand this out to everyone who's ever said that singular "they/them" pronouns are stupid …
This book is exactly what it claims to be. It was a quick, enjoyable, and informative read. I did find it interesting that a book asking people to be more opinion minded and inclusive would claim that choosing not to use gender-neutral pronouns is rude, selfish, and lazy. That could be a turn off for people that are still wrapping their minds around this issue.
(This is a review of a digital ARC received through NetGalley.)

This title is a great primer on gender identity outside of a binary. The entire concept is brand new to many people, so it's great that a book was written to address the questions someone new to the concept may have, in addition to helping those who already use they/them or other nonbinary pronouns. I enjoyed the book's clean, simple style and I think it would be suitable for any audience. I already try to incorporate gender-neutral language and behavior when I can in my daily life, but I gained even more knowledge and advice from the tips this book provides. I highly recommend this to everyone!
This book is  a very cute comic and a very useful tool for teaching proper pronoun use and respecting those who use pronouns outside of the binary norms.
Loved this introduction to they/them pronouns and gender neutral language. The examples were super helpful, I look forward to using them. I really liked the aspects of what being a true ally means, not just the easy steps but the hard ones too! Thank you for creating such a great and needed resource.