Destination: Space

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 26 Feb 2019

Engaging and whimsical illustrations along with +certain+ well-researched facts make this offering for kids a page-turner. The author, an experienced astronaut, is surely equipped to write on the topic. Unfortunately, the book has a huge flaw--the seemingly innocent analogy in the beginning, describing the timing of creation in terms of the hours of a clock. Without using the term "evolution," the author cleverly presented his case.  Not all "scientists" would agree with his schedule of events.

Therefore, despite the fact that children (and parents) may learn many valuable things about planets and moons and space travel , we can't recommend this read.
This is a great little book. Well written. I really enjoy the illustrations, with the cartoon style characters superimposed on a somewhat realistic background. It really draws the younger audience in to the presentation. Interesting subject matter about whether humans will ever be able to live in space. It isn't intended to be completely accurate. Just a great big what-if exploration of ideas. Lots for the imagination, and lots to think about. What more could you want in an educational book.
Destination: Space is all about our ability to find other places than Earth to live. “Dr. Dave” takes readers first through a brief introduction to our history in space before covering why Earth is so special. As adults many of us are acquainted with the many challenges that come with finding a habitable planet (or alien life) elsewhere. He does his best to keep it short and to the point. He swiftly moves on to why we would want/need to leave the planet. From there it’s on to examining the various planets in our solar system and talking about the possibilities and the problems.

The illustrations were amusing. The actual pictures a bit bland at times, but they got their point across. The language was a bit too old at times for the young-reader style the book is formatted in. (I had trouble putting my finger on what exactly was the intended age range for this book.)

I don’t feel like Destination: Space gelled together very well. It’s obviously the most basic sort of primer to finding other places to live in space, but it still managed to feel a bit choppy and scattered. Also, sometimes I wondered why the author chose to relay (or not relay) certain pieces of information. Like when he tells readers that they would only need a breathing mask to live on Titan but doesn’t mention the temperature or, you know, the methane rain? He goes more in depth later on, but it still reads a bit weird.

Overall, Destination: Space failed to excite the imagination, but for a little reader who has had absolutely no exposure to the solar system and its (in)hability, this might be a good book. Honestly, I’d recommend waiting until they were a little bit older and able to handle some of the more in-depth stuff.
'Destination: Space' by Dr. Dave Williams and Loredana Cunti with illustrations by Theo Krynauw is a book for young readers about space and exploring other planets.

In this picture-filled book, the main question that gets posed is "Will humans ever be able to live on other planets?"  Then the book explores why we might need to and what viable options look like.  Terraforming Mars is discussed as well as more Earth-like options further in space.  Many uninhabitable options are discussed along the way.

The book is filled with illustrations and pictures.  It's a fun exploration of space, if not very deep.  I think it might cause further interest in young readers.

I received a review copy of this ebook from Annick Press Ltd. and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  Thank you for allowing me to review this ebook.
Please offer another download format as I couldn't open this type- despite following all steps in the instructions.  I like the description well enough to add to my order anyway.
This book has good history and some good information. It gives plenty of ideas to think about like colonizing on other planets. I wasn't crazy about the lay out but it was easy to follow. I would suggest this to a child up to 111 or 12.
Ever look up at the night sky and wonder what it would be like to live on another planet? Former astronaut Dr. Dave Williams takes readers on a tour of our solar system that points out the major drawbacks or good points for each planet and even a few of the moons. He also talks about how we learned what we know about them, and what the biggest tourist attractions would be for each spot. He even discusses what sort of shelters, transportation, and solutions for food are being created and tested. Photos from various missions and NASA projects, artists' renderings of what probes looked like as they reached various planets, and cartoon illustrations support the text. Back matter includes a list for further reading, image credits, and an index.

Dr. Dave makes sure to point out that space ships might not look like what we see in movies (with an image from Star Trek as an example). He points out that messages from Titan to Earth would take over an hour to arrive; "No hi-speed Wi-Fi here!" Equipment like the Bigelow Expandable Activity Module and various designs for surface rovers are shown, with explanations of where and how they have been/are being tested. A photo of astronauts on the ISS watching "The Last Jedi" proves that there will be a chance for relaxation in space now and then.

Whether young readers simply want to learn more facts about outer space and its exploration, or have a desire to someday join those who are venturing out beyond Earth's atmosphere, this introduction to possibilities of living on another planet is informative and fun. A recommended addition to school library collections for elementary grades.
This is a book for students anywhere between 6 and 15 years old. I am a teacher and would highly commend this book to students who were interested in space. It is well illustrated with interesting pictures and has fascinating informations and space facts. I learnt many interesting facts about the moons of Jupiter that has.

The chapters are interesting starting with Life on Earth and why our planet is perfect for civilisation. Then a chapter about the other planets and what else is out in space. There are facts about many of the moons and their atmospheres. I liked the chapter on lunar living and getting kids to use their imagination.  Then information about how to prepare for a mission to Mars. There are discussions about where future people will live in space and problems that need to be solved before that can happen.

I highly recommend this book.
This is a great book for any space lover. It is a detailed book on planets, astronaut information, earth studies and more. In comic type form it gives lots of information. Illustrations and graphics are very well done and will hold interest of older children. I think because of the information it is best for children 8+. This book would also be very good for research on a science space report.
I received this book in exchange for my honest opinion.
This is a reasonable book for the young about mankind creating living habitats on other planets and celestial bodies far, far away, but it's not the greatest one.  It's too repetitive, even if that will help with the educational side of things, and too higgledy-piggledy, going through the likely candidates for places either we or other lifeforms might one day be found on, but going through them twice and in a completely random order.  A strong visual style also helps the book's success, but it could have been given a much more simple and logical structure.
I got this book for free in return for my honest opinion via NetGalley.

I don't need to tell anyone I love science (hell, I am a scientist after all). I love learning new things in the field, especially, when it's in an area I'm not trained. Thus, Destination Space. I've always been interested in space (just not enough to study it), and let's face it, I too have wondered about humans inhabiting other planets. So when this popped up on my NetGalley feed, I couldn't pass it up.

First off, I think a book with this theme is important, with global warming and since out current "leader" (and I use that term loosely) and his administration think global warming is "just a myth," it's great to talk about this topic, especially since we humans are literally killing the earth. Speaking of global warming, I feel this book could've touched on that. It's one of the biggest threats we as the human race are facing. It would've been awesome to go into the causes, effects, etc. I mean, the main reason scientists are even looking into other planets is because it's dying, and who knows what will happen when the target audience is all grown up. However, the book only uses the words "rising sea levels," and chalks it up to writing and movie imagination *Eye Roll* The book also mentions that a deadly disease could strike and cause a planet move (more writing and movie imagination) but as someone who has studied health and biology I have to say moving people from one planet to another due to disease isn't actually ideal as it would sound, you still run into the fact that you could have a carrier who exhibits no symptoms and infects the new population (100% unrelated, but throwing it out there. Yes, I am being a know it all asshole, thank you for noticing).

The layout leaves something to be desired. I admit, I'm an adult, and therefore not the target audience but I tried hard to put myself in the kid's shoes. However, I'd would much rather read a book featuring real chapters with paragraphs. This book has little boxes with little tidbits and ton of pictures. I'm not above using pictures, but this seems excessive, there are more pictures than writing and learning material. I used to read informative books when I was little, and they weren't like this. They were short books, and yes, used pictures, but I learned something from them. I almost think kids wouldn't get a lot of information from this. Nothing seems to flow in the book either, it almost feels like it's being skipped around. They move from one topic to another then back to the first. The information provided are used and talked about over and over again. The author uses the same facts many times over but pairs it with different wording and pictures to make it appear new. Also, the information is highly basic, if you're child is in school, you can bet this is material they've already learned. Finally, the examples used in this book confused the hell out of this twenty-something scientist. I have a Bachelor's in maths and science, and the author lost me when giving examples. I feel younger readers could also experience this.

I hate knocking someone in the science field, so let's talk positives. Again, I think this could've been a great book provided they author didn't talk down so much to the audience and added more relevant information. However, it does give readers some possible job titles and definitions in the space realm. Astrobiologist, astronaut, astronomer, etc.
Amazing Book.
Me and my son just got another gem for our astronomy collection.
Nice illustrations and perfect description.
Perfect for kids who are interested in Space.

Thank you to the Author and Annick Press for the ARC.
“Destination: Space” by former NASA astronaut Dr. Dave Williams teaches children about the Final Frontier in this informative accessible guide. Young readers learn that Earth is a pretty good place to live; temperatures on Mercury are ten times hotter than here; winter on Neptune lasts about forty years; Uranus is ten billion miles away; and that Mars, although it takes six months to get to, most closely resembles Earth. This fourth title in the Dr. Dave: Astronaut series sheds light on living on other planets and is a great guide for classrooms. Highly recommended!

Pub Date 09 Oct 2018

Thanks to Annick Press Ltd. and NetGalley for the review copy. Opinions are fully mine.

#Destination:Space #NetGalley
3,5/5. The editing/visual organization of this book is just terrible. Look like an old school book from the 80's. That being said, if you go through that, and unfortunately some kids might not, the book contents is interesting, well explain and vulgarize and contain a good amount of information about our planet, others planets, life, space exploration, colonization, etc.