Riley Knows He Can

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 22 Dec 2018

This was a fun picture book to read. I liked the illustrations and overall message of possibility and Riley being able to do whatever he wanted! Still, I didn't find this one particularly engaging or creative. Still it may appeal to kids age 5 and over.
Riley Knows He Can is an adorable story about a young boy named Riley(obviously) who is nervous about starring in his first school play. Luckily, he has many friends and family members who are very encouraging and supportive that help him to conquer his fears and doubts.

I found this book to be pretty awesome and relatable. It has a great message and some really beautiful illustration. I enjoyed reading it and I look forward to sharing this book with my son this week. This is one I’d say will make a great gift to a child. I look forward to reading more by this author.
Riley Knows He Can is the second book featuring adorable youngster Riley (his freckles slay me
This story was excellent. I loved the mantra that he was taught by his sister and how he though of it whenever doubt crept in to his mind. Well written with some lovely images - 5 stars!
Good book about self confidence in kids. It is rhyming. Illustrations are wonderful.

Thanks netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an eARC
Adults often forget how scary it can be to do something for the first time. “Riley Knows He Can” helps children learn how to handle doing something new. While not every child will have to worry about starring in the school play, every child will have to face going to a new school or having to do a class presentation.  The platitudes and self-reassurance strategies Riley uses in this book will help teach kids how to face new experiences.
This is such a positive and meaningful book. Representation matters and this children's novel was well loved by my children. I enjoyed the book as well. Riley's positive message and colorful pages make for a great story time.
Riley has a school play in which he plays the king. He is very nervous but his sister Ella tells him he can do anything. Riley keeps repeating what his sister said and the story goes from there. Illustrations are cute and storyline is excellent. I love books that encourage children. This book also rhymes which I thought was very clever on the authors part.
I received this book in exchange for my honest opinion.
An excellent book for children, teaching them that they can do anything they set their mind to it. Positive encouragement flows throughout the book, and the illustrations are so cute! I love the book so much and heartily recommend it to any parent out there, especially if they have children struggling with self-confidence.
Every early education classroom should have this book! It's difficult to find diverse stories that portray POC in everyday situations, rather than only in historically negative roles. This book is fantastic on multiple levels.
I LOVE books that rhyme, my kids stay so engaged. I really loved this story, overcoming fear and support from siblings gave us a lot to talk about as a family.
This sweet story about Riley, nervous about his first school play, features beautiful illustrations that bring depth to an inspirational tale of facing fears with the help of family. A follow-up to 2017’s Riley Can Be Anything, one hopes this becomes a long happy series children and parents can enjoy together again and again! 5/5

Thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for the review copy.

#RileyKnowsHeCan #NetGalley
What a wonderfully entertaining book. Written in rhyme this story begins with Riley getting a part in his school play. He is quite nervous and even afraid but his sister has a plan to help him stay calm.
His sister has faith in Riley and knows that he can do it - as she has helped him practice his lines.
So when the time comes she tells him to say to himself - I know I can do it.
And he does.  He does a wonderful job in the play and also proves that he can do anything he puts his mind to.
Enjoyed this book and the illustrations were wonderful.  There are not many rhyming books that spark my interest but this one did. I had to know how Riley made out in the school play.
Would recommend this to anyone with young children facing something new.
This is a great children's story by Davina Hamilton told in poetry, and remarkably illustrated by Elena Reinoso in an almost 3D effect. It was really nice to see a good mix of children - not all white folks - for a change. Riley is acting in the school play. He plays a benevolent king, but the real life Riley has nerves. Fortunately, his supportive family are there, and his big sister tells him that whenever he has doubts he should remind himself that he can do it. He takes her advice, and it works!

This was a nice, breezy, upbeat and supportive story that moved fast, made its mark, and was a pleasure to read. I recommend it.
A beautifully illustrated and told tale of triumph against adversity. One that I shan't forget soon.
Riley Knows He Can, is the story of a boy named Riley who is in the midst of a performance crisis. He enlists the help of his loved ones to remind him of what he is able, yet afraid to do; perform in the school play.

I love this book for it's simple yet direct message about pushing through when it's hard. The rhyming nature of the story is a great accompaniment to carry messages such as this for children at this age.  I love it even more so for it's imagery where it projects children of color in such a positive light.  There are so many things at play here that may not stand out to many, but it provides strong examples of things that matter such as:  the power of preparation, what it's like to be affirmed by those that love you, and the power of positive role models to name a few . This is a great little story.
Riley Knows He Can is a sweet little book about doing something you've never done before, but trusting in your abilities with the help of others and your inner strength.

"But what if I freeze? Or what if I walk onstage and I sneeze?" These are the kind of questions even adults ask themselves, and it's good to let children explore the concept of doubt early on. The rhyme scheme is a good way to introduce kids to some basic phonological skills.

I enjoy multi-medium artstyles a lot, and "Riley" pulls it off quite well. This story can also bolster and encourage positive sibling interactions, as Riley's sister is very supportive.

This is a also a good book for kids interested in drama, as well as children who are shy but curious at heart.

I also enjoyed that the play that Riley takes part in is in itself a lesson - this is the part of the picture book that boosted my rating to four stars.

Conclusion
I received this picture book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

This is a fantastic little book for so many reasons, and is even better for including black characters for more relatable books - it would certainly help my black kids in therapy to feel more included.
Love this book!  First, the illustrations are amazing and show diversity.  That said, the text is amazing as well. As a speech language pathologist, I am always looking for rhyming text to help with literacy skills. This book has that, with the theme of typical performance anxiety.  The little boy in the story is going to be in a school play and is a bit nervous, but his big sister gives him advice that he can do it.  Overcoming stage fright for small children is a real thing, and I can see teachers reading this book prior to those performances all over the United States and Canada. It's a wonderful story of overcoming fears and coming out feeling great about oneself.
A solid five stars for this one. Every elementary teacher will need this book in their classroom library.

Thank you to the publisher and #NetGalley for a pre-publication ebook in exchange for an honest review.
I read this book to my 4 year old and he enjoyed the artwork and colors in the story. He's in pre-k so he can read a few words here and there. This was a perfect bedtime and morning story to read.
* I received this book on Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.* This is a lovely children's book about overcoming our fears! The main protagonist, Riley is starring in his first school play and to help him along his way, his older sister imparts some words of wisdom: I know I can, I can. Through her encouragement, and the encouragement of their parents Riley's first play went off without a hitch. In the end, he not only displays the mark of a great leader by being confident but also but continuing on in his pursuits despite his fears. Also, I love the illustrations and the diversity of the cast including seeing black women with their natural hair in braids.