Cover Image: The Family at Number 13

The Family at Number 13

Unfortunately this book wasn’t what I expected and I struggled through it.  I found it quite confusing and I couldn’t like any of the characters.
The Family at Number 13

I read this while I was on holiday and I enjoyed it a lot. The story is full of secrets, lies, twists and turns...it’s definitely engrossing and I raced through it. However, you do find yourself trying to work out what the heck is going on!! It’s a bit different to the usual psychological thrillers but different doesn’t mean bad!

I recommend The Family at Number 13 and give it 4 stars!
Thank you so much for the opportunity to review this book and to be an early reader via NetGalley! However, I will not be writing a review for this title at this time, as my reading preferences have since changed somewhat. In the event that I decide to review the book in the future, I will make sure to purchase a copy for myself or borrow it from a library. Once again, thank you so much for providing me with early access to this title. I truly appreciate it. Please feel free to contact me with any follow-up questions or concerns.
Connor thinks St. Catherine’s Hill will be an ideal place to live and run his therapy practice, and he’s eager to become part of the neighborhood. Unbeknownst to him, his new neighbors are already antagonistic towards him. One is a former client with an axe to grind. The other is a woman named Mary whose family life is made difficult by her troubled nephew and indifferent husband. All of them have secrets, but one leads to tragedy.

Seeing ‘secrets’ referenced in a book description always piques my curiosity, and makes me read the rest of the blurb. As soon as I read the blurb for this book, the questions started racing in my mind. What’s the secret? Why does Mary’s husband avoid her? Why is the nephew so angry? And most importantly: what do the anonymous letters say, and who is sending them? With that many questions, I had no choice but to satisfy my curiosity by reading it!

The story is told from the perspectives of Connor and Mary, starting near the end of the story at a significant event, before going back a few days to show what led up to it. Oddly enough, I didn’t have a preference between perspectives… which is rare for me. That’s likely because neither character felt particularly trustworthy or likable, in my opinion. That feeling panned out, to a degree, because one of the characters was revealed to be an unreliable narrator.

The questions I mentioned having were all answered satisfactorily, except one: the anonymous letters. Given the content of the letters, I was expecting something thrilling and frightening  to be revealed. But it was just kind of meh, which was a disappointment.

The event that kicked off the story, and what eventually followed, was pretty good. It didn’t blow my mind, but it wrapped up the story nicely. That said, they were pieces of the story (not to mention characters) that I wish had been fleshed out a bit more. Some things were too vague, and a couple of characters felt one dimensional despite having the possibility of being very intriguing and/or a bigger player in the overall story.

Despite having some disappointments, I enjoyed reading this book. I’ll probably read this author again in the future.

I received an advance reading copy of this book courtesy of Bookouture via Netgalley.
We all have dysfunctional family members but we can be thankful we aren't part if this one. This is all about how nothing is as it seems, things are sometimes too good to be true, and the worst of humanity. It did take me about 25% of the way through to really get hooked but after that I really enjoyed this!
Firstly, thank you to NetGalley for providing me the opportunity to read an advanced copy of this book in exchange for my fair and unbiased opinion.

This book was not one of my favorites. It was very confusing and jumped around all over the place. I stopped and started this book several times, and had to eventually force myself to finish it. The blurb sounds great, but in reality, it was a bit of a let down.
This book was one of those that you couldn’t put down, even though every character in it was unlikable. The story that weaves all the characters together just keeps you hanging on.
Connor needs to move and finds himself a lovely new house in an elite neighbourhood becomes available well he cannot believe his luck......pity about the neighbours.
I thought I had the plot worked out on this one early on, but I couldn’t have been more wrong. This book seriously gives your brain a workout and by the time you reach the end you have difficulty knowing which way is up.
This book is not only about a mystery, it also paints a beautifully the dysfunction of a family. Loved this book
A gripping psychological thriller that will have everyone turning pages.  Someone in Number 13 has a secret that could impact them all...
The book's description makes it sound like this is Mary's story. She lives with her husband and her violent teenage nephew in a nice house in a nice neighborhood. Once I'd read enough to figure out which character was which, I  thought it was Connor's story. He's the therapist who moves in next door and rapidly realizes what a mistake that was. There's no way he can see patients in his home, not with Mary's nephew screaming next door. It's a confusing book. I was probably about two-thirds of the way through before I had a good grasp of how the relationships between the characters twined together. By that time I was curious about how it all would end. From the first pages, you know it's going to be with a body in the driveway. It's not an awful book, but there are plenty of other domestic thrillers out there that I'd recommend spending your time with.
The book was okay but not as gripping as expected. It is more of a family drama filled with secrets and unlikeable characters. Slow pacing with boring stilted dialogues.
A thriller that kept me reading as I wanted to know 'whodunnit', but it was a slow drawn out story, with some characters that seemed surplus to requirements for the story!
Too much going on with too many characters that it can be confusing. Some parts were not properly thought out and didn't make sense.
Great storyline with good strong characters.  Very well written.  I would recommend this book to anyone.
This book was okay, I enjoyed it and finished it, but it wasn't majorly different to many of the books I've read before.
Oh dear. I hate giving bad reviews but this book really was not for me. Connor as the main protagonist is uninspiring and boring, the family in question unbelievable and seriously unlikeable and as for Zachery.....am I allowed to hit a pillow repeatedly fantasising it was him? I jest of course (well I don't but lets pretend eh?) I think the main problem is that the story isn't hefty enough for even for a short novel like this. Great swathes of it is in long inner monologues of Mary or a really boring conversation between Brona and Connor which I think is meant to show their chemistry but really doesn't. I've given 2 stars just for Finbarr who despite been a little swine is by far the most interesting character. In fact take Brona, Connor and Zachery out of this novel and it at well have been a decent novel. As it is it's really not for me at all.
I've read, or started to read, a lot of disappointing thrillers of late; thankfully, S.D. Monaghan's The Family at Number 13 was not one of them.  I was hooked almost from the beginning.
Mary seems to have a great life, but appearances can be deceptive, as Connor also discovers when he moves in next to Mary, in this well heeled Dublin community.  I normally love Bookouture novels, but sadly not this time.  It sounded exactly my type of thing, but found it a struggle - more like of a family drama than a thriller.  Didn’t take to Connor at all, thought he was unprofessional plus he didn’t really add much to the story.  Probably just not my cup of tea but will appeal to plenty of other people.
Not quite what i expected but a great read, I did find the middle a little confusing but all came together nicely in the end. This isn't my favourite from this author, so if you don't 'get' this one I definitely suggest trying another by this author!
I have not read anything by this author before. It is a drama with many twists and turns throughout. I did not guess where the novel was going and could not have predicted the ending. A cast of complex characters including three sisters, none of which were particularly likeable, all of which were flawed and damaged in some way.

I liked the beginning of the book which I found intriguing but found the middle section a little confusing. The ending draws the plot together and it all made sense - it is a good ending and worth persisting with the book for this.

I score this book 3 and 1/2 stars.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
This is one of those bizarre books in which all the characters are dysfunctional, if not outright mentally disturbed. That kind of book is a little too unbelievable for my taste, even if the story is interesting.

Connor is a therapist who unbelievably (I may use "unbelievable" several times in this review; I see that I've already used it twice.) moves his practice from one location to another within 24 hours, when he decides to sink all of his savings into a rental property in an exclusive area of the town. The reasons behind this move are outlined in the story, but for a therapist to do this without even considering how confusing this would be for his patients at the last minute, and to even think that the average person would settle into a new home/business location without checking it out first...unbelievable.

Practically immediately upon moving in, he is accosted in various ways by neighbors who would all certainly qualify to be patients of his, or possibly patients of a secured, locked down facility. His immediate neighbors are all hiding their own strange issues, and it's debatable at first whether any of them like each other or not. That becomes more clear later in the story. Then someone is murdered. Guess one of them didn't like THAT person.

I found this story to be so contrived and unbelievable that I actually had to finish it to see how the author had ended it. If that sounds confusing, imagine how I felt reading it.

I'm not sure why I gave this book three stars, other than I applaud the author for at least having enough imagination to write something so unbelievable that it kept me wondering how it would end.

Thanks to NetGalley and Bookoutre for a copy in exchange for my honest review.