What Kitty Did Next

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 18 Sep 2018

This is a good Pride and Prejudice pastiche, following Kitty, left at home with Mrs. Bennett by the sudden marriage of Mary to an India-bound missionary (I called that one on first reading the original), and her expanding world of London and the estates of Elizabeth and Jane and the local gentry in search of a husband. Kablean has a very good sense of the time period, and what constitutes a happy ending, as well as a realistic grip of how gender and class hierarchy makes misunderstandings catastrophic that for us are resolved easily.
I'm a Jane Austen fan, and often wondered what became of the two unmarried sisters. Well this gives an answer, and is a thoroughly enjoyable and engaging read. Kitty's personal journey is a lovely idea, and the additional characters and relationships feel very Austen-like. Ignore the sealots who will throw their handsup in horror; this is a great read and I highly recommend it.
What happens when you are left to live in the shadows of your two eldest sisters who excel at everything in life.... follow in the footsteps of Kitty and find out what she did next.....
What Kitty Did Next is a book I approached with both eagerness and a little trepidation. After all, books of this nature tend to be either hugely enjoyable or a complete disaster. I am happy to say that this story fell into the former category. It was well written and picked up nicely from the end of Austen's novel. The characters all felt 'in character', and though slow to start, Kitty's tale soon picked up the pace as conflict ensued. I read it with a smile on my face and was eager to get back to it each evening to see how Kitty would fare. Though you could read this on its own, I believe you will get more from it if you are already familiar with the events of Pride and Prejudice. All up, a fun historical fiction with a splash of action and a dash of romance. 4.5 stars from me.
I liked this book more than I thought I would.  There's been many Pride and Prejudice sequels that have made me roll my eyes but not this one.  I think I enjoyed this one more because it focused on Kitty, which is different than the norm.  I did think some of the language and plot lines were a bit too modern but it didn't take me out of the story.  It would probably only appeal to Jane Austen fans.
"What Kitty Did Next" is a Regency romance set in 1813 in England. It starts about a year after Pride and Prejudice and is told from Kitty's viewpoint. Kitty knows that her family thinks very poorly of her, but she's not sure how to improve things. Jane takes pity on Kitty and invites her to London to see the sights and learn to mix in society. Then she's invited to Pemberley! Just when Kitty feels like she's proved herself to her family and that new friends have recognized her worth (including some potential suitors), things start to crumble as old prejudices combine with a misunderstanding, forcing Kitty to return home.

The author did an excellent job of capturing the personalities and tone of Jane Austen's novel. The characters' acted in ways that were consistent with their behavior in Pride and Prejudice, and the style of writing was similar to Austen's. The author did add more historical detail--things which help bring the setting and time period alive to the modern reader. This is the best Pride and Prejudice sequel that I've read.

It's an excellent novel on it's own, too. I enjoyed how Kitty grappled with how her family treated her and questions about her future. I liked how she grew as a person. While the romantic interest didn't have a lot of scenes with Kitty (as they weren't constantly together), they did have plenty of "off-screen" time to get to know each other better. He built up her confidence, and they shared interests. And the author has done her research. I enjoyed the little historical details that were woven into the action.

There was no sex or bad language. Overall, I'd highly recommend this story and I look forward to the author's future novels.
A charming tale, with engaging characters and just enough drama to keep you wondering what twist of plot will be revealed next.  A very enjoyable read!
Kitty Bennet, freed from her sisters' shadows, begins to find her own personality through writing and music.  Love may follow, but a person from the past may cause Kitty to lose all of her newfound friends and confidence.  Kablean develops some of the lesser-known Pride and Prejudice characters, as well as introducing new ones, and gives Kitty a satisfying ending.
Fun and sweet story, but I didn’t feel the characterisation fitted well. Enjoyable but not one to re-read.
I DNFd at 3%. My head was swirling with modern storylines and I just wasn't looking for a historical book when i picked up my kindle. I really appreciate the copy though. I know that others might enjoy this book, if historical fiction is for them.
Closer to 3 1/2 stars, really, but a fairly enjoyable Austenation featuring the neglected Kitty Bennett.  Non Austen fans may not enjoy it so much, I'm afraid.  No striking anachronisms, and the language and characterizations were acceptable, but it started pretty slow -- all Bonnets and Balls for the first two thirds..  Once a  conflict finally arose the pace picked up a lot and I enjoyed the final resolution.  I would certainly read another by this author.

Thanks to NetGalley for providing me with this free ARC ebook in exchange for an impartial review.
I received a free copy of What Kitty Did Next by Carrie Kablean in exchange for an honest review.  This tale tracks the life of Catherine “Kitty” Bennet following her sisters marriages in Pride and Prejudice.  Kitty takes the critical words of her father to heart and tries her best to improve herself.  However, even though Kitty evolves, it takes time for her family’s perception of her to shift.  As a result, Kitty finds herself at the mercy of those views.

This was an entertaining book.  I liked it very much.  The only negatives were a couple of language things that did not seem to fit the time period and the author’s maneuvering the beloved Darcys into being a source of pain for Kitty.  Otherwise, Ms. Kablean did an excellent job of joining Jane Austen’s love of social satire with her love of books and writing.  Overall, this is a worthwhile read for Jane Austen fans.

#WhatKittyDidNext #NetGalley
What Kitty did next was suprisingly a good Pride and Prejudice sequel out of so many not good ones. Usually I dislike them wholeheartedly, but this time I actually enjoyed it. The writing was surprisingly good and though by no means perfect it resembled the writing of Georgian literature. I enjoyed reading about so often overlooked Bennet sister and of course about the characters that I already loved. It wasn't perfect I wasn't exactly happy about everything but among myriads of terrible Jane Austen sequels this one was actually enjyable and somewhat plausible as to what could've happened next. So I advice it to any Austen lovers and also it is a good standalone coming of age novel.
**I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review***
This book was a very pleasant surprise for me! I expected to read one of the usual attempts to write a sequel to Pride and Prejudice, but this exceed my expectations. I enjoyed the fact that the author chose to focus on a character whom I feel is often overlooked when it comes to Austen sequels.

That is not to say that the novel was perfect, I felt at times that some of the character development was a bit forced and out of touch with what I had always envisioned those characters to behave like. Some changes though were for the better, and a I can say, without trying to spoil the story, that any Austen fan will enjoy this book!