Ruthless Magic

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Jun 2018

WOW!! Just wow!.
I've been in a book slump for over a month and Ruthless Magic broke that streak, It's just that undeniable. From the beginning, it drew me in and never let go.
Rocío Lopez is a girl with powerful magic honed by years of practice and precision. To earn a place in Society, magical novices are tested yearly by the North American Confederation of Mages (Confed) at Sixteen. Those Chosen get to go to the College of the North American Confederation of Mages, to further advance their magic and get their placement in Society. Those not chosen either get their magic Dampered (Sort of like super reduced but not totally obliterated) or go through awful though Exams to become Champions that'll advance to the College. These Exams are so tough candidates die and those who fail get their magic Burned out (Totally obliterated).
Rocío might have great magic but her family is of a low standing so the odds are stacked against her, so despite her power and adherence to their rules, the Confed rejects her. Determined to not allow them to snuff out what makes her who she is, Rocío decides to go through the Exams no matter the outcome determined to survive. Even though three years earlier her older brother Javier died through those deadly exams.
Finnegan Lockwood is from a Noble family with Ties to the Inner Circle which rules the Confed. He's always been considered a disappointment to the family name due to his low affinity to magic. He does get Chosen but due to his family standing rather than his own merits, when his best friend Prisha who's more formidable than him gets rejected, Finn makes a bold and hasty decision to declare for the Exams and reject the Choosing to this family's dismay.
The best way to describe this book is definitely the magic of Harry Potter meets the ferocity of Hunger Games, the writing, the pacing, the magic, the characters, the romance, it's all superb.
Fans of YA will happily devour this, I can guarantee that.
The trials they go through is genius, original, thrilling, dangerous, deadly and exhilarating. I won't spoil if but it kept me on the edge of my seat.
There were many twist and turns I certainly loved. The form of magic is also very unique and I find the lyrical/musical aspect quite intriguing.
The writing is so lush I devoured it in a day.
The romance between Rocío and Finn is so hot! They're two people who complete each other so well and I loved getting to know them. The secondary characters are also very well crafted, the well rounded cast also helped a lot.
I really commend Megan Crewe for creating a masterpiece that I love to pieces.
The ending is great! Though sort of in a way that'll leave you needy for what's next, I really like how everything's tying together.
I happily recommend Ruthless Magic if you're looking for the next great read.

P.S: Kudos to the excellent use of Spanish and Latin!!
It’s always hard when a book is neither good or bad, instead sort of stuck in this weird limbo of just alright enough to get through it but nothing you’ll remember.

“Ruthless Magic” tells the story of Finn, a boy born with the privilege of an old magic family who unfortunately doesn’t have the strongest talent to make it into college without the help of his family connections and Rocío, a young woman who uses anything she can to amplify her skills and work her magic to the best of her ability despite her less than ideal standing in society. When she is passed over for a spot in college she accepts the challenge of the infamous Exam in the hopes of being named Champion and keeping her magic, but the tests are far from easy and with the help of unlikely allies who have everything to lose they uncover sometimes the punishment for not accepting the judgement from authority is death itself.

So here’s the thing this book plays a bit to the larger more mundane problem of the rich white boy who gets whatever they want thanks to who they know and not what the offer over the people who aren’t as “desirable” in this case lgbtq and people of color who have to work twice as hard to make it half as far and even then that’s not always enough. Though there’s a magical element at work it’s easy to see this thread of symbolism play itself out in the larger plot along with a government system who keeps people in check and preserves their own power by making those who speak out against them or fit into the above categories obsolete by taking their magic away or punishing them during the tests with violence and even death.

Now on to the other parts of the novel, it follows a ‘Hunger Games’ type format where all these kids are faced with impossible tasks and put against one another in a fight to the death in an arena until there is a final victor where alliances and romances come into play to both help and hinder the overall goal of the Exam’s creators until the threat of public backlash causes them to end it which was a little too similar for me.

This book isn’t bad and if you liked Suzanne Collin’s trilogy and want a bit of social commentary that doesn’t really address anything full on, at least yet it sets itself up for more of that at the conclusion of this piece, than this book might work for you but if not you’re not really missing out on anything special.

**special thanks to the publishers and netgalley for providing an arc in exchange for a fair and honest review**