Cover Image: The Clockmaker's Daughter

The Clockmaker's Daughter

I absolutely adore Kate Morton and all her books! This was no different, as I was delightfully immersed in this dual time story. Heart-breaking, romantic, and exquisitely written, this should be a keeper on everyone's shelf.
Keep reading! While it starts off a bit slow and confusing, as you read on you will discover how it all intertwines together. It is full of twists, intrigue and mystery. The Clockmaker's Daughter is one you may want to read and then re-read to fully grasp the depth of the storyline.
I loved everything about this book! The Victorian London setting was so atmospheric and the writing drew me in from page one.
This was my first Kate Morton book and I was blown away! I particularly love the way Morton weaves together different characters' stories and differing times of the past. This is one of the best books I've ever read!
In true Morton fashion this story is weaved with a delicate hand to bring us through an emotional ride as we navigate a beautiful world she builds.

That being said, the pacing was off for me. I struggled through this one - and it took me ages to finish. I usually soar through her books so to say I was disappointed is an understatement. The idea was there but something didn't draw me in. I wanted so badly to love this one as I do her others. I dreaded even submitting this and perhaps it is way too late but I was ready to write it nonetheless.

Thank you for providing an early copy to review.
This cover is gorgeous and the story sounded super intriguing. This was my first taste of Kate Morton. This was an enjoyable story but not a favorite of mine. I feel like it started out pretty slow and didn't pick up that much. But, I still enjoyed the story. I know this is not her best work. So, I'm excited to read more by her and compare.
I have read several of Kate Morton's books.  She is one of the most skilled writers of fiction today, in my opinion.  Just like the others, The Clockmaker's Daughter journeys into the reader's heart with unforgettable characters, compelling drama, and complex relationships.  Morton's writing style grabs the reader from the first page, and does not let her go until the last page has been turned.  Her stories always stay with me, and I find myself thinking about the characters and what they may be doing, temporarily forgetting they are all fiction!  Don't miss this latest tale of Kate Morton's....she will leave you satisfied and speechless.
As much as I've loved Kate Morton's other books, I could not finish this book. I tried reading it, I tried the audiobook, but no. I was disappointed. I will try her next book because the previous ones were so great, but this one just seemed too long and slightly confusing.
To think that I almost abandoned this book and ended up LOVING it. Once I got past the first couple chapters, the story flowed really well. Sometimes it was hard to keep everyone straight. But I loved this meandering story so much.
Unfortunately I didn't finish this Kate Morton tale. It didn't draw me in like her previous books have, but I'm eager to give it another go in the future! The writing was beautiful--I would expect nothing less--but the story itself seemed to lack some of the urgency of her previous work.
How was this the first Kate Morton book I've read?! I've repeatedly heard praises for her work but never picked up one of her books. The Clockmaker's Daughter was a great introduction into her works. It is the perfect blend of historical fiction and mystery. While it did get a little long for me (it comes in at around 500 pages for the Kindle) it is a filled with great descriptions and dialogue. Recommend for any historical fiction fan.
Another hit by Kate Morton, She knows how to weave a story with mystery and intrigue. Her characters are believable and you find yourself rooting for them all
Kate writes beautiful stories, and this one is no different. I'm usually iffy on dual timelines because I usually prefer one over the other and become bored while reading the lesser of the two. I was equally invested in both, though, and that's always surprising.
The history of a house and its inhabitants are tied together across the generations in unexpected ways. Told in part by the resident spirit will the inhabitants learn the truth?
I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
A young archivist, Elodie Winslow, finds a leather satchel with a woman's photograph and an artist's sketchbook inside. In the late 19th century, Lucy Radcliffe opens a school for girls. In the 20s, returning soldier Leonard Gilbert is writing his dissertation on Lucy's dead brother, Edward. In the 40s, war widow Juliet seeks a safe place for her and her three children, including a young Tip. Connecting them all across time is Birchwood Manor and Birdy Bell.
I have devoured all of Kate Morton's books and if work and the need to sleep hadn't held me up, I would have finished The Clockmaker's Daughter in one sitting. I love books that span multiple times and Morton has a magical ability to weave different people and times into one lovely, atmospheric, seamless story.
A gripping time-bending mystery, starting with a little girl left on the Victorian streets of London, leading to a murder in the 1860s in a manor house perched on the Upper Thames, and ending with secrets revealed a century later. An atmospheric literary puzzle to happily unravel on a rainy day. Named October 2018 LibraryReads and Indie Next selections. 5/5

Pub Date 09 Oct 2018.

Thanks to the author, Atria Books and NetGalley for the review copy. Opinions are mine.

#TheClockmakersDaughter #NetGalley
This was my first Kate Morton book and I was entranced from the first chapter. Of course, how could an intricate, complicated tale told by a ghost and set in a centuries-old house in the English Cotswolds fail to captivate me?

The story weaves between several time periods from the mid-1800s to the present day, and includes many different characters-all of whom are connected in some way to this house with the ghost. There is a murder, there is a jewel theft, and a disappearance.

The atmospheric quality of the house is like a golden, summer afternoon. It feels languid and magical and dreamlike. You will be introduced to painters, models, photographers, street urchins who pickpocket for a living, historians, teachers, school girls, and more.

The writing is gorgeous--lyrical and unusual--and you will want to drink in every phrase.
If there was anything that I would say gave it a touch of imperfection, it would have to be the way she concluded the tale. Don't worry--you will find out how the ghost died, but there were facts that seemed too vague. The last few days when the artists were at the house seem a bit shrouded in mystery, but not so much that I couldn't enjoy the story overall. You will have to decide for yourself.

I definitely recommend The Clockmaker's Daughter and will be reading more of Kate Morton's books!
I tried really hard, but I could not get into this book. It seems like it wanted to be "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt, but didn't fully capture the emotion of that story. It was also a slow burn, but I'm sure that others will enjoy this book more.
The Clockmaker's Daughter is not an easy book to review. At first, I was completely confused by what kind of story it was and where it was going. It was a slow read with seemingly disparate storylines that I had to pay close attention to. Then, as I watched the storylines twist and turn and meld together, I was blown away. This is one of those slow reads that completely pay off in the end. As my first Kate Morton book, I was delighted by the beautiful writing. This is one of those books I want and need to reread several times in order to fully appreciate the story. I am looking forward to reading Morton's other works.
This book was downright amazing. Told over the span of multiple generations, it all comes down to one name: Birdie Bell. The book starts out with a group of artists who spend the summer at Birchwood Manor, hoping to be inspired. But at the end of the summer, one person is dead, one is missing and one's life is in ruins.

Then over a hundred and fifty years later, Elodie Windslow discovers an old leather bag with some unknown treasures inside. As she tries to figure out what they are and what they have to do with each other and possibly with her, you'll be on an adventure of a lifetime. This book is so fun, full of intrigue and mystery, and will keep you on the edge of your seat.