Cover Image: The Dead Still Here

The Dead Still Here

Unfortunately, I have not been able to relate with book. This does not mean in any way that the writing is bad or reflect on the author's style and the content. Thank you!
I wasn’t a fan of the writing. Everything dropped in felt forced, and it didn’t feel like it happened organically.
Thank you NetGalley for this advance copy. Laura Valeri has given us a short story collection with something for everyone.  Her poignant stories  open the door on complex and interesting characters. From the tragic to the humorous, she paces the stories so that we get a palate cleanser in between. Many of these stories are ripe to be expanded into a longer format. Read it. You'll like it.
I really enjoyed the vast majority of these stories. It was interesting, because some of them were so poignant that they almost hurt me to read, while there were others I didn’t connect with at all. They were all well written and overall I recommend this collection.
This book was well written and very fun to read. The characters were great and I enjoyed the world building. The author does a great job at introducing the characters and moving the plot along. There were a few things that I didn't like, but it wasn't enough to really sway me one way or the other. It's definitely a story that I can get lost in and both feel for the characters. It is definitely a go-to novel that I highly recommend to anyone who loves a great read. Definitely a highly recommended read that I think everyone will enjoy.
This calculated and gorgeous collection proves that Laura Valeri knows how to land a literary punch. Like a boxer, she can calculate distance and trajectory, balance power and precision, and at the first letting down of the guard, pow. Right in the kisser. There is beauty in the violence, sure, maybe even redemption, but each narrative plays by its own relentless rules. Sometimes surreal, always visceral, and never commonplace, Valeri’s stories pack a wallop.