Knot My Sister's Keeper

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 03 Aug 2018

Knot My Sister’s Keeper is the sixth book in Mary Marks Quilting Mystery series.  This book is well plotted and has well-developed characters.  Ms. Marks’ witty and humorous writing style flows smoothly and the book is an easy read.  The author provides enough background information that this book can be read as a standalone.  There are lots of twists and turns and enough suspects to keep the reader engaged.  The final reveal surprised me.  I recommend this book to readers who enjoy cozy mysteries.

Martha Rose, Lucy Mondello, Birdie Watson, and Jazz Fletcher-Watson are friends who get together once a week to quilt together, but Birdie is on her honeymoon, so she isn’t there when Martha receives an unexpected package.  Unknown to Martha, her daughter, Quincy, submitted a DNA sample to an ancestry firm and after receiving the results, she ordered another kit for her mother.  When Martha sends hers in and receives the results, she learns she has a younger half-sister, Giselle Cole, who lives nearby.  She soon discovers that her father, who abandoned her mother when he learned she was pregnant, is Jacob Quinn Maguire, talented artist, and that Giselle knew him as a devoted husband and father, until he mysteriously disappeared when she was twelve years old.  Martha had always been told he died in a train accident, but a couple of years ago, her uncle, Isaac Harris, told her that wasn’t true.  Giselle showed Martha three of their father’s portraits and Martha recognized the subject as her mother, painted years after he abandoned them.  Martha Rose is engaged to Yossi Levy, a/k/a the Crusher, who is an undercover agent for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, who offers to try to get a copy of the missing persons file related to her father’s disappearance.  A lot of time has passed and many of the players are deceased or their memories faded, but the determined half-sisters set out to find out what happened to their father who has been missing for over thirty years.  Both Martha and Giselle uncover lots of unsettling things about their father.  Martha isn’t happy that Quincy is dating LAPD Detective Noah Kaplan, and is worried about the “big” announcement they have to make.

I received an Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and voluntarily reviewed it.
I have read all of Mary Marks books . I couldn't put this one down  I found this one the most interesting having found out about Martha 's father and how he disappeared  30 years ago re opening up a cold case  .A few twists and surprises really enjoyable to read . Love to read about quilting.
Look forward to Mary's next book .
A rare 5 star review from me.  I have read all the books in this series and reviewed most if not all.  Not sure if I've given another a 5 star, but I give one to Knot because I didn't want to put the book down and go to bed.

The story line is really unique and complicated.  I like how Martha and Giselle maturely handle the shocking news and each other.  The way the author even weaves in quilting as part of the story is realistic and well done.  You also really couldn't see where the story was going to take you next.

For fans of the secondary characters:  Birdy is absent in this one.  Lucy and Jazz pop up and help out, but have minimal roles as does Crusher.

I received my copy from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.
Martha Rose engaged to Yossi Levy aka the Crusher. Her daughter is curious about her ancestors and submits her DNA to an ancestry firm. Martha sent her DNA and is very to find she has a half-sister, Giselle. Her father disappeared when Gisele was 8 years. The sisters set out to find out what happened to their Father. The twist and turns of the book will have enthralled until you finished the book. What do the sisters find about their Father? Is he Alive or was he MURDER? The ending will surprise. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this book and series.I

Disclosure: Many thanks to Kensington Books for a review copy. The opinions expressed are my own.
This series gets better and better.   I love an over 50 female protagonist.   Within the mystery the author always gives great history and information.  Ms. Marks gives us a new character who I adore.  The dialog is funny, and smart.  More please 😊
With all the new DNA tech out there, this book is right on trend with what could happen with results, very interesting plot and I enjoyed the various facts sprinkled into the story. Well done.
Mary Marks scores another winner!
Martha Rose has met her match in Giselle Cole, a half sister she never knew existed.  Their bullying and tricks lead to solving a thirty-two year old missing person case and discovering another half-sibling.
The Tuesday Quilters help Martha and Giselle with a quilt top that holds secrets that lead them to discovering the father both girls were abandoned by.
The plot was fun and full of interesting facts about quilting and living the Jewish faith life.
I definitely look forward to Martha's next adventures with her family and friends, Crusher aka Yossi Levy, Quincy Rose, Det. Noah Kaplan, Lucy & Ray Mondello, and Jazz Fletcher.
I have read every book in this series but I have to say this one is my favorite so far.
The technology, the family dynamics and last but not least the mystery surrounding Martha's dads death kept me turning the pages.
An EXCELLENT installment to an already wonderful series.
A fun cozy mystery with a well developed plot, down to earth characters and a story involving the new DNA technology that has recently become popular.  Martha Rose receives a  DNA testing kit as a gift from her daughter, thinking that it might lead to information about the father she never knew.  But the test reveals more than she could have imagined - a half sister, Giselle Cole.  Their shared father disappeared from Giselle's life when she was 12 and the two women band together to unravel the mystery that was their father's life, finding some surprising and unpalatable things along the way.  I was riveted to this story from the very beginning and love the characters of Martha and Giselle and how, despite their different circumstances, they truly become sisters.  I highly recommend this book.