Her One Mistake

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 08 Jan 2019

I have not finished reading this book yet. That whole life thing gets busy! However I have truly be enjoying this book and have a hard time putting it down.  I could not imagine the heart ache of losing one of my friends children..  I will update on goodreads when I finish!
A parents worst nightmare as your only child goes missing and a best friends worst heartache!
A fun day out turns into heartbreak as Charlotte has no idea what happened to Harriet's daughter Alice.
One minute Charlotte's kids and Alice requested to go on the bounce ride at Jungle Run and the next they turned the corner and she never came back.
Charlotte's husband is separated while Harriet's husband Brian is barely hanging on.
A prior case with a young boy gone missing is reignited by the Alice case.
Could there be a connection?
Another boy Jack was lost but luckily found when Charlotte had turned away and he walked down to the corner store and found by a bystander.
Brian is not who you might come to love as he's abusive but not per say in the physical sense.
"He needed me to believe without him I wouldn't survive."
This statement alone for those of us who lived with abuse is so bone chilling it'll make you shake in your boots. The accuracy with which Heidi Perks writes will astound you.
"I have no scars to show them." "No bruises." "I've no way of proving he's abusing me."
Anyone who has had to go under the microscope of credibility in dealing with toxicity knows how mind altering this state can become.
Trapped between two lives as ultimately only one can proceed.
Family isolation is often common in abuse cases but in this situation the father is absent from Charlotte's life for the past 34 yrs until just recently in the last 6 months has he begun to come around.
All these years everyone assumed the worst of her father and hoped for the best.
Shocker upon shocker this story builds up to the point you know the explosion is coming.
"He chipped away at me until I doubted my own sanity."
"Life was coming full circle."
But I can swim and nobody knows this truth...
Well I have but one question for the readers says the author,"How can I live with myself if I don't tell the truth." "How can you live with yourself if you do?"
"What he did was subtle." "Brian Hodder was a clever, manipulative, patient man." He did it in a way nobody would ever notice."
So you still don't believe her do YOU?
"I'm not sure I believe her version of what happened."
So there's that and then some as she's carrying more than just her feelings ....
In the end, Brian gave her a gift in disguise as we abuse survivors know all too well as absence is a true blessing.
"He gave her all she ever wanted. Freedom."
Amen to that my friends. Amen!!
A must read for any avid thriller fan!
Heidi Perks you are amazing.
Thank you to Heidi , her publisher, NetGalley, and Aldiko for this ARC in exchange for this honest review.
It all started at the school fair...
Ask a mother- What would you do if you lost your friends child?

Then,
a single mother of 3 takes her friends child for a day of fun
and to give her friend a break, While kids are playing she looks at phone for a quick minute...then---
gone ---nowhere to be found.

Now,
13 days later ...
twists and turns arise
One is aching over loss of child - one is aching over a little mistake/her attention to social media for "1 min"
tick tock
tick tock

I become so invested in this book that I ignored everything around me and could not put it down.

I highly recommend!!
This was a very quick and suspenseful story about a four year old girl who goes missing at a school fair with a twist I didn't see coming.
I received an arc copy of this book from Net Galley in exchange for my honest opinion of it. This book was amazing and I could not put it down. Harriet and Charlotte are best friends. Harriet has never left her four year old daughter, Alice, with anyone. She goes to a class and leaves her with Charlotte who takes Alice and her own children to a school event. All of the kids go on a ride and Alice does not come back with them and so begins the search of Alice.
Her One Mistake by Heidi Perks takes the reader on a thrilling ride and has a killer twist I didn't see coming. As books often do, it fizzles out in the last few pages with an unsatisfying ending, but I did quite enjoy getting to that point.

Harriet is an overprotective parent who would never dream of leaving her little girl, Alice, with any babysitter. Her best friend, Charlotte, persuades Harriet to let her take care of her for a few hours so Harriet can take a bookkeeping class. In Charlotte's care, Alice disappears into thin air. While Harriet, her husband, and the police desperately search for the four-year-old, Charlotte cannot let her guilt be eased, wracking her brain for where she went so terribly wrong.

The reader will never see coming what really happened to Alice; the remainder of the book follows the repercussions of the reveal. The ending of Her One Mistake did not provide the closure I was hoping for and felt rushed, but with Perks's exciting writing, you can almost forgive her for it.

MY RATING - 3.5
Four-year-old Alice goes missing at the school fair.  Mom Harriet's best friend, Charlotte was supposed to be watching her but was momentarily distracted when the kids ran around the back of the ride to climb on. It's every mother's worst nightmare and when days go by with no word, both Harriet and Charlotte are devastated. Harriet's husband thinks she's confused and worries that she isn't thinking clearly because of the trauma. But what secrets lie beneath the surface of this marriage? And what will happen to the friendship between Charlotte and Harriet? And maybe, just maybe there is more than one mistake being made. This is a great thriller that you may need to read in one sitting!
Her One Mistake was an  easy read. It was well written, very suspenseful and kept me reading well into the night . I will look forward to reading more by Heidi perks as I enjoyed this book.
What lengths would you go to in order to save yourself and your child? This is definitely one to read. Really enjoyed this one! I was hooked from the beginning.

Thank you #netgalley and #gallerythreshold for the eARC.
Her One Mistake is about Charlotte who is watching Harriet’s 4 year old daughter at the school fair with Charlotte’s three children.  While at the fair Harriet’s daughter Alice disappears. Both woman are devastated.  But all isn’t want it seems  Grest suspenseful book. .
Her One Mistake is a story about a woman who will go to any length to get away from her abusive husband.
Unknown to her good friend, she uses her to implement her plan.

Her One Mistake was a good story however I thought the ending was a bit rushed. I felt there were certain things missing that would have really pulled the story together better.  I will read more by Heidi Perks because the story was good even though I only gave it 3***.
Her One Mistake, was the first book that I have read by author Heidi Perks. It was raw, real and it grabbed me from the start!

This was a great thriller/suspense, with a storyline that had me on the edge of my seat throughout most of the book. I can't wait for it to release so I can recommend it to our followers!
A friendship is destroyed when a woman loses track of her own children and the only child of her best friend. Charlotte’s children are found safe and sound, but Harriet’s daughter is not. Harriet doesn’t trust anyone, the police, her husband and least of all, her friend. Where is Alice? And does Charlotte have the answers?