Cover Image: Refreshing Reads Summer Excerpt Sampler

Refreshing Reads Summer Excerpt Sampler

The excerpts provided in this sampler intrigue me as a reader. I'll be checking out the full novels and adding them to my TBR.
Even though this sampler was put out in 2018, I had never read or even heard of most of these books. I love these samplers because I can read little bits of a lot of books and decide which ones I want to add to my TBR list.
This excerpt is so perfect. It left me at a satisfying thirst to buy the book and finish it as soon as possible.
Thank you NetGalley and Penguin Random House for the chance to read these excerpts!

I love the idea of a collection of lighter reads for the summer -- my experience in reading various sampler collections has been that many of them are either too self-serious and literary, or too dark and terrifying.

Our first sample, THE HIGH SEASON by Judy Blundell, seems very much like a classic beach read. The protagonist family literally owns a house on the beach, and rents it out to wealthy people over the summer in order to afford living in it the rest of the year. This arrangement makes sense to me but creates resentment in the heroine Ruthie's daughter Jem and ex-husband Mike. I'm not exactly sure how this book will play out but I'm sure there will be soul searching about what family means and how to live a meaningful life and whether it's better to live in a fancy house for 9 months each year or a moderate house all year round.

THE GLITCH by Elisabeth Cohen got on my nerves, as the opening scene is two Very Busy and Important People (a stockbroker and a Silicon Valley executive, I think) being very busy and important on phone calls, and losing their 4-year-old daughter. This sounds like it will be a satire of unpleasant people, and my preferred approach is just to not read about unpleasant people.

A PLACE FOR US by Fatima Farheen Mirza was the book I'm most excited about, though I was a little irritated at the tagline at the beginning which was basically like, "for fans of these other nonwhite authors who don't write about the US!" [Now that I've looked at the cover copy and seen that this is set in California I'm even more annoyed at the tagline "for fans of authors who bring the faraway close."] The sketches of the family dynamics at this big wedding are intriguing, and the little details sprinkled in--a navy sari, a table with glasses of mango juice--conjure up a lavish event.

I'm leery of GHOSTED by Rosie Walsh simply because it starts out with this perfect, sudden, overwhelming love which can only mean that separation will ensue (the title provides a hint, too). I much prefer a structure of the classic genre romance, where the relationship between two people IS the main conflict rather than the inciting incident.

BABY'S FIRST FELONY by John Straley is quirky but intriguing. The criminal defense side of the justice system is an interesting one, relevant to many social justice conversations today, and I will read this with a cautious eye toward whether the tone toward convicted people is sympathetic or judgmental.

Ultimately I can see where each of these are considered "lighter" reads than typical literary fare, even if not all of them worked for me. I look forward to checking out A PLACE FOR US and BABY'S FIRST FELONY, though!
Oh how I love these sampler collections! They always leave me impatiently awaiting the release dates for the multiple new additions to my TBR!

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for giving me a free digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
5 stars.

This sampler collection is the perfect mix of all things summer. Seeing as the warmer months are right around the corner, I will definitely be picking up the books featured in this collection.
I received a complimentary review copy of the Refreshing Reads Summer Excerpt Sampler (Summer 2018) from NetGalley.

This sampler includes extended previews of 5 novels. I really enjoyed being able to preview enough of the book to know whether I'd be interested enough to read the whole thing. Each excerpt starts with a page showing the book cover, publication date, plot description, titles of some similar-interest books to give readers some tips on whether they'd enjoy this book, and a quote from a professional review.
This was an unusual thing to read.  As for reviewing it, it covers excerpts from 5 books.  Some of the excerpts were not interesting at all and I really only found 1 book worth seeking out.  So I am not reviewing the excerpts in themselves.  I am reviewing the concept.  This was a good idea as it gave me 5 books to consider without spending too much time on each.
"Quench your Literary Thirst": I love that title for a summer sampler. I already recognize three titles that were on my radar (Ghosted, A Place for Us, High Season) and I am looking forward to discovering the other two!
Thank you for this sampler! Many of these books look interesting and I've put several of these novels on my tbr/interest list.
I appreciate the opportunity to read excerpts from popular, cutting edge authors to allow me to familiarize myself with them and their work in a short period of time.
This sampler is a year old, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a few gems worth mining. What's great is the books I like here are already out so I don't have to wait to finish them.
Thanks so much for this sampler I didn't realize this was from 2018 but I found a very interesting book that I must have overlooked last summer. I own one and I have read Ghosted and liked it. A Place For Us and The High Season I will be looking for when I visit the bookstore

Thanks again for this sampler
I loved the short samples of these summer reads!  They really whet my appetite to read all of them!! The cover was enticing and made the summer days seem not so far away.
wasn't that great book. not even worth 100 characters. However. i read it I gave it that much. I don'tt know what to say though. I cannot write something negativity about so many books.
I enjoyed this sampler of general fiction, thrillers, and mystery books excerpts.  It provided a good look at some of the publications for summer 2018.  My only regret is that I did not see this sooner.

I have added a few to my TBR pile.  Thank-you Penguin Random House for offering this book to entice us.
Not my cup of tea, so didn't finish it and did read enough to review it! So I won't be reviewing this... so trying to get 100 characters in this so I can go to something I will review! Jesus not enough characters yet... Will it end urgh! This is what happens to me when I'm trying to get enough to send it!
Great sampler! Sold me on a couple that I had been holding off on my TBR and now I cant wait to get started!
Thank you Penguin Random House for providing me with a Summer Reading List!  This intriguing sampler of reads were all exciting and I enjoyed reading the excerpts from each of the books.  I have purchased three of the five so far and plan to purchase the other two in coming weeks.  They were all great reads with exciting premises' that I just MUST finish.  I NEED to know what happens next.

I received an advanced review copy (ARC) of this book from the publisher through NetGalley for my honest review. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
An exciting teaser tray of recent releases, from contemporary family dramas to thrilling mystery series. Followers of Sarah Jessica Parker's book club will relish the opportunity to preview Fatima Farheen Mirza's "A Place for Us: A Novel". Mirza weaves a nuanced, deeply-felt story of an Indian-American family. "Ghosted" by Rosie Walsh explores the depths of emotional connections and creates a sense of doubt about how well people really know each other or themselves. John Staley's first Cecil Younger novel in 17 years pairs criminal defense investigator with unlikely allies when he finds himself on the wrong end of the law.  "The High Season" is a great vacation selection for readers looking for an affirming, engaging story. Ruthie Beamish discovers a new lease on life through connections made at her last refuge, the family beach house in Long Island. "The Glitch" from Elisabeth Cohen humorously derails business dynamo Shelley Stone when confronted with a possible "glitch in the matrix" (so to speak), in the form of her doppelganger.