The Secret

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 07 Aug 2018

KL Slater is one of my favorite authors, so I’m not sure why it took me so long to read this book. Secrets lead to lies, lies lead to secrets, and it all leads to trouble. This was the story of sisters Louise and Alice. Louise is the responsible sister a working single mother while Alice stays home struggling with her anxiety. Louise calls upon Alice to take care of her eight-year-old son Archie. It doesn’t take long before Alice figures out that Archie has a secret. Archie has witnessed something that he should not have, something that can lead to some sinister troubles. What follows is an engaging pulse pounding story filled with twists and turns and secrets you would never guess. A tense and riveting story with a satisfying twisted ending.
Thank you Net Galley and Bookouture for an early copy of The Secret. It was good, kept me wanting to know what was happening next. The end was shocking.
Another great novel from KL Slater! With each one I read by this author I’m pulled into a plot that doesn’t let you go. I’ve been reading this book in every spare minute, being pulled in several directions of suspicion. An amazing novel with a plot that had many twists.
This was an excellent book by K L Slater.

it went into the lives of a dysfunctional family and making a little boy, Archie, swear that he would keep things a secret.

We are not sure what is to be kept a secret as the reader and the tail unravels, leaving us with many questions

I thought the twist was great and I really enjoyed this book!
Louise and Alice are sisters with an extreme case of sibling rivalry after being raised in an abusive house hold. They grew up to be very different women. Alice hates leaving her house and Louise is drawn to relationships with abusive men. Archie is Louise’s son who tells his Aunt Alice that he has to keep secrets. The book gives a back story to both of the sisters and how they ended up where they are in life now. The book claims to be a psychological thriller, but it fell short. Th book felt longer than it needed to be.
All books by this author are brilliant. Always easy to follow with a twist at the ending. I look forward to her next.
This book took me forever to read.  There was too much back & forth & point of views.  I had a hard time remembering what happened before I put the book down & had to go back to refresh myself.
On the other hand, I did finish the book, so that's something.
This was fantastic.  Told from 2 perspectives each quite blinkered to the others views, with a mystery intertwining the 2.
I don't mind books that flip back and forth in timelines, but this one did not work for me.  Perhaps there were too many timelines from too many points of view as it came across as disjointed.  The pacing didn't work for me and I loathe a rushed ending.
I was lucky enough to receive this book from netgalley wow I love k.l Slater she is a fantastic writer and I've read all her other books so when I got this one I could not wait to get stuck in and omg what can I say this book was fantastic  and one of my favourite  books  I've read this year so far
Why does Karin Slater always write the best books?
She outdid her self with this one.  I have always loved her style of writing and the way she developes here characters!
was a gripping thriller that took you to every aspect of trying to figure out what was really going on  and what was going to happen next! This was such an amazing book and I can’t wait to see what else is released from this author!
A gripping thriller that shows that the secrets and jealousies that may lie within a family may cause damage.  This is a story of two sisters. Alice and Louise, neither really likable but are completely different people.  Full of realistic tension between the sisters.
The Secret is an addictive ‘Domestic Noir’ style psychological thriller that delves into the toxic relationship between two sisters. Louise is a married career woman with an eight-year-old son, Archie. Alice is out of work and childless; she also suffers with ME and anxiety, and is scared to leave her home.

The story starts with a dual prologue: then and now. This is in first-person and from Archie’s perspective. What happened in the past, was witnessed by Archie, and it is this secret that fuels the narrative and keeps the pages turning.

Most of the story is narrated in first-person from Alice’s perspective, with some narration in third-person from Louise’s perspective. This dual narration adds to the ‘who’s telling the truth?’ element and allows a degree of empathy for Louise; although to be honest, she isn’t nice at all. Alice’s character is in first-person and this works really well, leaving the reader with no uncertain terms as to who the protagonist is. Alice suffers with ME and anxiety; I could feel the exhaustion and pain radiating throughout her body. Readers will be screaming at Alice and telling her to say ‘no’ to the demands of her bossy and overbearing sister. We learn early on that Alice’s health issues are linked to a previous relationship. I won’t say why this is as I don’t want to spoil things, but when she sees a stranger who looks similar to her ex, you start to question Alice’s sanity.

Alice’s nephew, Archie, is a wonderful character and really brings the story to life. Dealt a raw deal in life, with a mother and step-father who both put themselves and their own careers before their child, Archie finds solace in spending time with his Auntie Alice. This isn’t an easy relationship at first. Alice barely has enough energy to look after herself let alone stepping in to care for her sister’s child. But Louise is controlling and uses emotional blackmail, forcing Alice to agree to look after Archie. According to Louise, Archie has ADHD but when Alice starts to get to know him, and gives him the time and attention that is lacking at home, the pair bring out the best in each other, and Alice starts to questions whether this is true.  Alice has had a horrendous past, and her health is at a point where it looks it is on a downward spiral with no way out. But whilst helping Archie, Alice unwittingly starts to turn a corner and she starts to integrate with the outside world.

Alice also starts to get to know one of her neighbours, Jenny. Jenny also has her own set of problems. But somebody doesn’t like Alice helping Jenny – or is it Archie they don’t like her helping? And just who is that guy who waves to Alice each morning from the tram, that reminds Alice of her ex?

True to its genre, the story is full of red-herrings. And just when you think you know what ‘The Secret’ is, think again! There’s yet another twist!

I really enjoyed reading this book. The things I will take away from this as a New Writer, are pacing of the narrative and how to drop seemingly inconsequential hints into the plot that only make sense once the twist is revealed.
So this book was good, in parts amazing and other parts lacking. Mostly the former. It was fast paced, full of shock factors and kept me guessing /speculating to myself. The ending seemed rushed and that saddens me as overall it was a really good book
K.L.Slater is one of those authors that, for me, when you pick up one of their books you know you're in for a good read. However, when I started reading this I thought this might be one that I wasn't going to connect with. But either it was me being distracted by Christmas or perhaps this isn't as an instant grab as others have been. I really don't know but I have to mention it as if it is the latter and you happened to be a first time reader (fool, where have you been??) then stick to it. Within chapters, you will be firmly be held in the cunning grasp of Ms Slater. I'm sure there must be a law about been held hostage by authors, and if not there should be and surely then she would be guilty as charged! Whilst I should have been wrapping, cooking, lighting candles and been all Deliah like instead, I was reading The Secret. I'm not sure if I should be grateful or cross. Either way please know you're in for a fantastic read.
Love this author's books! Two sisters live different lives, Louise works hard while bringing up her son Archie while Alice is too scared to leave the house. They should be close after losing their mother but they are so different. Alice looks after Archie for Louise while her husband is also working away, when she thinks that he is being abused by Louise she turns to him for help. A book with lots of twists and turns.
Full review to come.
I deeply apologize, but life is a handful lately and I'm using all my free time to read, not review. I hope everybody understands.
K.L. Slater has a way about her writing that just pulls me right in and all I want to do is read straight through to the end. The Secret was no different. If I didn't have to go about my normal every day life, I would have stayed in my comfy reading spot and finished this book faster.

Alice and Louise are sister who as children were close but as adults they could not be more different. They both are struggling in their own ways but neither seems to share their struggles with the other. Louise hides behind her perfect hair and her stylish clothes. While Alice is filled with  immense anxiety and grief over the loss of a former love.

Alice's 8 year old nephew, Archie, has a secret. One that could turn his family's world upside down if revealed.

I became so invested in the different characters of this story. Alice, in particular, was someone I felt deeply for. Having faced a number of upsetting situations which lead to her slowly secluding herself but she starts to pull herself out of seclusion for her nephew and a mystery man on the daily tram.

There were a few twists that I did not see coming and that made enjoy this book even more. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a good thriller to read.
Wow, what an amazing book.  I started and finished the book in one sitting, I just couldn't wait to see what Archie's secret was.  It was well written, and worth the time and effort!