Cover Image: The Thing About Clare

The Thing About Clare

I'm a big fan of Imogen Clark, as her novels are always engaging and comes with label-fuls of heart. Highly recommend for anyone who wants an enveloping read.
The Thing About Clare is an intriguing story of familial relationships and long buried secrets. This was my first book by Imogen Clark but not my last.
The Thing About Clare
by Imogen Clark
Lake Union Books

As others have stated the author does a cracking great job of building her caracters. Unfortunately the story dragged on a bit. She has the caracters down pat it's cutting out all the filler. This author is worth checking out a diffrent book.

Thank You to Netgalley & Lake Union Publishing for a ARC of in exchange for my honest opinion.
Beverly / ladyedan
Please accept my apology my computer was down for a some time.
This was an enjoyable read, though predictable in parts. Predictable isn’t always bad, and I enjoyed the dynamics between the family members.
Thanks to NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Fiction
Adult
All families have secrets, but some secrets can be devastating. Should they stay buried? When mother Dorothy passes away, the four Bliss siblings – sensible Miriam, wild and unpredictable Clare, favourite child Anna, and adored little brother Sebastian – gather at the funeral, where we learn Anna has, in response to Dorothy’s dying plea, retrieved her will and an accompanying letter. But she has not destroyed them as her mother asked. Anna eventually discovers why her mother was so desperate to bury the secret, and now carries the burden herself. It’s a secret that could change her siblings’ lives forever.
Author Clark unveils the story slowly, flashing back through time to introduce us first to Dorothy’s struggles as a new mother in 1961, and to each child’s own stories as they grow into adults, with all the challenges that brings. These siblings never seem to stop squabbling – at the funeral, Anna muses: “Even when they were kids, Clare could start a row in an empty room. It was funny how they’d all just grown up into older versions of how were they were as children.” Indeed, that pretty much sums up this book. The only story that is fully fleshed out is Clare’s, and to some extent Anna; I wanted more about Miriam and Sebastian’s lives, but this is really Clare’s story. Clark has created sympathetic though flawed characters who are realistic and likable. Their struggles are real, and their motivations authentic. While not a great novel, it’s a good one, a satisfying read that raises questions about family and what makes us who we are. As someone who is quite “different” from her siblings, The Thing About Clare resonates for me, and I really enjoyed this one. My thanks to Lake Union Publishing for the advance reading copy provided digitally through NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
More discussion and reviews of this novel: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40049299
I wanted to like this book, but I didn't. It seemed childish and immature at times.

I would like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book free of charge. This is my honest and unbiased opinion of it.
I found this book to be too long, to difficult to get through and the characters were not likable. Very disappointed in what I thought would be a great read.
The Truth About Clare - Imogen Clark

I wasn’t really sure about this book, its not my favourite genre but I can read virtually anything. I think my ultimate decision was that this book wasn’t for me.

A tale of four dysfunctional adult children behaving likes immature teenagers while arranging their mother’s funeral and trying to clear through the family home. A secret that one of them holds threatens to destroy their fragile relationships. None of who were particularly likeable but Clare was in a league of her own.  I couldn’t feel much sympathy for her as it seems that she is her own worst enemy.

We are told in both the past and the present day, each era we read through is coloured with historical events making me smile especially the silver jubilee, an event that I remember vividly.

Read for an honest review.  Thank you to Netgalley and Lake Union Publishers
This book was so truly boring, I could have made better use of my time.  Typical sibling drama surrounding the death of their mother and the fight over the will.  Predictable secrets come out.
I'll be honest.  I didn't like this book for several reasons.  First, I didn't like any of the characters.  They had no redeeming qualities.  Second, while I know sisters and brothers can be mean to each other it seemed like none of them liked each other. It was dreadfully depressing and long.  I read the book all the way through.  But I cannot recommend it. And I still don't understand "the thing about Clare."

Thank you to NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for the opportunity to read and provide an honest review of this book
When Dorothy Bliss dies and seemingly leaves no will the four children are left a bit at sea.   Miriam is the oldest,  followed by the troublesome Clare then the favourite Anna and lastly the afterthought Sebastian.   The only problem is there was a will and a letter for Clare that Dorothy gave to Anna and asked her to destroy........ but Anna read it first and is now in a dilemma as whether to reveal the contents or not......... is there a reason that Clare has always seemed the odd one out!

A good family story with secrets that come out and flashbacks to childhood,  a bit of a slow burner but that didn't matter as it wasn't an action packed story just a nice easy gentle pace
I received a netgalley of The Thing About Clare by Imogen Clark, in exchange for an honest review. When the matriarch of the Bliss Family, Dorothy, passes away.  The four Bliss siblings are now left to deal with the aftermath of there not being a will. One of the daughters has a secret that there was one and destroyed it at the bequest of Dorothy. Anna is not conflicted to reveal what she knows or keep it a secret as her mother wished. This book is an intriguing family mystery and kept my attention. I recommend this book.
This was a very entertaining novel about four siblings who are dealing with their mother's estate.  Apparently the mother had a one time affair between her first and second child and was never sure who the father was.  It also happened that this second child was a particularly difficult and free spirited child and adult, and the mother wondered if this was the result of her possibly the child of the other man.  The books goes back and forth between each of the characters, both in the present and in the past.  It was very well done and not easily put aside to do other things.  I strongly recommend this book.

Many thanks to NetGalley, the publisher and the author for a review copy.  This is my honest opinion.
Deep dive into the complicated relationship between three sisters and their.  Told through the eyes of both the sisters and the mother, this is a well-written novel, with well-realized character and I really enjoyed it.
Really loved this read, a great family story told very well, could totally relate to the different personalities living in the house, reminded me of growing up with 3 siblings
The story of Claire, on of Dorothy and Franks four children, which flashes back to both their childhoods and following thr death of their mother.    I enjoyed this book, but although there was a focus on Claire, more than her siblings,I didn’t think it was quite as focussed specifically on her life as it could have been.  As a family saga it was a lovely, slightly emotional read.
Family dysfunction has a name and it is Bliss! Set in Ireland, this story could be told anywhere. Sibling rivalry is universal, but add in the time of the Troubles and after, and you have an unique look at a time period many of us know about. the Bliss family is no different than most families, except their dynamic was changed by a late in life baby. But where most families would have problems with the youngest, with the Bliss family it is the second oldest, Clare. Why does Clare seem cut from a different gene pool from the rest? When their mother dies, they may find out why. But will it change the sibling dynamic? Or stregthen it? This is a book to be savored and enjoyed, but a must read!
The Thing about Clare is the story of Dorothy and Frank and their children - Miriam the eldest daughter followed by Clare and Anna the youngest. Then there’s Sebastian the youngest child by far and the only boy. Dorothy was Irish and I just loved the author’s portrayal of her no nonsense approach to motherhood and yet she was kindly. Then there was Frank who had the opinion. why use five words when you can use twenty five. He was a journalist so the family was used to his flowery way with words. I loved this book. It was very well written and well paced and kept my interest from start to finish. I enjoyed the dynamics of the family - past and present. I found the story funny and witty yet poignant and touching. Recommended
Thanks to NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review
This is a story about the Bliss family, the mother Dorothy and her four children Miriam, Clare ,Anna and the latecomer Sebastian. The author deals with the complexity of relationships within a family. Why is a mother not equally fair or attached to all of her children. Why is there often one problem child ? Why do siblings relate differently to each other?
All these issues are sensitively narrated and the book forces the readers to reflect on their own relationships. This is a very thoughtful book about what makes a family function or malfunction. No easy answer  is possible but at least the Bliss siblings found their way. I would recommend this novel.
As part of a large family myself, the relationships between siblings is always complicated.  Miriam is the eldest, responsible and organized, while Clare is the second and the black sheep.  Anna is seen as her Mom’s favorite, and Sebastian is the unexpected baby.  The story tells how they each approached their lives, and how they react when a basic truth is tested.  An appealing read, thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.