Cover Image: The Homecoming

The Homecoming

The Residence is a terrifying story about a haunting that plagues President Franklin Pierce and his wife Jane in the wake of an unimaginable tragedy on their way to Washington D.C. Pyper expertly weaves fact and fiction to create a gripping historical horror novel that is packed with truly creepy and unsettling scenes that are sure to give you chills. While this novel is a must-read at any time of the year, the atmosphere in The Residence is perfect for the upcoming Halloween season
I really loved this book in a new to me author. The characters and location really and to the story. I can't wait to read the next one. This book keeps you guessing until the end.
I am a member of the American Library Association Reading List Award Committee. This title was on the 2020 shortlist. The complete list of winners and shortlisted titles is at <a href="https://rusaupdate.org/2020/01/2020-reading-list-years-best-in-genre-fiction-for-adult-readers/">
This book was a great read.  Homecoming for sure.  I found it to be a great thriller, ghost story and mystery all wrapped up in one.  This  book is very hard to describe without spoiling it.  But here is a little outline:  There was a reading of a will  and to claim the inheritance, the family had to stay on the property for 30 days without contacting anyone outside of the estate.  Lots of things were revealed.

Great book.  Thank you NetGalley as well as Andrew Pyper and Simon and Schuster for allowing read this book in advance.
This book was so intriguing from the very beginning. I loved the twisty, edgy, secretive nature of the book as it sucks you into the mystery. I also loved the creepy, edgy, almost supernatural vibe to the book.

I enjoyed reading about Aaron and his younger sister Bridge. Despite being years apart in their age difference, they still had a fun-loving and close relationship and I found it very endearing and fun to read about. Aaron was very fond of his younger sister, and her of him. Their family was full of secrets and mystery especially their father, now deceased. Growing up he didn’t provide them with much attention or affection and he was pretty much as mystery to his entire family – his wife and children.

When the Quinlan’s arrive at the property in the Pacific Northwest, they are shocked to learn of the terms and conditions of their father’s will. In a novel where nothing is always as it seems, and shocking revelation after revelation, you will find yourself wanting to know more as you read along through the chapters.

I enjoyed this book and was shocked at the ending. It wasn’t what I was expecting and I loved that!
Deeply creepy and suspenseful. I loved every minute of it! It was probably one of my favourite reads this year.
Thank you to Simon and Schuster Canada for a free copy of this book for review. Okay this is definitely not something I would normally read and it’s not at all how I thought the book would be. Having said that it definitely kept my interest and kept me reading until the end. That’s the sign of a good book right? Aaron and his sister head to a remote location in the Pacific North West of the US. Their mother and other sister soon join them. Their aloof and distant father has stipulated that for any of the family to inherit his vast wealth they must stay at this location for a month with no connection to the outside world. They reluctantly agree and are surprised when more people arrive who are the children from his secret second family. The new half siblings are also shocked to find out their father had another family and also decide to stay. Here is where the book really goes into a whole different realm. I can’t even describe to you all that happens so you will need to read the book to find out for yourself. I’m still not sure what I even read and how it all fit together. If you want to learn more, read the book at your own risk! 🤣🤣
Very unexpected and creative read. I did not see the twists coming and the plot kept surprising me. The author came up with a great plot and the book flowed with ease and excitement. I highly recommend for an entertaining read!
I love Andrew Piper's writing. His stories suck you in from the very beginning and keep their grip until the very end. This was another well-written page-turner. Another winner!
It was interesting enough but I did find this book a bit hard to follow at times. I had to go back and reread a few pages because i realized I was a little lost at times.

The story line was decent but not sure I would recommend this book.
This is the first I’ve ever read of Pyper but it probably won’t be my last, because The Homecoming was pretty much amazing if you’re into dark thrillers with a horror-sci-fi undertone.

This is better experienced if you have absolutely no idea what’s going on. Nothing is ever what it seems. It’s occasionally a little far-fetched, but the characters, the setting and the plot is treated with such honesty and care, that suspension of disbelief is easy to come by.

This was part horror-slasher in the woods and part thriller, with dashes of locked-room mystery and sci-fi. The writing is minimalist in description, except where it counts – namely the creepy stuff.

It leans heavily on dialogue and interactions to bring the characters and relationships to life, which is my favourite kind of writing. It doesn’t feel bogged down or overstuffed, giving the pace a kick in the butt when it was needed and an atmosphere that was creepy, but vibrant.

If you like thrillers with unexpected plot elements, I recommend this for real.
Horror Fiction
Adult
Four members of the Quinlan family – surgeon Aaron, his adored teenaged sister Bridget called Bridge, middle child Franny mourning the son she lost because of her addiction to heroin, and mother Eleanor – gather at Belfountain Estate to hear the terms of Ray Quinlan’s will. A largely absent father and husband, he was a secretive man – no one knew of this spectacular estate, not to mention a sizeable fortune which they stand to inherit. But there’s a catch. The four must stay at Belfountain for 30 days, with no technology or outside contact, starting immediately, or all the money goes to a charity.
Following heated discussion, they agree to stay, only to be dumbfounded when another group of Quinlans arrives. That’s not Dad’s only secret. Things turn very strange very quickly, as the group finds itself under attack and one person dies. Then another. Will anyone survive to inherit? I really wanted to like this book but it just got worse and worse as I went along. I was a bit creeped out by Aaron’s devotion to his sister, though most will probably find it touching. (Keep in mind, I think Robert Munsch’s Love You Forever is creepy.) Pyper, who won an award for The Demonologist, is a skilled descriptor. He creates a world that is alive with dangers: in one scene, he writes, the walls of an underground passage “bulged outward like an inflamed throat.” And while the description and dialogue are well done, the characters are one-sided and were just too thinly drawn, except for Aaron and Bridge, to really resonate with me or engender any sympathy. It’s horrifying and confusing, a blend of sci-fi, horror, and the mystery genres. I read it through to the end but not with the delight I’d hoped for. I didn’t see the ending coming, which is always good. It’s also definitely fast-paced and thrilling, good signs for fans of horror fiction and those who like dystopian political medical sci-fi thrillers, but it just wasn’t for me. My thanks to Simon & Schuster Canada for the advance reading copy provided digitally through NetGalley, in exchange for my honest review. My local Grand Forks & District Public Library has a copy available for borrowing as well.
More discussion and reviews of this novel:
I find Andrew Pyper to be so descriptive in his writing that even when he isn't trying to be scary, the suspense is built up enough that he is scary but it isn't the blood and gore cheap scary.  It is the sit in your bones make you turn on all the lights kind of scary.

I have read his previous work and this work doesn't disappoint, if anything, it shows his changes as a writer.  It was a pleasure to read (even if I did jump for a week afterwards)
Good writing and characters but it was just a little too much and too confusing at times for me to fully enjoy.
Reading of a will, remote rainforest estate, a family excluded from the outside world and surrounded by danger.

Ok hmm, what did I just read here? Sounds like an easy plot to wrap your head around. Well, I am really not sure what this story was all about after reading this one.

The Homecoming started off as an intriguing and interesting read and the twists to this one became terrifying here for our characters. The suspense and tension increased until about ¾ of the way and then it took a very unexpected turn for me and I was left thinking what kind of thriller I am reading here. I felt there was a mix here of genres that took me by surprise and just left me lost and confused. A few reviews suggest going into this one not knowing much about this one so I am going to keep it short here and recommend if you are a reader that likes to know the direction the story is going to read a bit more about this one before going into it. I wished I had.

Thank you to NetGalley, Simon & Schuster Canada for my ARC.
2.5 stars.    I enjoyed the writing, but couldn’t connect to the characters or storyline.

Aaron Quinlan reunites with his family after his father dies.   He, along with his mother and siblings, are summoned to a large, hidden estate to discuss the details of his father’s will.  They learn of the enormous sum of money that will be split between them under one condition – they must remain on the estate together for thirty days without any contact outside of its gates starting immediately.  What unfolds after this is an action-packed, suspenseful and fast-paced journey.

I enjoyed the writing and how the story unfolded.  Unfortunately, the plot and characters didn’t work for me.   I couldn’t relate or invest myself in the situation that was happening.   For those thriller readers who have the ability to suspend disbelief, this would be a great read.   I just couldn’t get passed the several plot points and character quirks that didn’t add up.  I am simply not the proper audience for this storyline.  With that being said, I would like to try something else by this author, as I did like his style of writing.

Thank you to NetGalley and Simon & Schuster for providing me with an ARC to read and review!
The Homecoming is a riveting psychological thriller by bestselling author Andrew Pyper.
Bestselling author Andrew Pyper returns with a fascinating psychological thriller about how the people you’ve known your whole life can suddenly become strangers.

All I can say is this book blew me away…and not at all what I was expecting. I suggest you go into this book blind.

What if everything you knew about the people you loved was a lie?

After the death of their absentee father, Aaron and Bridge Quinlan travel to a vast rainforest property in the Pacific Northwest to hear the reading of his will. There, they meet up with their mother and troubled sister, Franny, and are shocked to discover the will’s terms: in order to claim their inheritance, they must all remain at the estate for thirty days without any contact with the outside world. Despite their concerns, they agree.

The Quinlans soon come to learn their family has more secrets than they ever imagined—revelations that at first inspire curiosity, then fear. Why does Bridge have faint memories of the estate? Why did their father want them to be sequestered there together? And what is out there they feel pulling them into the dark heart of the woods?

To reveal more about this novel, would disclose spoilers. Let’s just say things are not what they seem! So many secrets and revelations.

This is a one creepy, exceptionally well written, totally engrossing novel. The plot immediately hooked me. This story is complex, yet easy to get lost in. Full of twists, well-drawn characters and riveting suspense. Clever, manipulative, dark and disturbing,

If you love psychological thrillers then I highly recommend this novel. Do yourself a favor and read this book! You won’t regret it. The Homecoming is a frightening exploration of how our memories can both define and betray us, and will have you questioning your very existence.

Many thanks to Andrew Pyper, Simon & Schuster Canada via NetGalley for my digital copy.
A 4-5 star atmospheric, chilling, thrilling read.  If you love books that really use the atmosphere to paint a picture of chills and thrills, this book is for you.  It grabbed me from the beginning, as I needed to know more about this strange family and this chilling place they were visiting because of their dead fathers wishes.  I was pleasantly surprised to get many thrills, chills, and twists and turns.  Will be highly recommending to the members of Chapter Chatter Pub!
I kind of don't know where to begin.  I just finished this book yesterday and it's one of those that I need to review while it's still fresh in my mind.  After the death of their father, the Quinlan family heads to a mysterious property in the Pacific Northwest forest for the reading of the will.  There they learn that they stand to inherit millions of dollars, but only if they stay there for 30 days without phones, TV, news or outside contact.  As if the whole situation isn't weird enough, on the second day, a second Quinlan family arrives tasked with the same quest.  Eager to learn more about their father and the secret life he lived, everyone is up to the challenge.  However, some may soon find out this challenge just might be their last.

I was super excited to read this book.  I was approved for  Netgalley copy but didn't download it fast enough so I raced to get it from my library and was first in line.  I couldn't devour the first part of the book fast enough.  I loved meeting all the cast - the likable and the unlikable ones.  I also became intrigued about what kind of man amassed a small fortune while living a double life. Then the book took a turn.  Now don't get me wrong, I didn't necessarily mind the turn, but it was such a drastic shift that I suddenly felt a disconnect to the story.  I felt like my focus of caring for some of the family members and the creepy things going on in the forest no longer mattered and I just wanted to see how crazy things were going to get.  I really can't describe it much better than to sum it up and say it felt like two separate tales.

I will mention two small issues.  First up there is a character who really has no resolution in the end.  I wanted to know who he was and what happened to him to get to this point and I never really got those answers.  Secondly, I'm sure someone was paid quite well to edit this book.  There is a young character named Bridge and I found at least three incidents where her named wasn't properly capitalized and given that I read a finished copy, I was a tad irritated.  I shouldn't let that bother me so much but I did.

Pyper's wring was really easy to delve into and I have several other books by him on my TBR.  I will definitely be reading more from him because one, there aren't enough horror writers to ever make me happy and two, he has quite an imagination and talent.  I just wished this book had fared better for me. That being said, it's still a solid read and if you are curious and can grab the book from your local library, I say give it a chance and see what you think.
The Homecoming was an unexpected and thoroughly entertaining read!

I went into the book blind and was grateful that I not only I had forgotten any reviews I may have previously read but couldn't even recall the synopsis. What a treat it was to let this one unfold as I read. Honestly, I was straight up confused while reading. I found myself wondering if this was a mystery, a thriller, horror, a ghost story or a smorgasbord of all of the above. My mind was spinning with theories - and to my delight each and every one of them was wrong !

A brief synopsis: Following the death of their father/husband, the Quinlains are brought to a secluded estate for the reading of Raymond Quinlain's will. In order to claim their inheritance the family must remain on the property for thirty days with zero contact with the outside world. Cue spooky background music here because that's where everything begins to shift. The Quinlains quickly discover that nothing is as it seems. There are many buried secrets and skeletons within their family's closet.

That's all I can say without spoiling this one for you. Just know you're in for a creepy, wild ride with this one. If you let yourself go with it, I think you'll find you are in for a surprising treat.