Cover Image: The Library of Lost and Found

The Library of Lost and Found

I could definitely relate with the main character, Martha Storm the Librarian, as she can relate better to books than she can with people. I also love just about any book that takes place within a library as I find a library to be one of my most favorite places to while away the time. I found a lot of myself in the main character and at first, I truly enjoyed reading The Library of Lost and Found, however, I found some of the other characters to drone on and create unnecessary drama and I found my interest lacking.
A really cute, heartwarming story with a touch of mystery and lots of family drama. I thought it was well worth the read.
The main character here is Martha Storm, a library volunteer, single woman in her early 50s living in a small English seaside town. Martha was a bit of a rebellious child, not always giving in to her father's domineering ways, as her mother too often did. She felt that her father loved her younger sister Lilian better, Martha looked after her parents until they passed on, and has been a helpful person in her community most of her life. She volunteers to do things for a wide variety of people from the local schoolteacher, to business owners to her own sister, but never feels fulfilled by her own life. Several times she has applied for a job at the library she volunteers at, but even though the library manager Clive has her planning events, doing tours, ordering material, and manning the service desk, he always seems to have an excuse not to actually hire her. Martha gets on well with the staff at the library, particularly the newest library assistant Suki. Her sister Lilian has two children, and she is often called upon to mind them when Lilian has plans. One person that Martha still grieves for is her grandmother who died suddenly when she was just a child. Martha hadn't even been allowed to go to the funeral.
When she finds a book left at the library door for her, Martha is confused. The book is not new, but damaged, but it is dedicated to her and seems to be written by her grandmother, but the publication date is after her grandmother's death. As Martha takes the first steps toward her own independence and makes decisions in her life, she finds that there are things about her own past she didn't know, and things about her future she must make choices about.
An interesting read.
Martha finds a book on the doorstep of the library and learns about her family.  Full of little stories. ARC from NetGalley.
A great read from Phaedra Patrick, as regimented librarian Martha discovers a book that changes her whole life.
Martha is a librarian who has always felt better connected with books than people. But when a book of fairy tales shows up on her doorstep suggesting that her long-deceased and beloved grandmother, Zelda, may still be alive, Martha must learn the truth behind Zelda’s past.

It’s a cute story, inspired by books, fairy tales, and the English seaside- a great combination in my opinion. Martha really goes through a lot of development over the course of the book. The characters are sweet and fun, and the plot was really interesting. Overall, a whimsical and hopeful story of discovery and family.
Librarian Martha has been taking advantage of her entire life by family and friends. The only person who truly understood her was her grandmother but she died when she was young. Now in middle age, a found self published book reminds her of her grandmother and leads Martha to uncover family secrets.

I enjoyed this heartwarming story. If you like quirky characters like Eleanor Oliphant and Nina Hill you will enjoy this Martha's story as well.

4 stars.
I was interested in the premise of this book about a library and a book about long lost stories. The book itself was pleasant to read but I could not get engaged with the character and the plot seemed to meander without really going very far. I like learning more about Martha growing up though I could never get myself to like Zelda - the characters' behavior to situations were erratic like they weren't sure how they were supposed to react and changed their minds constantly. The fables were an interesting touch but seemed a little on-the-nose and I was not captured by them as stories. An easy enough read but reminded me that I am not quite a fan of this style of writing.
I decided not to finish this book. It had an interesting premise, but it didn't hold a deep appeal. I wanted more depth from the character and her exploration. The book connection pulls in a large audience, but it needs more to keep it.
Thank you to NetGalley for my e-copy of this book!

I LOVED this book. I adore books with librarian main characters and this book was no exception. As librarian Martha finds a magical book with secrets to unfold about her family, Martha ventures out on a journey to find out more about her family and ultimately a journey to find herself.
Hmmm. It’s marketed as an adult book but the premise feels very middle grade. I’m also tired of books where bookish people don’t like other people or have an aversion to them. It’s a tired trope. Where are my extroverted book nerds at?
A middle-aged, single woman finds her long-lost grandmother and in the process uncovers family secrets.  Women's fiction isn't my favorite genre, so it's hard to give a fair assessment of the book.  While I liked some of the quirky characters and their unique voices, other elements seemed predictable and overwrought.  Recommended only for those who like the genre.
Thank you Netgalley for this ARC of The Library of Lost and Found by Phaedra Patrick.

Martha has spent her entire life taking care of people.  Having never married or having children, she finds joy in being there for others and helping her friends.  But, after time Martha starts to ask herself if she hasn't left herself behind in the meantime.

While she slowly tried to untangle herself from the needs of everyone else, she begins to find remnants of her beloved grandmother who died under mysterious circumstances.  This launches Martha into a different world of investigation and discovery.

I like this book okay.  It dragged on a bit and honestly, I would have loved more book references, especially if it's going to have Library in the title.  I did really love the characters and the overall idea of the book, it was just executed a bit slowly.
Note: I received this book from the author/publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was a good read and moved very quickly but I wish there had been just a little more depth. Martha finds herself in a deep hole of taking care of everyone else in her life, but not herself. And that is so relatable! It's so hard to say "no" and the story deals with how standing up for yourself can really take your life to new places. I liked the library/book lover world the story is set in and there were lots of sweet moments but some of the relationships in the book were just so silly and unnecessary, in my opinion. I'm not a fan of side characters being terrible to the main character and being instantly forgiven, it just seems so unrealistic and weak. I liked the story and the message behind the plot but it was just missing that last little bit to make it a great story.
I honestly feel bad, because I really wanted to like this book, but I just couldn't get into it. The overall plot was interesting enough: girl reconnects with a grandmother she though was dead through a library book. It should have been right up my alley, but I just found that I couldn't connect with the main character, so it took me a really really long time to get through this one (I'm one of those people who if I start a book, I have to finish it). If you happened to already own this book, I wouldn't suggest not reading it, but I also wouldn't suggest that you to go out of your way to find a copy to read.
Really fun read, and would be great for a women’s book club. Wonderful choice for readers who are looking for a light romance.
The Library of Lost and Found is one of the cutest books I’ve read. This romantic yet cozy book will keep you wanting more.  I would recommend this to anyone wanting to find a book just for them.
I cannot say enough good things about The Library of Lost and Found! Martha Storm is a librarian who cannot seem to say no to anyone. She gave up the love of her life to take care of her ailing parents, she cannot seem to get a full time librarian job because her boss always overlooks her, and she and her sister communicate, but barely. One day, Martha receives a package in the mail. It turns out to be a book that has a dedication to her and it contains stories she wrote when she was younger and stories her grandmother Zelda used to tell her. She goes on a mission to find out the truth of what happened to her grandmother, and along the way she learns how to start putting herself first and telling other people NO. I loved this book so much. Watching Martha learn to grow and change and take charge of her life made my heart soar, and watching her deal with the past and learn to move forward was simply wonderful! I have recommended this book numerous times already and will continue to do so!!
I received a copy of this story from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This has been sitting on my TBR list for a while now. I picked it originally because the title and cover are interesting and intriguing. Having read it now, I'm not sure I'd make the same choice if I could go back and do it over.

Family dramas like this one are hit-or-miss with me. My lack of enthusiasm towards this story is mostly personal so bear that in mind when reading my review! I didn't find the characters relatable and some of them were downright unpleasant. Zelda was the most interesting by far, but I still had issues with her, too. There was a vagueness to the whole thing that bothered me like an itch I can't scratch. The emotional payoff lacked a punch because it was fairly predictable. It was all kind of flat.

I also found the setting of the story problematic. It seems broadly British but there would be moments of Americanisms that stuck out like a big neon sign. It couldn't seem to make up its mind as to what it wanted to be.

I wouldn't recommend this book.
This is a magical, sweet story. I found myself growing attached to the characters, and I had to find out what happened!