Civil War Places

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 18 Mar 2019

NetGalley provided me with this book. I've always appreciated Dr. Gallagher's scholarship and this collection of essays by him and other accomplished historians is no exception. I particularly enjoyed Stephen Berry's essay about the church at Shiloh, William Blair's essay about black denizens of Arlington National Cemetery, and Brenda Stevenson's deeply personal reflections about the Emancipation Oak. Will Gallagher's photos are excellent although I could have done without his closing thoughts, I thought the images stood well on their own.
I loved this book! The articles and the corresponding photographs really gave a glimpse into the Civil War. My kids and I loved looking over this book, even though the articles were over their heads, they enjoyed hearing about the different aspects.

I was a little disappointed that the license ran out so quickly for this one. I was not fully finished with it. Look forward to seeing an actual print copy so that I can get to the ending.
Gary Gallagher did a great job pulling all these scholars together on this project. The photography is amazing too.
This wasn't the book that I thought it was and wasn't able to finish it enough to want to give a full review for it.

Thank You for the chance to read this book!!
I am a little disappointed that the way to read this book did not work for me. I followed all the directions and was unable to read it. I do believe that the book would have been a good read, and very interesting to see the different places of the civil war. Guess I will have to wait until this book is published in order to read it.