The Final Days of Magic

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 02 Jul 2019

As a thank, you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an advanced readers copy I shall give an honest review of J.D. Horn’s  last installment in the Witches of New Orleans series “The Final Days of Magic.” After following J.D Horn’s writing for nearly a year and a half I can honestly say this finale was worth the wait. Following the events that occurred in part two ( The Book of the unwinding) Alice Marin, and her family of Witches had a score to settle and in this series finale do we see what it has been leading to. The novel acted as a companion to its predecessors acknowledging areas of foreshadowing as well as areas filled with potential for more. As you enter this novel are you greeted with a list of characters and their various associations within this world. This was something I appreciated for there were many characters both lead and supporting. This often does not occur and is worth mentioning. The world of Magic and Witchcraft that J.D. Horn has created is something I have immensely enjoyed in these novels and is an aspect I looked forward to learning more about as each novel progressed. It is this type of world-building that captured my imagination and importantly my attention. This trilogy offered inclusiveness and made unlikely characters heroes albeit if redemption was their choice. This novel is one that should be read and re-read for I feel there may be an opportunity to return to these characters but alas is simply a fan wanting more. Perhaps it is best to be left where we are and know we can return to this set featuring a family of Witches in New Orleans once again.. Overall I highly recommend this and cannot limit my praise for this novel and series. On Goodreads, I gave this novel four out of five stars.
(2.5 stars)

The Final Days of Magic is my last shot at the New Orleans Witches series. And I’ve discovered that none of the characters matter very much to me. Even if author J.D. Horn writes another book in the series, I won’t be following along. I’m disappointed to be leaving the series feeling this way. But, so it is.

The Marin family of witches is a hot mess. Nicholas is a control freak, and his sister Fleur comes back to New Orleans to get her life together after splitting with her D.C.-based husband. The newer generation isn’t much better. Alice is back from being held captive in both physical and metaphysical locations. Lucy is teenager extraordinaire, who manipulates Fleur every chance she gets.

The crux of the story remains the same as the first two books. Magic is dying among the covens of New Orleans. Nicholas seems poised to stop at nothing to bring it back. And, of course, install himself as King of the Witches.

Alongside the Marins, we have Evangeline Caissy, another witch who was previously in a relationship with Nicholas. She owns a now-iconic business in the French Quarter, a club with exotic dancers and plenty of tourists. But her new relationship is tainted by her long-dead love, Luc Marin. And she’s exploring her relationship with another coven of sorts. It’s comprised of her dead mother and aunts, who inhabited this world in the guise of giant crow-like birds.

Next we have the Perrault family, especially Lisette and Manon. They have family connections to voodoo, and are trying to put their lives back together again after some tragedies in the second book.

Our last main character is my favorite, Nathalie Boudreau, who is a chauffeur and psychic. She’s involved with everyone above, but also reconnecting with her family of origin North of the city. I liked her burgeoning relationship with Alice, and also her struggle to manage her abilities.

My conclusions
Look at that, it takes so many paragraphs just to explain the main characters. I hardly have space to discuss the plot, which basically just comes down to witchy power struggles. The variety of characters means the story has tentacles all over the place. Honestly, it’s hard to keep track even after three books with these folks.

And, while I liked Evangeline, Nathalie, and Lisette, I didn’t appreciate the male characters at all. And no one gets enough time for me to truly fall in love with their story. It all just felt fractured to me.

Magic is also a central character and plot driver. The question is whether its dark or light side is going to dominate New Orleans. Different characters attempt to push it where they prefer. And magic is having none of that. Instead, it prefers to be in control.

For the first half of the book, I thought Horn was turning story-arc tradition on its head. Of the three books, the craziest, most spectacular event seemed to live in the first book. Authors usually hold the wildest wildness for a later book. And then I realized I spoke too soon. Horn pulls out all the crazy stops for his ending in The Final Days of Magic. Wowza!

Still, I much prefer his Witching Savannah series. The Witches of New Orleans books are all just so-so for me.

Acknowledgments
Many thanks to NetGalley, 47North, and the author for a free digital ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Unfortunately there has been too much going on in this trilogy to have any time pass between reading each book. I read the first two books back-to-back but waiting a year to read the third and final book makes it impossible to follow so many characters. The character recap/backgrounds in the beginning was helpful but not enough to get through the book with a clear idea of what is going on.
Review: I didn’t like this series as much as I hoped. This is the Third. This series begins with

I do like that it’s free to read on Kindle Unlimited and Audio through KU as well. I was able to listen to it be read to me while laying in bed. Loved that. Overall, I would recommend it but.. know I didn’t like it. Something that could be enjoyed just .. not by me.

This was downloaded through Netgalley free in exchange for an honest review.
Thankyou to NetGalley,  47North and the author,  J. D. Horn, for the opportunity to read a digital copy of The Final Days of Magic in exchange for an honest and unbiased opinion.
This book is the third in the Witches of New Orleans series. It is a satisfying conclusion to a wonderfully written series.
The characters are well drawn and compelling with enough intrigue and suspense to hold your interest until the last page.
Well worth a read
This is the 3rd and final chapter of this great story. It is about New Orleans witches and the war that is going on. I would definitely recommend to read the first two books in the series or you will get a bit lost. Wonderful world building the author makes you feel like you are there you can almost see and smell New Orleans. The characters are well written and the story line itself is interesting. I didn't read the first two books first so didn't enjoy it as much I went back and read them and the third made more sense after that. fast paced book I enjoyed the series.
Disclaimer: I received an advance copy of this book via NetGalley.

I don't normally dive into a series without reading any of the previous books, but I did with this one. Having read the Witching Savannah series (in full) previously, I was already familiar with the author, and jumped into this book without thinking. Not a good idea. I had no context or background for the Witches of New Orleans, the series that this book is tied to. This being the third book in the series...well at lot probably happened in the first two that explained the mess of confusion in this last book.

The overall impression I had was that this book was tying up a lot of loose ends, that a lot of tumultuous events had happened in the first two books that resulted in difficulties for the main characters, and that there was a depth to the "history" built into this book that I was just barely able to experience. However, not having read the previous books, I felt like an outsider looking in. I was barely able to keep up with the characters and events because I just didn't have the background knowledge to do so. The writing, as in the Witching Savannah series, was good and did not detract from the story. The book moved at a pretty good pace. I think at some point I'll just have to read the first two books to fully comprehend everything.
Beautifully written and full of intrigue and suspense, The Final Days of Magic draws you into a magical world.  Absolutely captivating and thrilling, I couldn't wait to see how this amazing book ended.
Thank you to Netgalley and the Publisher for the opportunity to read and review this title.  All opinions and mistakes are my own.
Enjoyed this book. Kept me interested all the way through. Would recommend to a fellow reader.  Love the cover.
An excellent ending to a well enjoyed series.  I really getting to know the characters better, especially Alice.

I found that trying to only read a chapter on my commute to/from work on the train wasn't quite enough. Part of it was that each chapter tended to jump to a different character/set of characters.  The other was I just didn't want to stop reading. I think it is best read in long stretches.  I'd probably say that about all of J.D. Horn's books.
I received this copy from the publisher via Netgalley in an exchange for an honest review.

The Final Days of Magic was the most solid installment in the trilogy, which is a good way to end a story. In my reviews of the previous books, I complained that the author appeared to skip important parts or explanations and it left the feeling of an incomplete story. I’m happy to report that seems to have been cleared up in this addition.

Our three witches, Alice, Evangeline and Lisette have for the most part, gone their separate ways again. Each trying to both heal but prepare for whatever the world throws at them next. They don’t have to wait long until they’re tested by the dark force that wants back into their realm.

This time the action felt much more fleshed out and kept me entertained. There were definitely some dark moments for some of the characters that provided a more emotional connection. However, the deaths of a couple of characters felt a little rushed and we were not given proper time to mourn them.

Overall, this series was entertaining and provided a great atmosphere with interesting characters. It’s hard not to love a story set in New Orleans with witches, but I’ve seen it fail before. The author clearly spent a lot of time researching history, the occult and magic and it really paid off.
3 1/2 out of 5 stars
   Alice Marin has finally be freed from the illusory realm but the world she has been freed into is a world where the remnants of magic are passing away quickly . With that happening it is also taking with it the unity of the witches and along with the unity along with their sanity . She is fighting of finding out who her true parents are and a friend who is battling her own demons .  With the longest night of the year coming up fast Alice must figure out to defeat the destructive forces that haunt her family , Will she survive the night and will she survive the secrets that are too dark to be revealed .
   The characters in this installment were written well but I felt that they just weren't as complex as the characters in the first two books . Alice seems to be just hanging on sometimes by a thread . She does come off just a little be naïve at the beginning but she does grow into the witch that she is suppose to be . She does get stronger as the book goes on . Natalie is kind a crazy her demons really drive her around the bend .  They are good characters I just think they need a little more depth to them .
   I was so excited to see the third book in the series . I truly loved the first two books and was just excited to get it . I sat down and started reading, I will say I couldn't really connect with the main characters in this installment . I felt that they were just there going through the movements . You sometimes feel lost while you were reading . There were also times where I kind of skipped over the inner monologues . I just felt that they didn't really need to be there . I will say the second part of the book was better then the first part . When they started battling and fighting to keep the magic . It was going great and then it just stopped . There were parts I truly loved in this book I mean there are parts that are slow but it really doesn't over shadow the rest of the story at all . I strongly suggest that you read the first two book so you know that is going on and who all the characters are . If you want a good witch series for your summer check them out .
I received a complimentary ARC copy of The Final Days of Magic (Witches of New Orleans #3) by J.D. Horn from NetGalley and 47North in order to read and give an honest review.

The Final Days of Magic (Witches of New Orleans #3) by J.D. Horn is the third and final book in the series from Author J.D. Horn. I have read and reviewed both the first book, The King of Bones and Ashes (Witches of New Orleans #1) and the second The Book of Unwinding (Witches of New Orleans #2). With The Final Days of Magic, although I didn't enjoy this entry as much as the first two, I still found it to be a satisfying, albeit heartbreaking finale to the series.

One thing is consistent throughout the Witches of New Orleans series is J.D. Horn's ability to give us such strong, unique and multifaceted characters which the reader can connect with. I love his ability to depict strong, flawed and resilient characters, especially the way his female characters come across. His plots are imaginative and lean towards the dark end of the spectrum as far as paranormal.  In this book, as with the others, there are quite a few characters and I really appreciated the character list included at the beginning for a handy reference, especially since I read quite a bit and the previous book was about a year ago.  Another thing I have to commend J.D. Horn for is that he brings  New Orleans to life, he delves into the history and mysticism of the city and it becomes a character of its own.

This book felt like it wrapped up most of the loose ends on the most part. We followed Natalie, Alice, Lisette and Angeline all continuing to work through much of what happened in the previous book. This book did do an amazing job tying together magic with mythology and the climax not only unique but very unexpected.  My only issues in this book are that the focus is constantly changing and it feels a bit wild and uncontrolled. There also seemed to be a disconnect with Natalie for me this time around...her storyline was a bit "confusing" for a lack of a better word.

All in all a good series, unique in every sense. I recommend the series as a whole, but I recommend definitely reading the first two books before this one, it wouldn't make a great standalone.  I recommend this to anyone looking for something that is rife with magic and mayhem!
Book 3 in a paranormal series that really brings out from the book the sense and feel of the city of New Orleans. These books most certainly need reading in order and are worth it if you are a paranormal fan. For me i can take paranormal books sometimes so i have to spread out my reading of them otherwise i become blah with them. This book i give a solid 3 stars but for the overall series i give 4 stars. A very good series and book 3 adequately brings the story to a satisfying conclusion. Not my number 1 book in the series but it is always hard to end series with everyone satisfied.
I requested this book from Netgalley without knowing that it's a part of a series. But I'm thankful I was given a chance to read and review it.
First of all, it is so much better, in fact, it is advisable to read the first two books before diving into this one. Everything would be so much clear. I planned to read the first two books but I got no time, thanks to my reading slump in the past month. But anyway, by reading some spoiler reviews of the previous books, somehow I have a big picture of what went that led to the events in this book. Also there is a comprehensive list of characters in the beginning of the book where everything about them and what happened were stated. So yeah, I think it's okay for me to review this book.

What I love the most about this book is the atmosphere. It's so eerie and terrifying. New Orleans is so alive on the page. I'm hooked from the beginning to the end of the book. And the characters are really compelling and intriguing making the whole ride of reading this just Perfect. Sure I have a bit of complaint regarding the inner monologues of most of the characters, but it's okay. I'm just not the kind of reader who enjoys much of internal monologues. I love how everything is wrapped up in the story and I think I'd love it more if I've read the previous books. It just gave me all the feels.

Overall, I can say that this will not be the last book I'll read from this author.
This is book three of a trilogy. I had not read books one and two so I was totally lost in this third book. It does not work as a stand alone. I liked it but so much happened in the first two books that I couldn’t piece everything together. I think I could have liked this if I’d read the other books. However, there was so much killing of witches and family members, I did not connect with any of the characters in the story. All in all, most of the characters were ruthless and unlikeable so I didn’t really care if they were killed off. Maybe if I’d read the other two, I’d have liked this more but I didn’t. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for giving me an ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review. All opinions expressed are my own.
The Final Days of Magic is the third book in J.D. Horn’s series “Witches of New Orleans”. It mixes Western Christian notions of witchcraft with a Voodoo/Creole that feels very specific to New Orleans culture. This is the final novel in the series and it is supposed to tie up the narrative arc. I have been on a witchie book reading spree of late and I wanted to really like this book. I really did. But I just couldn’t get into it.

I finished the novel after really pushing myself through it and I felt more relief it was over than anything else when I got to the last page. For me, it wasn’t that the writing was terrible or that the novel felt sexist or anything of the sort. It simply felt mechanical. It felt like the equivalent of writing by numbers and I could not get invested in the plot or the characters.

The ending of the novel hints at a battle of witches—those for the darkness and sacrificing witches and those against—but even that fell flat. Just as everything starts to heat up and witches are dying and fighting left right and centre the chapter ends and what is the next section of the novel? An epilogue set long after the battle. The let down was real.

This hasn’t been the worst book I’ve read in 2019, but it is also not the best either. Fantasy novels have to have good writing and plot development, otherwise just relying on the characters and the ‘magic’ to take the plot somewhere will just not work.

So, for Horn’s last novel in this series, I have to give it a shrug. What fantasy books are you loving at the moment? As always, share the reading love.

NOTE: This novel was was accessed through Netgalley and 47 NORTH for review purposes.
The Final Days of Magic is already the third and final book of the Witches of New Orleans that was published over the span of a year and a half. That is quite a quick publishing job.

The problem I have with this series still stands in the third book. I’m just not that invested in the characters. In most cases I want to skip their inner monologues though I try not to. There is just so often so very little of interest to find there. It is just not good when a readers favorite character is the one that was absent for most of the book and not technically alive. Daniel is in a way just the heart of the story and that shows when even though he isn’t there anymore, he is so often referred to fondly. It is a shame none of the other characters quite live up to that.

I will say that I was happy to see Alice and her ‘brother’ Hugo bonding in this book. It was nice to see how they were so different but still found ways to hang out together. I also truly enjoyed seeing that Alice and Nathalie found each other. I just wish that part had been expanded on more. Then again, the romance was never the focus of this book.

As for the story, I think this book is for the most part a worthy wrap up with how the trilogy was moving forward. It was slow, setting up a lot of things for the final 25%. There were a lot of interesting things but a lot of little strings were left to open. One does not have to tie everything up but a bit more would have been nice. I also got kind of tired of the endless someone dies but gets resurrected, returns as a spirit thing this whole trilogy seems to have. It just kind of gets old. It made the whole impact at the end not as strong for me personally.

Overall this was a 3 star trilogy for me. The writing in itself is fine, the story could be a lot tighter in places. However if you do take to the characters then I can totally see people falling in love with it.
Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with this ARC as it's been an anticipated read of mine! Loved it!
Thank you Netgalley, J.D. Horn, and 47North for the Advanced Copy of this magical book!

I loved it for several reasons, one I used to live in New Orleans and I’ve personally experienced the the sense of energy that was electrifying the city. There’s so much history too, which makes for the perfect place to set your story in!

If you love history and the voo doo-ish vibes of New Orleans, you’ll really enjoy this read!