Cover Image: Life and Other Inconveniences

Life and Other Inconveniences

This book was such a powerful read. It was a captivating story that kept my attention to the very end. It was a great quarantine read! Even told from multiple POVs it was easy to keep up with, and the characters were 100% relatable. I really enjoyed this one!
It took me loooong looooong time to get into this book, more than halfway I think, but it paid off in the end.
The multiple povs was one of the biggest reason I couldn’t find myself invested in the story in the beginning but I kept pushing myself because Kristan Higgins has always been a favourite of mine and I knew I wouldn’t be disappointed in the end and somewhere along the way I started to get attached to all the characters and after the halfway mark was fully invested in the story.
Rating : 3.5 stars
I don't know why I saw this cover with a dog and thought that Kristan Higgins wouldn't completely gut me, but I did.  AND SHE DID.  I ugly cried so many times through this book, just like every other one of her novels.  I loved it.  I laughed, I cried, I was emotionally wrecked from her writing.  I wouldn't change a thing about it.  I just wish I hadn't taken so long to read it.  I love how personal she gets with very difficult issues.  I love that she has the ability to reach into my heart and yank it out.  I loved this book.  Never stop publishing her books, and I'll never stop reading them.

I will eventually feature this on my IG and blog.  I've been on a break from posting because of the racial tension in the US.  I feel at this point it's more important for POC and BIPOC authors to have the spotlight than it is for my own content.
An easy, lighthearted, quick read for times like these when you may find it hard to focus on heavier topics. I think every woman reading this book will see themselves in one of the characters.
Emma London would have never categorized her relationship with her grandmother - the famous designer Genevieve London - as loving. After losing her mother at eight years old, and when her father proved a less than willing caregiver, Emma was sent to live with her grandmother. Genevieve coming from an old-school blue-blood time, and suffering her own familial loss, she doesn't know really how to relate to Emma, but she make sure Emma is clothed, fed, schooled, and generally looked after. When Emma gets pregnant right after graduating high school, and wants to keep and raise the baby, Genevieve cannot believe Emma would throw all of her potential away like that. So she kicks her out and lets her make her own way.

Fast forward about seventeen years and Emma is now a, mostly, single mother to Riley. She worked hard to get her degree and works as a counselor. She hasn't spoken to Genevieve in all this time. That is, until Genevieve calls informing Emma that she's dying and she would like to meet Riley. Dangling a huge inheritance - enough to cover Riley's schooling - helps make up Emma's mind and soon they're off back to Connecticut for the summer. But all is not exactly how Genevieve has made it seem. Emma and Genevieve will have to reconcile a lot with the past if they want to make the most of the time they have left.

It took me a while to read and get into this book. Kristan Higgins is typically a read upon release author for me, but something about the tone of Life & Other Inconveniences had me hesitating at first. It's not an easy read for sure. It tackles issues such as death, suicide, child neglect and abandonment, missing children, bullying. It runs the gambit. It's also very generational. There's a lot of backstory that has to be incorporated because it influences where our characters are in the present, where they came from, and in a way, where they need to go. I liked filling in all the pieces and seeing how everything fit together. Seeing the layers pulled back on each character to see what, thus far, has informed their life. Why does Genevieve hold back her affections from Emma? Why is Emma a hypochondriac?

I really thought that the stories Kristan Higgins gave each character were fitting. I liked each time I had formed an opinion about a character just to have it turned around by some new revelation. And the revelations themselves were well done. Slowly unfolding in an organic way to the overall story, never seeming to come out of left field.

The relationship between the three female characters Genevieve, Emma, and Riley was my favorite part of the book. I loved seeing the progression of Genevieve and Emma's relationship contrasted with Emma and Riley's and then Riley and Genevieve's relationship. Then bringing it back around again to healing the fissure between Genevieve and Emma. I also loved seeing a story with a teenage girl and her mother where there wasn't any teenage animosity going on. I know that it's a real thing that sometimes happens in mother-daughter relationships, but it's not always the case, and I liked seeing the closeness of Riley and Emma without so much drama between them. It's also plays a huge contrast to how things stand between Genevieve and Emma.

Overall, it's a more somber read than what I'm used to with Kristan Higgins. I liked what the story says about the circumstances that change our lives and how we deal with them. It's at times hopeful and heartbreaking, but it definitely leaves you with a sense of lightness at the end.
Life and Other Inconveniences by Kristan Higgins is a great beach read. Light airy and easy to pick back up after not reading for a few days. You will find Emma and the other characters relatable and enjoyable. A great book to pick up now! Happy reading!
First, let me thank netgalley and the publishers for approving my request for an early release of this book.  All reviews of my netgalley books can be found on goodreads and youtube.  Please be sure to check out the links attached.
Another winner from Higgins, we get to know the characters and come to love them. Three generations of women that anyone can relate to and enjoy.
Family and forgiveness take the lead in this novel that is both entertaining and serious. Tackling topics like mental illness, aging relatives and difficulties in parenting, Higgins lovingly helps us understand the various perspectives of her characters. Flawed and familiar, Emma, Genevieve and Miller have a lot to deal with emotionally, but there are plenty of lighter moments in the book as well. Emma's return to her childhood home is an unexpected but important journey, a journey that is worth taking with her.
I am a member of the American Library Association Reading List Award Committee. This title was suggested for the 2020 list. It was not nominated for the award. The complete list of winners and shortlisted titles is at
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for my copy, all thoughts are my own.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I didn’t have plans to read this book this month, but I picked it up on my Kindle app one night with Brynn and then couldn’t put it down. I don’t know I was expecting but it was sad. It was just really heavy and such a good story. It is a multigenerational tale, most of the story is told from Emma & Genevieve’s point of view but we do get chapters from other characters. Miller’s story with his daughter (who is 3 like Landon) tore my whole heart up. This one is out now, check out the synopsis down below. I have Good Luck With That from Kristan Higgins so it’s definitely getting moved up my TBR list!
Wow - oh - wow does Kristan Higgins know how to weave a story!

The intricacies of this family were so cleverly put together and the drama was intense! If you've ever felt like your family had issues - this family has got you beat. Their issues have issues!

Who else can put together and story that is chock full of snobbery and privilege, a missing child, illnesses, death and suicide, abandonment and long held grudges, fame and fortune... and throw in a bunch of dogs and a fashion empire - and I was HOOKED.

I loved the characters - some I loved to hate. Ahem, Clark. And it was a bit hard for me to keep everyone straight at first! Mothers and fathers and grandparents and husbands and wives and exes... But I quickly caught on and got wrapped up into the drama of this hysterical and heartbreaking story of a family who has had so many inconveniences in life, that it's a wonder any of them are speaking!

My favorite character - Donelle and her ridiculous toe - was a silly and funny break in some very serious subject lines. Kristan's storytelling has the perfect balance of sweet and salty and just when you're about to bawl your eyes out - you snort laugh - and can't figure out if you are crying tears from sadness or laughter.

A fun, but sad story. A quirky case of characters, a plot that has you on your toes the whole time, falling for each and every family member, as the navigate the ultimate tale of second chances.
Kristan Higgins has become an auto-buy author for me. This book was beautiful, heartbreaking, hopeful and so well crafted! I felt like each character became a friend and I did not want to say goodbye at the end. Told in alternating perspectives, Higgins develops each character expertly, creating empathy and perspective. I wanted to hug every single one! Absolutely perfect.
There is nobody writing today who deals with relationships between people as well as Kristan Higgins, and I'm not talking about romance.  This story deals with a teenager, her mother and her great grandmother.  The relationships are all strained but very real.  The situations and dialogs could easily come out of real-life.  This is a bit darker than the usual Kristan Higgins novel, and while there is humor, there wasn't as much as I was expecting.  A slight disappointment, but it really didn't detract from the quality of the writing or the depth of the plot.
Heartbreaking and beautiful.

When I first tried to read this book, I could not connect with it. I tried several times but only made it to the first time Genevieve meets Riley. This time, however, I grabbed the audiobook (thank you special 2-for-1 sale on Audible) and it completely blew me away.

While this book does have light-hearted moments, it is overall a very serious book. It is full of emotion and love and although it is different from Higgins' fluffy books of the past, it is a breathtakingly beautiful story.
Really enjoyed this book.  The characters were enjoyable and felt real.  The issues they faced were tough and believable.  I will recommend to friends.
Super cute summer read! I really enjoyed this Women's Fiction novel and would recommend it for anyone who needs a palette cleanser.
Three stars: A book about change and growth, but I struggled with some of the characters.

Emma London hasn’t spoken to her grandmother in eighteen years, so she is surprised when her grandmother finally phones. Emma’s grandmother, Genevieve, claims she is dying, and she insists that Emma come and spend the summer along with her teenage daughter Riley. Emma resists at first. Why would she want to go back after her grandmother threw her out when she got pregnant her senior year of high school? Finally, Emma relents, not realizing that the summer will change all of their lives. Can they get over the past?
What I Liked:
*Life and Other Inconveniences is a book that was up and down for me. I struggled early on with many of the characters. Genevieve comes across as snobby, and I didn’t like her one bit. I also struggled a bit with Emma,Miller and Clark. The only character that I loved was Riley. Thankfully, after time and patience the majority of the characters transformed, and I liked seeing the growth. For me, this was a book that paid off with patience.
*The book is told with multiple view points. There is Emma, Genevieve, Riley, Miller and Clark. Each character is flawed, and they all face problems. Some of them encounter gut wrenching tragedy, while others take on their own set of troubles. Sometimes, they don’t handle things well, and other characters remain unlikable throughout. I appreciated the different voices, the unique problems, and I especially liked how each character dealt with their own circumstances. I found myself changing my opinion for most of the characters. I always enjoy a novel that features tremendous character growth.
*The story takes on many different topics from a missing child, death, tragedy and lots of heartache. I won’t lie, there is a lot of drama, but through it all there are beautiful moments as well. I loved experiencing the moments of forgiveness, kindness, love and understanding as well as a touch of romance and new beginnings. Basically there were lots of gray clouds and rainstorms, but every once in awhile a rainbow came through and it made it all worth while.
The ending was bittersweet. There is a sad part, but there is also closure, forgiveness and new paths for many of the characters. It was nice to see after the struggles, a bright spot of happiness.
And The Not So Much:
*Maybe it was just me, but I struggled with this one. I found the first part with all the tension and unlikable characters to be downright depressing. I almost quit the book a few times because I wasn’t connecting with anyone. Thankfully, after time and lots of patience things turn around for the most part.
*Clark was downright icky. I could have done without his view point. There was nothing redeeming about him at all. He dragged the book down for me. Yuck! I especially hated his final chapter, learning what he did.

Life and Other Inconveniences is a book I wanted to love, but unfortunately I found parts of it to be too dramatic, and I struggled with unlikable characters. This is a book that explores the complexities of relationships, and it is also a story of growth and change. Patience paid off, and I enjoyed the book overall, but I found myself wanting less drama.
Posted@Rainy Day Ramblings.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own, and I was not compensated for this review.
Emma London’s job a single mom to Riley has been her most rewarding one. Overcoming a heartbreaking childhood to flourishing into an independent psychologist, she has had her share of obstacles. One of which is her ice-veined grandmother, Genevieve London, successful millionaire creator and found of London Designs who raised Emma when she was dropped off by her father whom never came back for her.

As goes about life worrying about her daughter’s out-of-character mood, struggling to pay the bills and massive student debt, aging Pop who took her in when she was disowned by Genevieve as a pregnant teenager, she receives a call from Genevieve notifying her that she way dying and that she would like to finally meet her great-granddaughter by having them stay with her over the summer. With the prospect of Riley’s college getting fully paid by Genevieve’s wealth, Emma sets her pride in the backseat and packs up Riley with her Pop tagging along (to keep on eye on Genevieve) and head to Connecticut.

This is a story that will surely break your heart and mend it back together again. Emma’s struggles and hopes while being a single mom who’s trying to hold everything together garners sympathy and keeps you engrossed within the story. Overall, this was a fantastic read and I highly recommend it.

Here’s a taste of what you’ll expect.:

As Emma comes to the realization that her highschool boyfriend and Riley’s father, Jason isn’t going to stay with them as a family, she thinks, “No house with a stone wall. No blue couch, no puppy, no swing in the backyard. No tulips. The pigeon, who’d flapped intermittently all these years, finally gave up the ghost. I’d known all along that Jason would never come through. It was time to admit that.”
The plot of this book was reminiscent of Gilmore Girls: single mom, smart daughter, rich family background, but that wasn't enough to keep me interested. I usually give a book 50 pages, but 30 pages was enough for me to determine that I wasn't interested in reading more. Fans of Kristin Higgins may enjoy this novel, but having not read any of her books before, this one wasn't for me.